Version and Exit Crash Problems

PrimeOoze

Hello everyone, new to modding and having issues yet again. Began learning about mods a few days ago. Installed GOTY(from disk) and relevant patches along with OBSE, BOSS, TSE4, and OMM. Installed a couple mods(making sure I had necessary add-ons and that there were no conflicts between mods). Cleaned what needed it, ran BOSS for load order and changed manually what it didn't have in Master or couldn't do properly. Everything running well at first then started getting texture issues and problems got worse. Ended up removing everything to do with Oblivion then uninstalling, doing regedit check, defrag, and running CCleaner then reinstalling game and mods.

Problem solved..then a different problem with crashing began. Next step was checking off each mod/patch one at a time to see if one of those was the problem and it wasn't. Long story short I've had to reinstall 4 times now because every time I seem to fix one thing, another problem starts which is worse than the previous. This last reinstall now shows I have beta version of game instead of the usual 416. Naturally OBSE gave an error so I started game with vanilla launcher and sure enough it's showing as beta.

I patched the game(which of course I shouldn't have had to do)then restarted game with original launcher and it no longer shows as beta, though I still can't open OBSE. I don't get the window saying to upgrade anymore, it just starts opening with the usual black window then goes back to desktop. Launching with OMM does the same. No problem starting or playing the vanilla game. The issue there is crashing on exit.

I've tried Fasttrack, typing qqq in console, and Alt + F4 and still crash at exit which wouldn't be so annoying except I have to do a reboot each time since I never get mouse cursor back. At this point I'm at a loss what to do. Any help to get these issues resolved would gain my undying gratitude. I'll even name my first-born after you(if the name isn't too weird).

Edit: forgot to mention I use Windows 7 Premium 64-bit , Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, 9.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450(if it's relevant).

Edited by PrimeOoze

It sounds to me like you installed an incorrect patch (Beta), although that should not have been possible. Did you install Shivering Isles from the second disc?

Yes, I used both disks for installation then added the patches. From there I installed OBSE and others then a couple mods. Now the game is back to just Oblivion and Shivering Isles(with patches).

Edit: Made sure I had the right patches before installing.

Edited by PrimeOoze

I thought the Game of the Year version was already patched up to version 1.2.0416 (the latest version) after you installed SI (second disk).

It's supposed to and it did up until the last reinstall, then it showed as beta for some odd reason. I figured if the game was going to act the opposite at that point then I would try to resolve it doing the same. Just a trick I thought might work but it didn't so I removed it.

It sounds to me like you installed an incorrect patch (Beta), although that should not have been possible. Did you install Shivering Isles from the second disc?

Yes, I used both disks for installation then added the patches. From there I installed OBSE and others then a couple mods. Now the game is back to just Oblivion and Shivering Isles(with patches).

Edit: Made sure I had the right patches before installing.

I thought the Game of the Year version was already patched up to version 1.2.0416 (the latest version) after you installed SI (second disk).

It's supposed to and it did up until the last reinstall, then it showed as beta for some odd reason. I figured if the game was going to act the opposite at that point then I would try to resolve it doing the same. Just a trick I thought might work but it didn't so I removed it.

I'm sorry, but your last comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially considering your previous comments. I'm lost...

Ok,, I'll reword it. At first install I had Oblivion, Shivering Isles, and Knights installed.then installed the patches for them,then installed OBSE and others, then 2 mods. I did all the steps necessary before beginning to play. The game played fine at first with the 2 mods then began having problems even though I knew I had done everything right. It escalated to where I had to reinstall. At 2nd install it again started fine with the same set-up as first install but this time the problem was with crashing on exit.

I then checked to see if Oblivion, the expansion, their patches, or the mods were the problem and they weren't. Did another reinstall only this time I left out the mods and still was getting crashes on exit. Again I reinstalled. Now we're on 4th install.

Still getting the exit crashes with only the vanilla game installed(fasttrack, qqq, and Alt + F4 don't work) plus it now shows as being beta when it wasn't beta before even though Shivering Isles is installed. Since it looked as though the beta patch wasn't installed from Shivering Isles I then installed the beta patch to see if that would work but it didn't. The only thing the patch did apparently was change the version number to 416 but it was still in beta, and it stopped OBSE from showing the upgrade error but OBSE still wouldn't load and neither would OMM.

Hope that helped.

I am still confused. The GOTY version of Oblivion / Shivering Isles is all patched up -- there is NO reason to install any Beta patches, nor any other. Why are you doing this?

Well I don't know what else to say. I've explained twice that the game was showing the beta version on the 4th install even though Shivering Isles was installed. Why it did that I don't know. It was the first time it happened which is one of the reasons I posted here in the hope that someone could solve the problems . The only reason I installed the beta patch was on the off-chance that somehow the patch didn't install from the disk. It was just a shot in the dark that didn't work.

After 4 days of non-stop aggravation and little play time I'm trying anything since nothing else I've found seems to work. As soon as I fix one problem I get another, or 2 or 3. Just did another reinstall and going to try one more time. If it doesn't work this time then I give up. Really wanted to play the mods but if it's not meant to be then I'll just move on. One answer I found on the internet suggested that it's possible my computer is just too new to play the game.

Your computer is not too new -- my rig is way above specs (and new), and it plays Oblivion just fine.

The only advice I can give you is to install ONLY that which is on the GOTY disc. Stop installing unnecessary Beta patches, or any other, and install weOCPS and Fast Exit for your crash on exit issues.