The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

Second, the Nexus shares a percentage of Premium membership revenue with mod authors across the network in the form of Donation Points (DP).

So if they can pay out 101k, why do they need money?

to pay out 101k

If after reading the download screen people are under the impression they NEED Premium, then I suggest they take a class in reading comprehension.

Nowhere does it imply that premium is Necessary, it only compares the benefits and drawbacks of both.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/01/wtf-is-dark-pattern-design/

https://medium.com/beautiful-code-smart-design-by-10clouds/5-common-ux-dark-patterns-interfaces-designed-to-trick-you-61fdede9718c

You blatantly don't understand what a "dark pattern" is, and either plucked those articles off of Google without reading them, or read them and failed spectacularly at understanding them if you even tried at all. None of the examples in the articles you've linked to line up with what the Nexus is doing.

You linked to those articles as a (lazy) way of rejecting someone else's statement that the Nexus doesn't trick people into thinking that Premium is needed. A picture's worth a thousand words, so here's a picture showing how the Nexus doesn't trick people into thinking Premium is needed:

Uo0V8nF.png

Now, if the Nexus form looked something like this (which I've actually seen on random websites before), then you'd be on to something:

7mwa6vh.png

Fortunately, it does not.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, nitpicking over definitions, my favorite argument (I'm also pretty sure this qualifies, if I'm *very honest with you*, but I don't really care to get into an argument with that.)

. No, I was more thinking of the register screen which makes it not obvious how to sign up for free (and was responding to the general attitude instead of just the download screen)

Oh man, nitpicking over definitions, my favorite argument (I'm also pretty sure this qualifies, if I'm *very honest with you*, but I don't really care to get into an argument with that.)

. No, I was more thinking of the register screen which makes it not obvious how to sign up for free (and was responding to the general attitude instead of just the download screen)

"I wasn't wrong! You're just nitpicking, and also I was thinking of a completely different thing that I wasn't replying to and didn't mention."

wow lol

yeah, i think that's enough for me. i'm out

Edited by DavidJCobb

Guest deleted34304850

What's it like to get one-shotted with facts? Did it hurt? I read it and I felt like it hurt.

"I wasn't wrong! You're just nitpicking, and also I was thinking of a completely different thing that I wasn't replying to and didn't mention."

wow lol

yeah, i think that's enough for me. i'm out

I mean, I'll cop to not being clear at all. I won't apologize for my dislike of semantic arguments to avoid the point. You *are* just nitpicking if you think that these aren't at all confusing. (Maybe dark patterns wasn't the best term? Regardless.)

Well, looks like the Nexus is making enough money now that they can turn this off. I know they won't, and well, congrats on 5% freemimum conversions? 3%? I don't care which.

Your reasoning is flawed.

The Nexus has 18,000,000 members , that's EIGHTEEN MILLION Members.

Of those 18,000,000 million member, approximately 126,000 have a premium membership.

That's an awful lot of bandwidth to pay for, especially when only a small fraction of people pay for memberships.

Only .007% of that 18 Million have a premium account.

This is why websites disappear.

18 million total members, but an active month to month user base of maybe, 5-5.2 million members. Please don't use total usercount when it's a useless metric for month to month.

It's not a useless metric, it shows out of the TOTAL users, how many users actually give a damn enough to buy premium for a site they say they 'love'

Also, OK, so lets say 5 - 5.2 million members as you suggested

So that means we're up to a whopping 2.5% of that 5 million paying for premium, and only 2.42% out of 5.2 million.

So, my point is still valid.

https://blog.asmartbear.com/freemium.html

I'll quote the relevant bit:

A really good conversion rate for free-to-paid is 4%, like Dropbox. Awesome for them, but normal rates are more like 1%, and that’s if users are reasonably active.

I surveyed a dozen small startups who don’t use freemium, and on average they see a 1% conversion rate from web traffic to a (real, not “free”) purchase. [uPDATE: Andy Brice has much more data which supports this simple assumption] Even assuming you can get a higher website-to-signup rate for a freemium offering (you’d better, right?), you only get paid on on a few percent of those, which means your total conversion rate of web visitors to actual money is 20-100x worse than other startups.

If after reading the download screen people are under the impression they NEED Premium, then I suggest they take a class in reading comprehension.

Nowhere does it imply that premium is Necessary, it only compares the benefits and drawbacks of both.

All I see are people doing Olympic Level Mental Gymnastics to come up with reasons why they should never "have to" pay.

Sakorona has already addressed this, but I'll add on. What about users who speak English as a second language, or use a translator to access the site? What about users with screen readers? There are more examples, but the point is, this is what's referred to as deceptive marketing (iirc), the same as a shady third party sharing site. I think it's a shame that a well respected site has to resort to a tactic like this, honestly. Not that it matters to the Stans who are targeting and harassing users here in the thread, in a section that is dedicated to user feedback to the site admins. Not to other members, not to some random Joe, feedback to those who actually run the site.