⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

SKSE loader opening TESV launcher?

Smile443

Hi all,

I seemed to have solved this by setting the skse loades to "run as administrator" (my old version was, but since updating SKSE i had forgotten to change this setting). Not entirely sure why this is a problem as I had UAC turned off anyway, but it does seem to have got things working again so I hope it works for somebody else too.

That fixed my issue, thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Running the SKSE launcher as an administrator fixes the problem for me as well. I'm assuming Skyrim updated or Steam updated in the past few days so that's why I had this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I ran into this problem after verifying my game files and doing a backup (which I had to run Steam as admin to do). Running SKSE as admin worked, but trying to run SKSE through NMM ended up giving me the same results as if I was running Skyrim through the Steam launcher (which for obvious reasons I didn't want -- I need SKSE to run SkyUI and my other more intensive mods). I solved the problem by exiting Steam and running it again as a normal user, as it turns out that Steam was still in admin mode and was not letting SKSE run like it was supposed to.

• 5 months later...

@rbingham2000, that exactly solved the problem for a guy I'm doing PC support (he breaks things on a regular basis) .

One of his failures was that he didn't log off his steam account correctly, he thought closing the big window does it. Well, it does not, of course.

The second failure was using steams built-in feature to break modded games. It's what steam calls "verify integrity of game cache". (Never, ever EVER do this on modded games. Period.)

Point is that steam needs a restart do do so and guess what? It also needs administrator settings. After messing around with the installation and breaking some ini files it just stays in administrator mode until you log off or reboot.

If you are doing reboots, that is. Not only going to suspend mode, like "my" guy does all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I was running 1.7 and had the latest SKSE running fine. I tried updating it but the next version requires 1.8 patch from bethesda - so I got that as well - still same problem.

Yes if steam isn't running in the background then the game launcher starts up but I am having this problem despite steam running in the back ground. It is as if the skse launcher is being redirected to launch the main game launcher however I try to use it. Like I said a baffler. I am going to try renaming TESV launcher in my skyrim folder to see if that helps or even removing it altogether. I will post my results.

Edit: Renamed skyrim.launcher in the skyrim folder and this has solved the problem - Yay.

I've had the same problem after updating. I tried renaming skyrimlauncher.exe like you said however I then get a "This game is currently unavailable" message from Steam.

Thank you so much! I should have thought about that from the start!

I set the skse_launcher to run as Admin and that solved this problem for me.

I second this. Right click on SKSE_Loader, select properties, Compatibility, at the bottom select the box that says always run as administrator, click apply, and never have this problem again. ;)

• 5 years later...

I set the skse_launcher to run as Admin and that solved this problem for me.

Doesn't work anymore though. It opens the standard launcher regardless. Wouldn't be a problem if running the launcher wouldn't automatically update the game and thus break every single SKSE plugin.