Unpacking the pakchunkX-WindowsNoEditor.pak with UnrealPak.exe

CuisinePK

UEViewer -> Right click on the folder/file -> Save Folder Packages

edit

UEViewer doesn't unpack .bin or the config files. It might cause issues with the game when repacking it, don't waste your time with it.

Do you know how to get the game to use edited files?

Do they need to be reimported to the pak archive or is there some file structure where loose edited files can be called?

I've tried the former but quickBMS says "0 files reimported" as a result.

RgyRpMQ.jpg

I'm trying to swap a couple of individual gamepad bindings (don't like any of the 4 supplied layouts) so trying to reimport the DefaultInput.ini. My edited file is the same size as Obsidian's file (78.3 KB )

edit

UEViewer doesn't unpack .bin or the config files. It might cause issues with the game when repacking it, don't waste your time with it.

Do they need to be reimported to the pak archive or is there some file structure where loose edited files can be called?

RgyRpMQ.jpg

I'm trying to swap a couple of individual gamepad bindings (don't like any of the 4 supplied layouts) so trying to reimport the DefaultInput.ini. My edited file is the same size as Obsidian's file (78.3 KB )

What files, the Config ini settings, hell no, why bother with that, I just used them in game, I made a mod with all the default Ini files repacked, just put then in the game

The Outer Worlds - Default Game Folder Ini's at The Outer Worlds Nexus - Mods and community

See this forum post, where I explain how user Config keybinds, differ from default ini ones.

The Outer Worlds - Default Game Folder Ini's - Forum - Post #7

You may have to do a little trial, and error to get it working via the user config Ini's, but editing default ini's directly is always an option

edit

RgyRpMQ.jpg

What files, the Config ini settings, hell no, why bother with that, I just used them in game, I made a mod with all the default Ini files repacked, just put then in the game

The Outer Worlds - Default Game Folder Ini's at The Outer Worlds Nexus - Mods and community

See this forum post, where I explain how user Config keybinds, differ from default ini ones.

The Outer Worlds - Default Game Folder Ini's - Forum - Post #7

You may have to do a little trial, and error to get it working via the user config Ini's, but editing default ini's directly is always an option

Yea, The problem is that Gamepad Bindings seem to work differently, probably because you have to choose a layout

"AddedActionKeyBinds=" and "RemovedActionKeyBinds=" doesn't work like it does for Keyboard. It basically ignores user created "RemovedActionKeyBinds=" so you end up with, say, Crouch AND TTD on the same button press.

"Read Only" doesn't work either. The game must be calling another file from somewhere and I'm guessing it's DefaultInput from within the pack file

No way to test it tho if I can't reimport.

Has anyone tried to interact with the .pak through the UE4 c++ api ?

I can't at the moment, but I saw that there is a module dedicated to these archives (module pakfile, see https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/API/Runtime/PakFile/FPakFile/index.html).

Maybe by crosschecking with the content of the bms script uhunuru linked we could get a bit more out of these pak files.

Hi, regarding mods, I guess we can't do much without being able to edit uassets.

Although we could theoretically replace files. For instance I find the gore in this game is baby low and that maybe switching all different death blueprints to dismember/gib and all ammo spells to shredded, could maybe help a bit.

But then comes this >

So far I tried naming the file to pakchunk2-WindowsNoEditor.pak & pakchunk1-WindowsNoEditor_0.pak . No luck. And also repacked & replaced a foreign localization pak to see if it would do any better.

I can then read foreign text ingame with no errors, so I know the modded pak is loaded and the pak's structure is correct. To quickly debug this I also replaced the Encumbrance effect with a pig-melee effect but I don't see any result ingame Nor am I able to run / nor the game crashes. I guess every time the game loads a world it will stream from it's base pakchunk0 & 1, overriding / bypassing the mod.

Maybe am I missing something else ?

Any idea ?

Edit : Moded language pak didn't work, it worked because I had a backup of it in a backup folder, looks like it will load any pak inside paks folder, even in subfolders. If you rename pak files they still load too.

Edited by Co0LcOrE

Hi All,

I did a (very) preliminary look at the UAsset files last night. They seem fairly simple in design at first glance. Basically a list of the various assets, checksums, asset type, etc. I'll try and do a proper file format spec soon.

Has anybody else looked at the raw files themselves?

Hi All,

I did a (very) preliminary look at the UAsset files last night. They seem fairly simple in design at first glance. Basically a list of the various assets, checksums, asset type, etc. I'll try and do a proper file format spec soon.

Has anybody else looked at the raw files themselves?

I've unpacked the 2 files using quickbms, but I can't view the .uassets, the .uexp and the .ubulk files inside Unreal Editor 4.23. Has someone already managed to edit the textures? Some audio tracks can be converted from .wem to .ogg, but I can't find the Spacers' Choice jingle file

@carter883 : Reportedly, data packaged by UE4 can, and are here, cooked. That means data necessary for the editor to open and process these files but not for the executables to use them are stripped from the packed files.

So it seems we can't use them as is with UE. Maybe the Ueviewer can extract and reinject graphic assets into the pak (idk), but I don't think you can unpack, edit and repack with the current bms script.

Now,the editor has a c++ api with a library dedicated to the handling of pak files, so maybe part of the solution lies there.

• 4 weeks later...