hi Is it easy to install mods on fallout 4 PC?

Irek1994

I

Is it easy to install mods on fallout 4 PC?

1>) I was thinking about buying fallout 4 on Steam for all the good mods but im not sure how easy they are to install.

2>)I would like you to help me install mods on fallout 4

Hi Irek. I have to agree that it's very easy to install mods for this game.

As far as us teaching you how to do it.... I'm sorry, but you're asking for a lot more than you know you're asking for. That's a huge, very broad request.

Some will say to take the easy route, and use a program like Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) or Vortex. Myself, I prefer to go old school and do it all manually. Less chance of screw ups.

Make sure that you have a program that can handle the standard types of archives that we use here. Those are .zip files, .rar files, and .7z files. (Double checked, yeah...I didn't type "flies" by accident).

Those are all what are called compressed archives. You have to have a program that can open those types of archives, in order to get the mods out. Which is called Extracting.

You will want to become familiar with a couple of folders on your computer. One is your My Documents/My Games/Fallout 4 folder. The other is the directory that you installed your game into. Specifically the Fallout 4 folder, and especially the Fallout 4/Data folder.

IF you're gonna go with modding manually, I'd strongly recommend an alternative to windows explorer. I personally use Q-dir (It lets you have 4 folders open all in the same window. Makes for VERY easy Drag N Drop (DnD) or Copy n Paste (CnP) of files or folders, from one folder to another. Which, going manually, you will do a lot of. I especially recommend Free Commander, because it uses Dual Pane (Two folders) but also supports .zip files, and has plugins to handle the others. It also can preview .txt files, hex files, and binary files. Which can sometimes come in handy.

Both of those also let you set favorites. So you can set your folder that you download your mods to as one favorite, your MyGames/Fallout4 folder as another favorite, and your Fallout 4 folder as another favorite, and get to all of them much faster and easier.

You are also going to want to get familiar with NotePad. When you start out, you're going to have to do some editing to file types that are called .ini files. To open a .ini file, you right click on it, choose open with, then find notepad in the list. A good thing to learn about notepad is to use Ctrl key, and the F key. That opens the search function so you can type in part of the word you're looking for, and notepad will find it for you.

One thing I highly recommend, if you have a hard drive that is big enough to let you do it. CONSTANTLY backup your installation folder. And CONSTANTLY backup your save games. I backup my Instal directory at least every week or so. It's saved me from having to completely reinstall my game (That;s a couple of hours of waiting for it to redownload!!) on a couple of occasions. Saving your save games is also important, because sometimes bugs can be caused by failed scripts, which will corrupt your savegames. Without the backups, you're stuck making a new character!

Another thing I recommend, is get a notebook. Start making a record of what mods you install, and when. This way, if something gets all screwy, you can get a general idea of when you installed something new, that probly caused it. Also helps in case you have to reinstall your game!

Lastly, don't buy the game through steam.

Make yourself an ebay account if you don't have one already. You can get FO4 GOTY (Game of the Year, it includes all the DLC's) steam keys for cheap. Like, around 15-18 dollars on ebay. Just make sure to check the feedback the seller has. If they have a bunch of Negative, or Neutral feedbacks, look at somebody else.

Lastly, once you get it, do NOT start the game up through Steam, after you've gotten it installed. Steam will CONSTANTLY reset or overwrite some of the things that we do to make mods work. Or update your version of the game, and make you wait on some of the tools we use to catch up, so that you can use some of your mods again.

No problem :)

For a large majority of the mods, it's pretty simple. After you download the, just extract the from their archives. Some people will extract the directly to their fallout4/data folder. I prefer to exract them to the folder that I downloaded the to, then copy and paste them to the data folder.

Some mods require more than that, but those mods usually have instructions.

After installing the mods, you will want to start up the game, and you will see a list of options like Continue, New, Load, etc. The one you will want is MODS. You'll have to have an internet connection, or that will stay grayed out. It sometimes takes a minute, to come into effect before you can use it.

After that, click on MODS, and then chose from the options to go to LOAD ORDER. From there, you can activate your mods, so the game will use them. You can also set what's called the LOAD ORDER from there.

Load Order is sometimes necessary, because some mods dont play well together. Some of them have to be higher in the list than others, and some have to be at the bottom of the list.

If you don't want to use the in-game load order tool built into the game, there are managers that you can install to your computer, such as Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) or Vortex, or LOOT, and a couple of others. Tho, as I said, I'm oldschool, so I haven't used those programs enough to be able to give much advise about them.