Who First....Vampires or Alduin?

StayFrosty05

I am shortly starting a new game and have been thinking about what quests my Dovah would do first and why....Though it's not so much fun completing the Main Quest early in the game, I would have to stretch it out giving him time to level up...RP him hunting out the words first as his training as such.....I have been thinking wouldn't it make sense to kill Alduin before tackling the Vampire (Dawnguard) crisis? Alduin is THE most immediate threat in that he is going to destroy the whole world, anything you do prior to taking on Alduin would all be for nought if he wins and destroys the world....Which quest would you do first....Main Quest or Dawnguard....and your reasons for your choice?

I would kill Alduin first, mostly because I like having Dunrenvir... or w/e his name is, telling me news of Alduin's defeat reached even his ears.

Also, I do believe that DLC content, while doable whenever, is assumed to be done in order of rlease, so you have a continuity thing gong on there.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I've never managed to finish the Main Quest before the Dawnguard one. Everyone says Dragons are the immediate threat, but then Vampires will attack the towns and be a pain until you finish them off (unless you side with them, then it's just hunters, supposedly). The Dragons mostly mind their own business unless you're pretty far into the main quest.

I think the best way though, is to not try to separate the story arcs, and to do the quests based more on their general proximity to each other. If you're being sent to that tomb to retrieve the horn, well, that cave the Dawnguard sends you to is nearby, so why not? This is also assuming you don't fast travel though. Next step is obviously, take Serana home, to be rid of her annoyingness. Choose your own path from here. ^^

It's a little hard question if you want to complete the one that represents a bigger threat, because Alduin can( and if you let him, he will) destroy the world, but the vamps also are a threat, as they want to end the tyranny of the sun, and just think about it, there is a lot of vamps out there in Tamriel, and if the sun is no longer a trouble for them, we will need to protect our necks.

My opinion is that you need to destroy Alduin first, because is the main quest.

Edited by Dovahkiin069

alduin might be the larger threat; however, which threat is closer to home? alduin is taking time to gather his forces and prepare himself, while vampire seem to be murdering people at random from the getgo. if you have 3 vampires right in front of you and a dragon off in the distance which threat seems more urgent? just IMHO as always.

I'd go with the Vampires first, but that's just me - I tend to completely forget about main questline (especially in Skyrim) in favor of all those bigger and smaller side quests and because of that, I also tend to go through any DLCs first, seeing them simply as a secondary questlines to be completed before the final quest, i. e. killing Alduin. For me, showdown with the World-Eater in Sovngarde means the end of the game (that is, if you did all other questlines and have really nothing more to do in Skyrim) and for that reason, I'm going to kill Lord Harkon first and then get back to already started main quest by disrupting that little party in Thalmor Embassy.

You'll need an item acquired during the main quest in order to proceed through the DG main quest, so keep that in mind.

But you don't need to do the main quest to acquire this certain item.

Wow, now that I think about it, you could work around it, I guess. Never tried the back entrances to get there the first. I have a fear of screwing up quests. Quest prompts don't get ruined by picking up this item before you receive the quest, I take it.