A world without cars

Akrid

http://www.delphi.com/images/vpr/products/segway.jpg

THAT is a segway for anyone who was wondering. Somehow I doubt they'll be replacing anything. :P Exept for that empty corner in your garage...

And about cars, someone said that pollution will only be a problem for 20-40 or so more years (with cars). What about the 100000000000 (approximated number...) cars already produced? Of course it would be nice if the owners of those cars just gave them up and bought the new environmentaly friendly new ones, but they most likely won't. What do you do about them?

Most cars made today don't last ten years, let alone 20-40. I seriously doubt that there'll be many people using them if there's a faster, cheaper to run and cheaper to buy alternative.

As for the cars currently in existence, that's what scrap yards are for. Eventually someone will have a use for all that steel.

I know what I could use all that steel for, to build a space ship, I want to get off this stinkin rock!

Theres no cars in outer space.

May I remind you that I live in Switzerland. Switzerland has the most dense net of public transport (mainly trains) in the world, even when about 70% of the country consists of mountains. So, if we can do it (and I tell you, public transport is used a lot in Switzerland), so can others. It will cost more in other countries, because they are bigger, but mainly the USA has more than enough money.

Yeah but there's only dust and rocks in space - I'd rather be driving down the highway in my MG* than drifting aimlessly in space.

*At least until it breaks down 500 metres from my driveway....

Ah, I broke down in Utah on a dirt road at 7.00 pm fifty miles from the nearest phone and with no cellphone available. That was a tad scary. Fortunately I was looked after by the Navajo, for which I am eternally grateful. Without a car I would have missed all that excitement.

And a big thank you to all the citizens of Montezuma Creek!!!

Try driving between Alice Springs and Darwin in Australia and breaking down. It took nearly two days for someone else to drive past and give us a lift. Ahh, happy days.

Anyway, Switzerland is a lot different to Australia and the US. For one thing it's a lot more compact - about a hundred Switzerlands could fit into Australia, but we have only 20 million people. And the number of people who'd use a Katherine to Cape York train would probably number in the single figures (if anyone would at all). Far better to let them drive.

But what if you force them to use public transport? I am 18 and I could drive a car. But like most other people in my age, I don't. Why? There are several reasons. Using public transport is cheaper. Gas is very expensive in Switzerland, like everything else. But gas is especially expensive because of the high government taxes on it. Then comes the high costs for only learning how to drive. One hour with the driving teacher normally costs you about 90 francs and you must know that driving tests in Switzerland are difficult, so you'll have to learn a lot and to take a lot of lessons. Then also cars are very expensive and you must let the car be checked at least once a year, which also costs a lot. So in the end, it is much cheaper to just use the public transport net, which is the best and densest in the world, almost every village has it train or bus stop (some even say every farm has one :) ). I personally have a GA (General Abonement), with this I can use any public transport either free or cheaper and only pay 80 francs per month (this is also because I have GA+, because my father already has one and so it gets cheaper for me ;) ). Fact is, the government in Switzerland encourages the people to use public transport instead of private vehicles. And they are successfull.

What are your fuel prices anyway?

Ours are currently E 1.25 per liter for normal, E 1.35 for plus and E 0.85 for diesel.

Heh, I got my drivers licence, but I go to my work (8km from home) by bike. I also go to the city (12km) by bike.

In addition to the insane fuel prices, you also have to pay insane amounts to OWN a car. Not just insurance, but road taxes as well. Insurance is 150-200 Euros per month and you pay an additional 50-60 Euros on taxes. So no thanks.

Archived