What personal rules do you play?

slainia

@Brandy_123 - Since you touched the subject of the Vigilants, I should inevitably say that I think they're quite hypocrites, since I don't think that the God of Mercy would want people to be slaughtered just because they don't worship their gods. Besides, they quite remember me the Inquisition, so it's another rule I follow that I didn't mention. I always kill them on the rods, even if it means getting a bounty :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I depends on the type of character I'm playing as. I have four saves and they all have different "personalities". One of them is the ultimate good guy and only kills baddies or what he's forced to. One is a Daedric worshipper who does everything that the Daedra wish. Another one is an assassin who does whatever benefits him the most. It all depends. My number one rule across every play through though is that I can only fast travel to major holds (Like whiterun) or major villages (Like ivarstead).

@ BarbasTheDog

Oh, I do understand what you are saying. I like them because they are not Racially motivated, Class specific, or Quest happy. Usually when you spot them, fire salts are nearby. THey also will heal you if you have been diseased. I role play most of the time I did play adn seeing someone that wouldl assist you is a good thing.

Stendarr isn't the God of Mercy. Standarr is the God of Merciful Forebearance and Righteous Might... Following the rules of governing law (whatever that is - programmers giving witness to chickens and such I presume :tongue: )

I guess its all pointless really. Even Bethesda can't stick to their own lore and reasons we have for doing things based on that fact is all faulted at its core. So, Lore - IMHO - is what you make of it in your own game. In my game, Thalmor are the stink of the cesspools and Stendarr is pretty ok. ;) :)

Exploits Exist To Be Exploited: The cardinal rule. If you can have infinite Destruction magic, you should have infinite Destruction magic. It stands to reason that any reasonably intelligent magician would have figure that out. Same goes for any other kind of exploit. If it's something I can imagine my character actually figuring out. it's fair game.

The Game Is Supposed To Be Fun, Not Challenging: Some people consider fun and difficulty to be the same thing. I don't, and since there is no high score to brag about, I will play the game on whichever difficulty I find enjoyable.

I Said The Game Is Supposed to Be Fun, Dammit: If I find that the game is somehow preventing me from having fun (usually by being stupid and arbitrary) I consider myself perfectly justified to use console commands to correct it. If, for example, my character is unable to climb or otherwise overcome any obstacle a reasonably fit human would not realistically have much problem with, I will use TCL. Or, if starting a quest requires something that cannot be reliably obtained, for example having to pony up a freaking Flawless Ruby for the privilage of speaking to Periyte, I will teleport to Qasmoke and get one out of the Misc Items chest. And so on.

Style Before Substance: I will always wear whatever equipment I think looks best on my character, even if there is better stuff available. This means that I will usually not wear the best armors, and will I only rarely wear complete armor sets. (I tend to prefer combinations.) For the same reason, my characters will usually pick a "signature weapon" and stick with it as much as possible. Followers get basically the same treatment.

All The Money In The World Belongs To Me: I generally don't steal. Not for any particular moral reason, it just isn't my style. However, something I learned from playing Fallout 3 was: It is very easy to exploit an economic system if every merchant in the world has to buy whatever you offer them, and cannot refuse to sell you anything you want if you have the money to pay for it. The key is to have a large, steady suppy of something reasonably expensive that you don't particularly need, and to make sure to buy everything you want first so that the merchant has more gold to pay you with. Doing this well enough lets you walk up to a merchant, buy anything you need, and then walk away with all his money, including whatever you just spent. No matter which character I play, I have yet to create one that doesn't consider this a great idea.

Corollary: Arrows = Gold: Arrows have no weight, which means that they are basically the equivalent of gold - the very abundant steel arrows can be sold for 1 gold each, and even iron, forsworn and falmer arrows can be sold for 1 gold a piece after a certain point. Thus I always pick up any arrows I find, regardless if my character is an archer or even owns a bow. Just having them is the equivalent of an extra stash of cash, plus they are perfect for taking that last handful of gold from the merchants.

Edited by Relativelybest

Well, as I've said before, my character is basically me, transplanted to the world of TES, so he acts as I would act in his situation.

My main rules are:

1. Don't steal what you don't need to own.

2. Don't kill what doesn't need to die.

3. All bandits need to die.

4. All Thalmor need to die.

5. The Dark Brotherhood need to die.

6. If a follower dies, they stay dead.

He has one main position in Skyrim, holding the title of Thane (Knight) of Whiterun. He takes this very seriously (wears Whiterun guard armour and wields the Axe of Whiterun in combat), doing his best to look after the hold and its people. He has purchased land at either end of the main North-South road through the hold and built houses there. The road is now regularly patrolled by him or by one or other of his housecarls.

Being a Breton, he is a talented mage and has taken some time away from Whiterun to study with a master wizard on Solstheim (while simultaneously investigating the origin of an attempt on his life) and intends to further his studies at Winterhold when time allows. He maintains a small 'museum' of Dwemer artifacts and other items of historical value in one of his houses which happens to be situated close to several Dwemer ruins.

He recently acquired a coat of the type worn by the Skaal of Solstheim, which he now wears whenever travelling in colder regions.

Edited by Tundrastrider

Only 3 personal rules:

1) Leave Giants alone. Unlike the rest of Skyrim they seem to be the only ones not bothering anyone so why bother them? Unless there is a rogue Giant on the loose, I give the ones in their camps and patroling their immediate countryside a wide berth.

2) I sell back all harvested items from farms, I'm not a thief even if the game says it's ok to just take it an leave.

3) One thing Heimskr says in Whiterun square I simply cannot forget "The Imperial machine enforces the will of the Thalmor against it's own people!". So whenever I see them doing that then they get dispatched with extreme prejudice. Doubly worse when it's Nords doing the Thalmor's bidding against themselves.

It depends on my character, but some of my universal rules are:

(1) - Must Eat, Drink 3 times a day, and Sleep at night for 4-9 hours.

(2) - NEVER use Followers.

(3) - Always side with Stormcloak's (Especially in Warzones)

(4) - Never Kill Parthurnax

(5) - NEVER fast travel/carriages (unless Scenic Carriages)

And depending on my Character the rules differ: i.e: Mage (Only magic and rarely bound weapons), or Racist Nord (Only weapons, and uses archery rarely.)

I try to never play sneak/thief except If the dungeon is particularly hard and I need that triple bow damage.

Torn on the never kill Paarthurnax thing. Only real reason I've ever found not to kill him is the ultimatum the Blades give you, like you really need them or something. They need you to justify their existence, not the other way around.

Funny how killing every other dragon in Skyrim is not only acceptable, it's basically demanded - yet there is supposed to be some special reason for not killing one of them? His own words suggest that eventually he may turn away from the path he's chosen and it seems over time that may be more likely once Alduin is out of the picture since it seems he's lived his life as the anti-Alduin.

Torn on the never kill Paarthurnax thing. Only real reason I've ever found not to kill him is the ultimatum the Blades give you, like you really need them or something. They need you to justify their existence, not the other way around.

Funny how killing every other dragon in Skyrim is not only acceptable, it's basically demanded - yet there is supposed to be some special reason for not killing one of them? His own words suggest that eventually he may turn away from the path he's chosen and it seems over time that may be more likely once Alduin is out of the picture since it seems he's lived his life as the anti-Alduin.

He's the one who trained you, the only one who understands your power, and the way he speaks to you (Love the voice acting). To me he's basically my grandfather and I do NOT want to ever see him killed. I actually wiped out the blades once they suggested that, and there were mods to add an option to not kill him yet. Oh and I much prefer the Greybeards to the Blades. :P

He's the one who trained you, the only one who understands your power, and the way he speaks to you (Love the voice acting). To me he's basically my grandfather and I do NOT want to ever see him killed. I actually wiped out the blades once they suggested that, and there were mods to add an option to not kill him yet. Oh and I much prefer the Greybeards to the Blades. :P

Actually he never trains you other than giving you one word so that he can see if you are Dragonborn. Being Dragonborn you basically train yourself anyway like all Dragons do. He does sound rather grandfatherly though.....

Something about his words "never trust another dovah" just can't escape me.