Help the Homeless

Zahnrad

One thing that has always bothered me in Skyrim is the Beggars and others in extreme poverty seen across the cities. I've always wished I could help them more besides a single septim. On occasion I've kept spamming them gold coins.

I want to help invest in them, and turn them from being homeless beggars into at least lower or middle class civilians with some proper clothes and shelter.

Given Skyrim has limited housing and building them houses would probably conflict with something, my idea is to help invest in them so that they can use the local taverns or inns as refuge at night, and to purchase them proper clothes for the everyday.

Help them become self-sustaining, and instead of begging everyday they could be seen walking amongst the town and chatting. (if the dialogue for it exists)

If there is going to be changes to the towns and cities themselves, sleeping rugs could instead have a market stand placed on top of them to show them having a simple job in trading. Beggars always have connections with the Thieves Guild, likely still in contact and for helping renew their life, I'm sure they'd be happy to barter stolen goods too.

To make this feel more immersive, it's probably a good idea to remove the dialogue option to give them septims.

This could conflict with players being unable to get the Gift of Charity effect, so to combat this.

If all eligable NPCs have been "restored" the Gift of Charity becomes a permanent perk instead of a temporary bonus.

I do like the idea of more interactions with the homeless, although I think it might be fun doing a beggar lord roleplay playthrough, building a little homeless society in like riften or markath, coming to kinda build a homeless society, giving out tasks that reward them for working for you, while building up a underground shanty town lol.

It's not as in-depth as what you've described, but there's a mod called Charitable Soul, which allows you to give the homeless 1000 septims, and/or give them decent clothing. It has a flaw, however, in that the gift really doesn't change anything and, usually, I go back to town to find them back in their beggar clothes with no money.

Another facet of the mod, the reason I use it, is that it also allows for enchanting and recharging with sigil stones, which are plentiful and considerably cheaper than soul gems, and to not require souls to work.