Legal advice on mod permissions

tankslayer367

Hey I have a question, I downloaded a unfinished mod (author has not updated it in 5 years) for Skyrim, he had claimed it was for SE.

His version was/is a half baked mess that kills your game, the way it was coded causes the game to crash at boot.

Due to the .dll file supplied being corrupt, and ALL the mod files still being in the old Skyrim file format!
Through trial and error and a good few days of bug hunting and re-formatting, this is now a fully functional MCM compatible mod designed to run with the current SKSE version (Oct 05, 2019). and is NVM compatible!

Can I upload this mod here without repercussions? Seeing how he's been offline for 5 years, and not on nexus mods?

And more importantly this mod is a requirement for several other mods here on nexus.

Edited by tankslayer367

From the Terms and Policies (link at the top of this and every page)

"Submission of existing user-submitted content without obtaining permission from the original author(s) of said content is strictly prohibited."

You know that you cannot upload the mod without the author's express permission. The time limit on copyright material is until the original author's death, plus 70 years.

If you upload the file here without the said permission, there will be repercussions. At the least, the mod will be taken down and you will receive a formal warning.

At worst, your account will be banned.

If your mod contains any assets that originate from another modders work, and you've been unable to get permission to reupload it, then that means you can't upload it; even if you credit the author and add a direct link to the original mod, that still won't cut it & you'll face disciplinary action from the moderators for breaking site rules.

However, if your mod doesn't contain (package up) any of the assets/files from the other mod, but simply contains references to those assets (in the case of a patch that requires the original mod to work) then you can upload it here on Nexus.

In this instance, you're not unlawfully distributing someone elses work, only your own.

Here's the thing, if you where to open any portion of the mod in question and compare it against the unfinished version, my mod files are in a different file format, rewritten to work with MCM, I had to hand write the new .dll files; and using creation kit recompile the entire mod.

Here's the thing, if you where to open any portion of the mod in question and compare it against the unfinished version, my mod files are in a different file format, rewritten to work with MCM, I had to hand write the new .dll files; and using creation kit recompile the entire mod.

In other words, I started with a half written Java file and finished with one written in C++, is it the same file? or is it my own?

Edited by tankslayer367