The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

don't have the disposable income to spend on a premium membership to a site where the payment doesnt go to the content creators.

Um...

First of all, if you can't afford to spend US$2.99 for a month of Premium membership (which includes the Supporter role for a lifetime), playing games and downloading mods aren't going to lead you to the promised land.

Second, the Nexus shares a percentage of Premium membership revenue with mod authors across the network in the form of Donation Points (DP).

aon9IJt.jpg

89.9% of the payouts to mod authors is sourced directly from Nexus revenue. The 10.1% remainder comes from the Mod Author Donation Fund.

Edited by fireundubh

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The change to the way the website is handled was jarring. After the big Stardew Update, suddenly being shamed for not being a premium member with every updated mod I download is... horrible, honestly. It's making me less willing to update mods now, and is concerning for the mod I'm making- if others are less likely to download mods due to this change, what would be the point in uploading one?

Dark addressed the change in the Mod Authors Discord a few days ago. The rate at which users are upgrading to Premium membership has increased significantly.

Don't believe the lies and distortions by forever free users; the change has so far proven to be a massive boon to the Nexus.

The rate has gone up because people are being fooled into thinking they need premium. We've already had several new mod users in our discord very confused and thought they had to buy it. And not all of us are free users.

If after reading the download screen people are under the impression they NEED Premium, then I suggest they take a class in reading comprehension.

Nowhere does it imply that premium is Necessary, it only compares the benefits and drawbacks of both.

All I see are people doing Olympic Level Mental Gymnastics to come up with reasons why they should never "have to" pay.

Guest deleted34304850

@minervamaga you're right of course. There's a reason why loot boxes, deceptive download buttons, premium SMS scams, fake antimalware, spyware etc. are such a "massive boon" for those who run them.

that's some quality conflation right there. i hope you get a good supply of tinfoil for your hat this christmas.

@minervamaga you're right of course. There's a reason why loot boxes, deceptive download buttons, premium SMS scams, fake antimalware, spyware etc. are such a "massive boon" for those who run them.

Are you SERIOUSLY equating a 5 second download screen with SMS Scams, Loot Boxes, Fake Antimalware, Spyware etc?

You've got on Association Fallacy, along with a Hasty Generalization and a Red Herring all rolled into one there.

The change to the way the website is handled was jarring. After the big Stardew Update, suddenly being shamed for not being a premium member with every updated mod I download is... horrible, honestly. It's making me less willing to update mods now, and is concerning for the mod I'm making- if others are less likely to download mods due to this change, what would be the point in uploading one?

Dark addressed the change in the Mod Authors Discord a few days ago. The rate at which users are upgrading to Premium membership has increased significantly.

Don't believe the lies and distortions by forever free users; the change has so far proven to be a massive boon to the Nexus.

Well, looks like the Nexus is making enough money now that they can turn this off. I know they won't, and well, congrats on 5% freemimum conversions? 3%? I don't care which.

The rate has gone up because people are being fooled into thinking they need premium. We've already had several new mod users in our discord very confused and thought they had to buy it. And not all of us are free users.

don't have the disposable income to spend on a premium membership to a site where the payment doesnt go to the content creators.

Um...

First of all, if you can't afford to spend US$2.99 for a month of Premium membership (which includes the Supporter role for a lifetime), playing games and downloading mods aren't going to lead you to the promised land.

Second, the Nexus shares a percentage of Premium membership revenue with mod authors across the network in the form of Donation Points (DP).

aon9IJt.jpg

89.9% of the payouts to mod authors is sourced directly from Nexus revenue. The 10.1% remainder comes from the Mod Author Donation Fund.

So if they can pay out 101k, why do they need money? No, seriously. (If you're thought is: it's a business, they exist to make money, I'll remind you that CAN is not SHOULD.)

If after reading the download screen people are under the impression they NEED Premium, then I suggest they take a class in reading comprehension.

Nowhere does it imply that premium is Necessary, it only compares the benefits and drawbacks of both.

All I see are people doing Olympic Level Mental Gymnastics to come up with reasons why they should never "have to" pay.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/01/wtf-is-dark-pattern-design/

https://medium.com/beautiful-code-smart-design-by-10clouds/5-common-ux-dark-patterns-interfaces-designed-to-trick-you-61fdede9718c