Script Dragon/Dual Wield Parry problems

AlexisCasting

Information:

System: Win 7 64 Bit

Skyrim version: Latest

Script Dragon version: 1.7.7.0

I'm a spellsword, so I've been salivating over the Script Dragon version of the Dual Wield Parrying mod.

Except I can't get it to work. I installed Script Dragon but it doesn't seem to be awake. Unsurprising, considering the guide was incomprehensible to me.

"When game launches it loads dinput8.dll, dinput8.dll loads all *.asi libraries

from the game directory, first loaded *.asi plugin loads ScriptDragon engine

library ScriptDragon.dll, all other loaded *.asi plugins are using previously

loaded ScriptDragon.dll. While further loading *.asi registers itself in the

ScriptDragon.dll. When game will be loaded each *.asi script will be restarted.

Scripts are not working while menu/map/etc is active, for example if you will

open console all scripts will be paused until you close it."

^ Greek.

But I understood the "place bin folder in Skyrim folder" bit well enough:

"Copy all contents of the 'bin' folder to the game folder (where TESV.exe is),

if you don't need ScriptDragon example plugins (*.asi) you may delete them

and corresponding *.ini files. Asi plugins also can be place in the '<game>\asi'

folder."

So I did that.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac58/Mirrorway/Picture3-2.png

I don't even see an asi folder in my Skyrim folder so I'm a bit bemused about that particular part of the instruction. Even so, I created an asi folder and put the relevant files in there, but it still didn't work. Not even sure what those .asi files are for anyway.

Then there's the actual Dual Wield Parrying mod, I suppose, but I've gone over it several times and I can't figure out where I installed Dual Wield Parrying incorrectly, if I did. Pasted the mod's Data folder into the Skyrim > Data folder, clicked "merge," copied and pasted the single Dual Wielding Script Dragon .esp file. Made sure the mod was checked in the Data Files menu of the Skyrim launcher. Nothin'. I hit the V button and my character doesn't parry.

Assistance? I'm kinda hopin' for one of those nice "oh I was just a moron, all I had to do was flip this easy little switch" fixes.

The mistake is you did copy the bin folder itself instead it's content. I mean, you must have the DInput8.dll and the other files there in the main Skyrim root folder and not inside a bin folder (which needs not and actually should not be there).

Edit: Steam being installed at C:\Program Files (x86) is already bad news. If you haven't yet a big library you should consider reinstalling Steam in a user created folder.

example: Install it directly at the C: so it will create it's own Steam folder there. You could even install it in another partition case you have more, like D: and so on.

This alone will spare you from many issues associated with access rights in most modded games, like Skyrim itself and many others.

Edited by nosisab

In the archive you need to open the bin folder, then extract the files in there to your main skyrim folder (so dinput8.dll is in the same folder as TESV.EXE)

The asi folders don't exist by default, you can either create them yourself and put your plugins there or some mods will have them in those folders. asi files are the plugins used by script dragon.

Asi plugins also can be placed in the "asi\", "plugins\" and

"data\asi\" folders relative to game root dir (where TESV.exe is located)

scriptdragon will check if any of these folders exist and load the plugins from them if found.You can also dump them in the main skyrim folder (but some people like to keep their folder structure tidy :) )

Edited by acidzebra

Sweeeeeet. All right, I put the raw files in the Skyrim folder and killed the bin folder.

@ nosisab: I bought the retail disc version and it auto-installed there. Are you saying I should completely uninstall the game and reinstall it in C:? Does this mean deleting and re-downloading the game? It took Steam two entire days to install Skyrim the first time around. I'm kind of horrified at the prospect of going through that again. I had to download it in fits and starts, and it moved at a snail's pace. If I let it download constantly it would run down my download allowance with my ISP, so I had to wait until after 2 AM every night to download it during the 2 AM - 7 AM free download window. It was not fun.

@ acidzebra: Does it matter if the .asi files go in Skyrim > asi or Skyrim > Data > asi? Seeing as how file paths seem to matter a lot and all. Dual Wield Parry installed its .asi files into Skyrim > Data > asi.

WHOO! IT WORKS!

Ha ha! Spellsword! Blockin' with mah steel! Look at that! Parry! Riposte! Chain lightning! Power slash! Fireball! Heal wounds! Parry again! BOOM! I am a true swordsman and a true mage! No longer must I be forced to choose 'twixt the two! FREEDOM!

You guys are great. Here, have an assortment of Invader Zim themed cupcakes.