Trouble with Landscape LOD generator and TES4LODGen - The don't work

Dimitrisgb

Well, rats. I thought we might be getting somewhere. Is that the path where you have Oblivion installed? The default location would be (C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data). A lot of people recommend installing straight under C: like this (C:\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data). Where did (\Gms\The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion\) come from? With your data folder being under (The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion) I'm surprised it works at all.

Well, rats. I thought we might be getting somewhere. Is that the path where you have Oblivion installed? The default location would be (C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data). A lot of people recommend installing straight under C: like this (C:\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data). Where did (\Gms\The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion\) come from? With your data folder being under (The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion) I'm surprised it works at all.

Oh, it's in Program Files, not Program Files (86).

On second thoughts I don't see anything wrong with your path (C:\Program Files\Gms\The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion). I assume that's what you specified during installation. Sorry, my mistake. I see people saying Program Files is no good because of UAC and they may be right but I have a few computers with Oblivion installed in Program Files with no problem but I have UAC turned off. I have the slider all the way left whatever that does.

I don't want to advise on turning off UAC. I don't know if it really has any effect on a program that is running. All I know is that with it turned on every time I try to run an executable program I get a pop up window that asks me if I really want to do this and I'm always going to say yes because I wouldn't be running the program in the first place if I didn't really want to do this. So, I can't see the point so I turn it off. I only have experience with XP and Win7.

1) What OS do you have?

2) I have to make another correction. I said before I don't have a Tamriel.cmp. I see now that in fact I do. I don't know how I can search for .cmp one day and get 8 files and do the same search another day and get ~30 files including Tamriel.cmp. Win7 has known bugs in it's search function is all I know.

3) You could do some serious reading on UAC. If TES4LODGen is written in C language or C++ and it wants to overwrite or create a file, I don't think UAC is going to stop it even if the folder is in Program Files. I could be wrong so take this with a grain of salt. The name User Access Control implies it is for controlling the user, not every single program that wants to write into the Program Files folder. I know I'm going against the grain here but that's my opinion.

4) I did a google search and back in 2014 someone had what looks similar at first glance. I haven't looked into it yet.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/51500-tes4lodgen/page-34&do=findComment&comment=12888188

5) At the top of the Posts page there is a link called FORUM THREAD. It has a search function that is fairly flaky but if you search for Tamriel you get some results.

6) I read somewhere that TES4LODGen is a part of TES4Edit so when you run it the results will be in the TES4Edit log. I have verified this. For a test you could run TES4Edit and see if you can modify an ESP and save it. If you can then I don't think Program Files is the problem.

Edited by chambcra

I don't want to advise on turning off UAC. I don't know if it really has any effect on a program that is running. All I know is that with it turned on every time I try to run an executable program I get a pop up window that asks me if I really want to do this and I'm always going to say yes because I wouldn't be running the program in the first place if I didn't really want to do this. So, I can't see the point so I turn it off. I only have experience with XP and Win7.

1) What OS do you have?

2) I have to make another correction. I said before I don't have a Tamriel.cmp. I see now that in fact I do. I don't know how I can search for .cmp one day and get 8 files and do the same search another day and get ~30 files including Tamriel.cmp. Win7 has known bugs in it's search function is all I know.

3) You could do some serious reading on UAC. If TES4LODGen is written in C language or C++ and it wants to overwrite or create a file, I don't think UAC is going to stop it even if the folder is in Program Files. I could be wrong so take this with a grain of salt. The name User Access Control implies it is for controlling the user, not every single program that wants to write into the Program Files folder. I know I'm going against the grain here but that's my opinion.

4) I did a google search and back in 2014 someone had what looks similar at first glance. I haven't looked into it yet.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/51500-tes4lodgen/page-34&do=findComment&comment=12888188

5) At the top of the Posts page there is a link called FORUM THREAD. It has a search function that is fairly flaky but if you search for Tamriel you get some results.

6) I read somewhere that TES4LODGen is a part of TES4Edit so when you run it the results will be in the TES4Edit log. I have verified this. For a test you could run TES4Edit and see if you can modify an ESP and save it. If you can then I don't think Program Files is the problem.

1) What is the OS?

3) How do you read the UAC?

5) The search function doesn't work.

6) I thing that TES4EDIT doesn;t work either.

If you don't want to turn off UAC then reinstall Oblivion outside of the C:\Program Files(x86) folder (UAC-protected).

I don't know how I can search for .cmp

That's easy to search for a file extension. Just type " *.cmd " without quotes in the search field at the top right in Windows Explorer.