The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

The main issue I have with the new change is the fact that the feature has been purposely added to inconvenience non-premium users

The change was made to promote Premium memberships. That you find a business marketing its offerings inconvenient or annoying is a personal problem.

I will admit I have never had, and still don't have, any intention of buying a premium membership. I have never been bothered about the features it offers such as uncapped downloads or how many mods are listed on a page (the only two I actually know of) and modding for me has always been a free hobby that I don't spend money on nor do I wish to ever make any money from it.

So, continue using the free services you are being provided. They haven't stopped being free.

But there is no reason that I should have to pay for extra features that I do not want or need

Then don't.

If the site is struggling with costs, and asked for donations, then I would 100% have contributed and still would if asked

The Nexus isn't a Kickstarter campaign.

I certainly wouldn't pay because a new inconvenient step in downloading files which emphasizes the fact that I do not pay had been introduced without warning.

The Nexus doesn't owe you anything.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main issue I have with the new change is the fact that the feature has been purposely added to inconvenience non-premium users

The change was made to promote Premium memberships. That you find a business marketing its offerings inconvenient or annoying is a personal problem.

Yes, but the way the change was implemented has directly added an extra step to an existing process. And you could also argue that it is advertising, which I as a supporter have paid to not see. As far as I am concerned, Premium memberships have always been promoted well enough in the integrated banners, without the need for the deliberate extra redirect when downloading.

You know what? Its not even just dumb, I don't have the money to spend on premium. I'm already tired of having to re-download, re-patch, re-merge mods that are broken by Creation Club updates. Now there's this dumb extra two windows and countdown which keeps me away from playing my game for even more time, and when you have multiple mods that need updating its super noticeable. All this does is make me not want to play anything or even use this site.

Guest deleted34304850

A whole series of conflated arguments to paint yourself the victim. Nicely done.

1. You could, of course, protect yourself from being hit by creation club updates. i mean the processes and procedures around that have been out for over two years. if you've not protected yourself from that, then that's no-one's fault except your own, and has nothing to do with this issue.

2. you are not being forced to spend money. if you don't want to go premium, click the slow download button and be done with it.

I mean, come on, at least try.

You know what? Its not even just dumb, I don't have the money to spend on premium. I'm already tired of having to re-download, re-patch, re-merge mods that are broken by Creation Club updates. Now there's this dumb extra two windows and countdown which keeps me away from playing my game for even more time, and when you have multiple mods that need updating its super noticeable. All this does is make me not want to play anything or even use this site.

Premium is $2.99/mo, a LOT less than what you pay for internet access.

Yes, but the way the change was implemented has directly added an extra step to an existing process.

Oh, no! One more button!? Whatever shall we do! THE SKY IS LITERALLY FALLING. :rolleyes:

And you could also argue that it is advertising, which I as a supporter have paid to not see.

You could also argue that "ad-free" applies only to third-party ads in the ad rotation.

Premium memberships have always been promoted well enough in the integrated banners

As of April 2019, only 0.7% of the Nexus' 18 million users have Premium accounts.

I just think it's disheartening that a site built around a passion we all share, be it using or making mods, can be so easily changed to favor users based on whether they pay or not.

Of course I am owed nothing by this site, nor have any grounds to demand anything, especially as a free user myself. I understand it costs the owners money for servers and that the staff should be paid for the time and effort they put into maintaining and updating the site for all of us. If I have come across as entitled or complaining for the sake of it in my previous posts I do apologize as that wasn't the intention, I am just genuinely concerned by the connotations behind the change.

I just wonder what has caused the sudden and abrupt push for users to upgrade to premium, if not money. These last few months of my time on the site, first with the banners and now the download redirect, has been the only real push on premium memberships I have seen in my several years here but with no reason why. Yet again I understand it is the choice and right of the owners to do whatever they want, but when a site that is usually so open and engaging and asking feedback from all of its users stops doing so and implements a change that impacts the majority of us it is concerning.

And if it is money related issues, why didn't the owners feel as though they could call upon the community and ask for donations rather than a change like this, which clearly does favor paying users and which has sadly caused a clear divide in the user base just by reading the replies in this post alone. I, and I am sure the majority of other users of this site, premium or not, would most certainly help the site, and more important the community that uses it, in a time of need.

Like I said before, it is disheartening, even scary, that such a large part of the modding community, and certainly the part that introduced me to the hobby, could be changed like this for no obvious reason. Of course in the grand scheme of the site this is a small change, but it just feels odd that I myself was asked for feedback in the site redesign and was kept updated with news posts throughout that whole process and made to feel like part of the community with absolutely no mention of the fact that I am a free member, to be met with a change like this that is now suddenly reminding me that I am just that. And no whilst I am definitely not being forced to pay, it certainly seems as though the suggestion is there if I want to go back to the same experience I have had for years prior.

It also makes me think that if changes like this can occur, and that anybody who is speaking out is constantly being told to either pay up, deal with it, leave etc., then that in the future access to these sites could just as easily be taken away from non-paying users completely and without warning, in the same way this change has come about, and that those who have paid simply wouldn't care, even though in reality we are all just as equally invested in what is arguably the largest community of enthusiasts in the modding hobby as a whole.

I would hate for this to be the beginning of the end of the very inclusive community and hobby that I have had the pleasure of being a part of for years here on the Nexus.