patch install

shayden117

the error i get is the one about the old file missing but a new one of the same name was found

Then you are using the wrong patch. It is as simple as that. What version of the game do you have?

What do you mean by 'the very first oblivion'? That does not tell me what version you are using. If you look at the bottom left hand corner of your main menu screen, you will see your version number -- mine is 1.2.0.416.

The point is, you are trying to patch the game; you are getting the 'new one of the same name' notification. This means that you are using an incorrect patch.

As Striker879 says, it is important to know if you are installing Shivering Isles. If you are, you do not need a patch. If you are not, then go to this page and download the correct patch.

Direct links:

If you have a US version, download this file.

If you have a European version, download this file.

My advice is to download both while you are at it -- if the one doesn't work, try the other.

If you have any other localised version, see the page I pointed you to.

As Striker879 says, it is important to know if you are installing Shivering Isles. If you are, you do not need a patch. If you are not, then go to this page and download the correct patch.

Direct links:

If you have a US version, download this file.

If you have a European version, download this file.

My advice is to download both while you are at it -- if the one doesn't work, try the other.

If you have any other localised version, see the page I pointed you to.

I have the same problem as OP.

Oblivion_v1.2.0416English.exe does not do the patch for me. It says "old file not found etc. etc." same as OP.

I have version 1.1.425

Don't TELL me I don't need a patch because I'm planning on installing Shivering Isles. Tell that to the dev for OBSE whose little kit won't play nice with my version! Installing Shivering Isles doesn't fix the version number, does it? OBSE apparently checks version and won't install/run for any other than the latest (416) patch.

I want to install the patch. I just reinstalled Oblivion. I have a virginal install from a DVD that came with Bioshock in an "Award Winning Combo" pack. It was cheap and I'd never played Oblivion before. Last time it was in the default path, so I thought that was the problem. Last time I was getting error "Old file not found" without the extra bit about another file with the same name. FYI I had installed the 1.1.511 patch, and thought THAT was giving the problem.

Honestly, I'm starting to think I'll just buy the GOTY edition and be done with it. This is getting ridiculous. But if I can avoid spending that 20 bucks i would rather.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to my patch advice - It's been used by hundreds if not thousands of people over the years. :thumbsup:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4308516/1/#new

This is essentially the same thing Hickory said, but worded a little differently and with a bit more info.