Download problem

samadchaz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Things are improved from yesterday; however, still getting quite a bit of "Server busy x/10" attempts before finally getting through.

Better, but still not perfect...

There have been some serious backbone problems on the Internet generally this past week. If anyone wants, I can source an article from Above Top Secret wherein they have graphs and the time the weirdness started.

There has been a much higher than normal rate of dropped packets, largely in the NE United States, but this began before the superstorm. I imagine it's much worse now.

I too am experiencing issues with downloading mods through the Mod manager and Nexus site.

I consistently get the "Server busy: retry" attempts message and, more recently, am noticing mods will download, only to be flagged as "Incomplete: could not finish the download". The issue is preventing most, if not all mod downloads from occuring on my part - even though the Nexus itself still logs my individual downloads as being successful.

I too am experiencing issues with downloading mods through the Mod manager and Nexus site.

I consistently get the "Server busy: retry" attempts message and, more recently, am noticing mods will download, only to be flagged as "Incomplete: could not finish the download". The issue is preventing most, if not all mod downloads from occuring on my part - even though the Nexus itself still logs my individual downloads as being successful.

A workaround that has done well for me is to use DownThemAll, as it uses bit-counting and continual crc checks to get a complete download. where firefox will pretend the download is finished, DTA will show you that it's not, and allows you to 'continue' an incomplete yet stalled download, and you can set the automatic retries to "unlimited". So when I was downloading Apachii's Goddess Store, I used it and got the whole thing in one night, in one try (on a day which was particularly bad for internet service).

A workaround that has done well for me is to use DownThemAll, as it uses bit-counting and continual crc checks to get a complete download. where firefox will pretend the download is finished, DTA will show you that it's not, and allows you to 'continue' an incomplete yet stalled download, and you can set the automatic retries to "unlimited". So when I was downloading Apachii's Goddess Store, I used it and got the whole thing in one night, in one try (on a day which was particularly bad for internet service).

Going back tonight. the issue still persists with Mod manager giving me "Retry/Error" results. However, manual downloading through the Nexus appears to work flawlessly - provided the traffic is low enough to prevent related issues.

How many different problems we have here?

(1) The incomplete download problem that started at summer.

(2) If user closes the Download File dialog, the download stops;

somebody here browsed the Nexus sites and succeeded to

repeat the download stop, perhaps differently than me.

(3) Mysterious internet packet loss started before superstorm.

The number of downloaders are now 800+. I suspect the problem

(1) just gets worse the more there are downloaders.

Yesterday got 140 MB ok at second attempt, but just a few

minutes ago did not get 7 MB with a few attempts.

Rapidshare gave incomplete downloads starting Jan 2012,

but it works now; cured sometime this fall. Server upgrade?

Definitely time for a server upgrade, or splitting the sites between different servers (I've no idea how Nexus is actually set up). I've been trying to download mods the last couple of days, after setting up a new PC, and basically it's like pulling teeth. Manual downloads send me to the "file hidden" (they're not) dialogue 19 times out of 20 and NMM keeps re-trying, re-trying, re-trying.... At this rate it'll take weeks to re-populate a single game with mods. Edited by Belfaborac

I've been experiencing a lot more difficulty downloading from this site as well lately. Getting lots of page load errors, server unavailable and overload errors. In my experience, such things only occured once in a while typically, but for the past few days they occur very, very frequently.