ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

someone must know why game crashes upon save

Georgiegril

My game will load, and if I am able to save on the current loaded savegame, I can go all day, not troubles. Until the next time I boot up skyrim. At that point my game will load as if there is nothing wrong, but when I try to save it will crash to desktop. If I go back far enough, I can find a working game, and then start the whole thing over....and then the next time I boot up, it happens again. Always CTD when saving (manually) never when trying to load. I did not update any files before this happened, At first I thought it was related to a certain dungeon, but I am now pretty sure it is all over Skyrim. I removed all my weapon/armour mods to rule those out. I am running SkyRe, and I have carefully reinstalled it twice, the non-dawnguard version as is appropriate for my game.

I have tried uninstalling mods, running/adjusting my load order using BOSS, rereading all my mods to make sure I wasn't missing a required file...verifying cache file, making sure the save folder is isn'tt read-only, dropping all my equipment/armour/companions etc. I tried using player.kill; I guess that worked for someone, but not for me. I also did basic computer maintenance. I have skse and uncapper, and skyui. launch using the skse tab.

I am at the point of having to start all over with a fresh install and new game. I am trying, probably in vain, to avoid that.

I have googled, searched this forum....it seems there are a few posts about this here and there, but no solutions and no explanations about what would make a game load and save fine all day, and then the next time I boot up skyrim a previously working save CTDs.

I know there are tons of extremely smart, experienced people here...Even if I can't save my game, I would really like to know what would cause this.

Usually killing your character or double-loading fixes that problem. If that's not working, you have a very stubborn bug which I have not encountered in any of the Bethesda games. There is a savegame scanner mod on the nexus, which will allow you to see what is inside the saved games. I'm not sure that would help. Otherwise, possibly mod cleaning with TES5Edit would help. I would make a backup copy of your Data folder prior to extensive mod cleaning.

Another thing you could try with a game that won't save is to use the console to teleport the character to a simple interior cell and see if it can be saved there. You could try saving from the console, using a command like "save savegame1". You could also try loading an earlier save (that worked) for the same character, then immediately loading the broken one. See if that allows you to now save the broken save. There is some initialization that occurs when Skyrim loads. It is able to re-use this when a new savegame is loaded for the same character (apparently). If the problem is occurring during initialization, then finding a save that initializes correctly may allow you to subsequently load and save one that does not.

Edited by blitzen

I had very same problem about 5-6 months ago it was only solved by a clean install. Removing one mod at a time to try and trace the crash made no difference in the end I assumed that it was a mix of mods and so I installed it clean (well a steam backup). Now running only minimum mods its fine. Some people seem luckier than others with masses of mods. It was not a performance issue as I have a very high end computer and no other game with mods had any problems like this one.

No luck. If I can find a game that will let me save, I'm fine from there. But opening it back up, the last saved game (and likely any from the previous session) will not allow me to save, even if I do the double load thing. To clarify...I can get a game to allow saves, and can continue from there until I close out skyrim. However, the next time I boot up, not of those saves will allow me to continue saving from it.

I don't have any experience with TESedit, and so I think at this posint I'd do more har than good. I will look into the savegame scanner.

Thanks for your help though. Looks like I need to start getting myself enthusiastic about starting a new game......

@sadboy...Because I've been using skyre, I have hardly any mods, but your solution is the one I figured would work--I just hate to give up a level 80 character after all this time. :-( Thanks for your help!

No luck. If I can find a game that will let me save, I'm fine from there. But opening it back up, the last saved game (and likely any from the previous session) will not allow me to save, even if I do the double load thing. To clarify...I can get a game to allow saves, and can continue from there until I close out skyrim. However, the next time I boot up, not of those saves will allow me to continue saving from it.

I don't have any experience with TESedit, and so I think at this posint I'd do more har than good. I will look into the savegame scanner.

Thanks for your help though. Looks like I need to start getting myself enthusiastic about starting a new game......

@sadboy...Because I've been using skyre, I have hardly any mods, but your solution is the one I figured would work--I just hate to give up a level 80 character after all this time. :-( Thanks for your help!

Ya my heart goes out to you I hate to have to re-install games and my lovely mods as I love my mods :)

The creation Kit Is basically the same in all Beth games Like morrowind etc but if your not a modder the painful re-install is the horrible solution. at least you could level quickly in the console commands if you wanted to :)

(Excuse my Google Translator English :) ) typo typo typo :_)

Edited by sadboy

Do you have any older mods in the list that would have added navmeshes? At one point I was very much convinced I had a lot of problems because I had old mods created with an earlier version of the CK, possibly when the navmesh bug was introduced, and it seemed to cause conflicts of some sort with any mods I installed that added new structures with navmeshes that were created with a newer CK version. After I removed the old mods, things seemed to improve significantly. I also allowed me to upgrade to version 1.7 of Skyrim, which did not seem to work as well with some of the earlier mods. I have not had a problem with saving though, except for some rare occasions after modifying a character using showracemenu, and trying to save the changes. I did have the saving issue you are having with Oblivion or Fallout at one point, but killing the character and having the game reload fixed it. I think it was Oblivion. If you do decide to clean some mods out, try removing very old ones first, mods that were not updated using a newer CK version.