BLOG PIECE: Nexus development and expansion philosophy

Dark0ne

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the cookie Dark One..been awhile since I posted..Finished Skyrim, and got lost in Mass Effect Universe, that I had not yet played.. played them all..

I only wish the ME series was really modifiable, like our Elder Scroll series..

However the reason this Irish lass, supports this place, got a lifetime Premium membership, is the input we get from you the updates, an keeping it all together for us., this community, with great modders..an well family..like coming back and finding an old chara has become a Moderator..;) Tis all great..

Its a homey community here, you stay away for awhile,OK occasionally I would come back and say hi .. can't stay completely away..Eh you know play another game, or series in my case.. then out comes DLC's for Skyrim,,always back again for now one comes back to great modders who have created so many fantastic mods, that your playing a new game again..after updating everything properly.. Its great..

Ah Dark One good on you, for all this..good on you!!!!

@To the poster @ setiwebs no-one answered your ? yet I believe.. Dark Ones statement.." Unfortunately the site was (and I'm not afraid to say this) pants.

You asked.. Pants?

Its Brit slang, for basically, always hard to describe with exact words, 'pants'...unless your the one saying it, basically...its' bad'..or pants up,' gone bad'..or downright shite, if ones being right plain, sounds so much better from this side of the pond eh..'pants'...depends on the depth in which it was said..and the one doing the saying.. got the general idea I hope..lol

Anywho shall have some Irish coffee with my cookie now..Dark One..I shall say thanks once more, for this place ever so much, and the great update posts you do, that are clear intelligent and quite down the lane of what I think as informative...and caring..keep up the good work mate..

Keep up the great work Dark One.. Best money I ever spent becoming a lifetime Premium member..I live on a very limited income, la, eh that's how much I love this place you've created here, this community, it was worth it, eh I knew I keep coming back here,.. I don't say much in forums any more, the mods I always comment on, and great post like this updating us.. I am here everyday now checking mods just like before..even updated my avatar to fit my new wood-elf self..Just like as I said just coming home, to support this place I been enjoying since 07...

..Sláinte!!!!

A person of your caliber, thinking, and consideration was the right person to lead this community on a good path. Nexus was and is an excellent community, where sharing and communicating through mods really enhanced the gameplay and enjoyment of different PC title. That said, excellent work, what you said about Nexus being a community rather than a business is exactly the spirit of this network.

And yes, I'd want a cookie right now :)

I'm amazed to hear that there are any gaming communities that DON'T want a Nexus site, since I was thrilled when you came to the Witcher forum and offered to host a site for Witcher mods. (Just out of curiosity, who doesn't want a Nexus site?)

Thanks for all that you do for the gaming community!

Love the sites you have created over the years, and was very happy to show my appreciation for that work with a bit of cash. I agree we have a great community here. Perhaps the best I have seen among the various fan/mod sites for the games i have played over the years. One thought I would offer, if I might be so bold is that perhaps you might worry just a little less about "stepping on toes" when it comes to other modding communities out there, and whether Nexus might have something of value to offer to them, their members, and fans of the game(s) they support.

Here in America, for example, we had the Big 3 in the auto industry for the longest time. But without any really competition the price of the cars kept going up, even as the quality fell. It got to the point where each of the Big 3 had almost the exact same line up of cars with the only noticeable difference being in the colours of their paint pallete and the symbol on the hood. Nexus is a great community. We have people willing and able to criticize bad work without flaming, and in most cases that criticism often comes with some helpful advice. We have an amazing talent pool of modders, and yes even if I do say so myself, an even larger pool of mod users who are always willing to cheer on their favorite mods / modders and even reward them with their votes, and their praise, and their cash ; p What gaming community wouldnt appreciate that?! I would suggest you let your interests first, and the cumulitive interest of others who express an interest/desire for a Nexus site for a particular game be your guiding light.

Ya once I really got into the site I was ok with giving up some cash, due to the already huge impact that recent games have had on my disposable income I won't be able to be subbed al the time but will give some money gladly for such a well put together site and service, thanx.

It took me a few months of enjoying this site before I became a premium member but I felt guilty enjoying so many mods with such great work done by others that I felt like I should give back some!

Thank you for all your hard work (to everyone involved on the Nexus site) and please keep up the good work! :)

"At the end of the day I do not run the Nexus sites with a businessman’s head. My aim isn’t to increase page views/premium membership/revenue year on year (if it was I’d be dinging out Nexus sites like there’s no tomorrow), it’s to run sites that actually benefit, support and compliment a community, with emphasis on the compliment aspect rather than trying to over-run a community and move everyone away from the sites and official forums that are already entrenched within that community."

Interestingly, its this approach that more businesses *should* take. (The old fable 'slow and steady wins the race' comes to mind). If you were to do the scattergun approach of starting a nexus site for every game and then seeing what sticks, you would have a much higher failure rate and destroy the reputation of your brand.

So kudos on being a responsible community member AND a sound business manager. Hopefully others learn from your example.

Well, I didn´t become a premium member because of bad dreams -if you get my drift-. Nope I did that because this is a site that is whorty of my membership !

So there !

/Propp

PS. I may not have noticed , but why not make something special out of us premiummembers ? An extra icon or something - not that I need it, but it might get a few more ppl to adhere ...?

/Chris

PSS. Why not getting the old M&M games ? We are a lot of diehards out there :)