WHy is the console such a taboo ?

devilrejected

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to use the console mainly for facilitating screenshots but my favorite use is for running batch files,I use Deadly Dragons so there is a lot of potential for NPC wastage so at the start of every new game I run a batch file which sets most NPCs (abot 150) as essential - this also deals with the random vampire attacks that Dawnguard added.I use several other batch files for various purposes - removing the glowing eye bug for example.

I see no problems using the console what so ever,it's a powerful tool with many uses and I would rather have access to it than not.

While the console can be used to cheat, you can cheat in the opposite direction. Instead of using it to defeat your enemies, you can use it to make life more difficult or at the very least, more challenging. One of my favorite bat files contains the following line: player.placeatme 000728AC 25 - good times at high level, quite scary or fatal at low level.

@Aliera Caine -- go to your forum profile, edit it, and change your "member title".

Only after you get 500 posts. That's why my title for a couple days was "Finally allowed a title" :P

Shows what I know. didn't even know it was an option. just went and investigated, saw it, and tried it...

Thanks for clarifying, because tried to find it, today and other times before. Now I have a goal!

@Aliera Caine -- go to your forum profile, edit it, and change your "member title".

Only after you get 500 posts. That's why my title for a couple days was "Finally allowed a title" :P

Shows what I know. didn't even know it was an option. just went and investigated, saw it, and tried it...

I don't understand posts like this, or why people are even concerned about others' opinion. Do whatever you want. It's your game. You paid for it. Everything is acceptable, from not adding a single mod, to modding the game insanely and using the console however you want. Even modding the game in the CK yourself is fine if you don't like the way something is. There is nothing sacred about the way Bethesda chose to balance the game ( Does anyone think the dragons were strong enough? No way). And even if there were, the instant you add a mod that affects game balance or adds more powerful enemies, it becomes voided. People are feeling guilty like they are cheating in a single-player game if they use mods or the console? Come on. That doesn't make sense. Just have fun with it. Install SkyModMod, Monster Wars and OCS. Spawn a horde of dragons with the console. Then spawn an army of Imperial Solders to battle them. Then have them get attacked at the last minute by Stormcloaks and then Thalmor. If the game were actually more complete, the quests might be more engaging, and the world more interesting. But my recollection of the vanilla game from many months ago is that Skyrim was a barren, empty world. Of course, don't listen to me. Play however you want.

Let me highlight some "fine prints" : using console commands is considered cheating if :

- there are rules (did anyone say a game was THAT WAY and NO OTHER ? Please, wake up...)

- it changes the game in the way it shouldn't have been

I personally use console commands because sometimes the game doesn't work like it is said to be working. You know what I'm talking about, broken quest lines, NPCs dying even if being essential, etc...

By the way, I have a character that cannot benefit from the "fear" howl because one of the quests from the companions just bugged. I had to take down an escaped criminal and Vilkas won't accept the fact that I DID take care of the said criminal. Any tips ?

I would call the game itself as the boundaries for the rules.

Though of course things like bugs are unintended by Bethesda.

As an archer, if you run out of arrows your pretty much f***ed. Using the console to give you arrows in a tight spot i don't consider cheating.

There are many other skills to level in the game that can be used as back up moves or can be used in combination with being an archer. Don't see a fighter as being that good if s/he's a one trick pony anyway.