All mods removed/reset upon loading saves

0Anesthetic4u

I had the same issue i have 263 active plugin and FS4E sim settlement and scrap everything the problem come from 3 mods together or perhaps the interaction between them.

So like when i install i mod it can make FS4SE doesnt launching the message fallout 4SE its not correctly installed after that i load the save and bam naked personnage quest reset and all modded stuff gone.

So again like save bleed bug and luckliy if i save enough i can still save half the character it happened a few weeks again when i wanted to install a ammunition mod Professionnal ammuniton crafting (PAC) the mod at first didnt make the famous F4SE bug but after i quitted the game and relaunched i had the F4SE message.

So i lose my character level 60 and i had made a few save so the last good one was the level 30.

I use nexus mod manager and no i dont use tool to sort my load order at first i just installed mod without checking.

Anyway after that i reinstalled all mod and sorter everything myself in a logical sequential fashion :

First heavy scripted mod and overhaul sim settlement radstorm etc...

After aesthetic mod cbbe etc...

After Power armor

After armor mod

After that weapon

in the last scrap everything and the vault 88 crash fix that must be a culprit for the problem.

It helped but i did remove a lot of save fo be sure.

I had a character level 120 but its gone.

I know that i need to remove scrap everything but the game design in settlement is to horrible and unless i find a mod that remove all building in settlement i will never build in those ugly place

I am sorry i am dont have any solution to save character save i tried falrim tool to no avail.

I guess you cannot salvage a corrupted save first fallout 4 save system is defaillant in is vanilla form so if you add mod it make the thing more complex.

Now when i install a mod i make a few extra save to be sure to lose a minimum of level and sutff.

Its a band patch but so far it work if i install a mod that make the game reset everything i just remove it and lose 2-3 save point because of the bleed save bug

• 2 months later...

I've been experiencing this for a while now from reinstalling my game to completely reinstalling all my mods. I've tried with both vortex 3 times before moving on to mo2 and besides it fixing its self a few times it had no change what so ever in the long run with vortex it would would just be a matter of time. I even took off the mods on my list that were most resent to all in with dealing with this issue.

I have about 350 mods and the most reasonable thing I think it can be, is that one were vortex has no limit it can still run into this bug, may not be right away but it can still happen were all your mods will reset upon loading of any resent or new save. with mo2 this just didn't work the bug happened right away did not fix my issue what so ever, and just so you know there is no bayous I actually prefer mo2 more, but it having a cap of something like 250 or something this might explain why a bit more on why it was instant to get this bug rather then it not happening later

So I believe its as simple as bringing down the amount of mods your using or alternatively you can also merge your mods in your load order to make it so less space is used, (only be careful this I believe can cause issues if your not careful really that may just be me, not sure not claiming to be an expert about modding).

this from all I tested and seen on other forms so far I believe is my best bet to see if it fixes the issue.

will try this myself to see if this works Ill update what I find out here, please take what I've said with a grain of salt I will not claim that I'm an expert with modding.

that said even if this doesn't work I really dout it has anything to do with windows updates or graphics card updates, or really just anything thats not the game or what ever your using to mod your game.

Edit/Update: so in short this fixed the problem. I had to fall back to an old save where the mods worked but now I can save and load game with no resets.
under a better look my plug=in count was at 265, I merged some plugins with zedit with mo2 really just a few plugins to be at roughly 210 under the cap of 255, this can also be done with vortex using zedit would qoute me though, but I think you want to limit plugins with vortex as well even though there is no limit this still looks to be the issue. note: any plugins that are being used in game after being merged will reset them to nothing but for the most part just choose those mods that you know you can regain with ease. not sure if this will fix the issue for everyone but this is what I did, "and it just works".

sources I used:

tutorial I found for zedit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GdoKbDfleg (something for mo2 I noticed gets left out, the commits help, but other wise very helpful)

Zedit:
https://github.com/z-edit/zedit/releases

Edited by renshade

• 3 months later...

Having a similar type of issue in my game. Every time I load into a game, or die and respawn. I have to select all my mod preferences from the in-game pop up menu. I'm also having the issue where if I am not using vanilla hair or clothing they disappear. And I am also using Vortex with something close to 265 esp mods (over the 255 limit anyway). AS WELL as I verified my game on steam and was missing 3 files.

I am planning to uninstall and delete Vortex and all of my mods, perhaps even Fallout 4 on Steam, then either:

1) Reinstall Vortex and merge my mods down to a lower number.

2) Same as 1, but just use less mods.

or 3) Use a different modding tool and lower my mods to less than 255.

I will update this post with my results, so if anyone else has the same issue they will be able to learn from my experience.

Thanks to all of you who posted. I've been searching everywhere for a solution to my problem, and this seems to be the closest to the same thing.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting!

I've started having a similar issue over this xmas. First time I was in FH and it threw me to the root cellar in sanctuary, the second time (different save) I'm on the pryd and whilst it keeps me there it does the same thing.

Gonna uninstall all my CC stuff as tbh none of it gets used anyway. See if that works.

I'm under the 255 hard limit too. So yeah... :/

• 1 month later...

i had the same problem about the corrupt saves but i somehow fixed it but now of course its another problem, its in the boston area where you try to find valentine in train tunnels. its like instant ctd in and out around the swan area. But for the save corrupt, mine was corrupting because Vortex was actually disabling my mods and basically reactivating them. i was sorta over the mod limit but now im at 234 active mods and 45 lights. also make sure you make the files light if it could be light. Because that was also why my esm slots were getting taken up. But any help? do i have to do the classic activate and disable? i kinda dont want to because i already did that to fix the corrupt saves. also prior to the corrupt saves ny fallout 4 wouldnt even start up it would straight crash. but i fixed it, it was the better locational mod and there was a weaponsmith plug in that was also crashing my game. i deleted that and now my game works fine now just not in the boston area. im finding to notice im getting one problem after the other and i fixed the majority on my own and looking at similar topics to fix my problems. i use loot to sort the load order and cleaned the required mods that need to be cleaned. got the correct mods and patches and plug ins to make my game run smooth. im so in love with this game and i legit try my best and when theres a problem i cant help to pick at it to make it work. ive done so much good so far aiming to get the perfect playthrough, my game runs good having heavy mods on and it crashes rarely when i aim at an enemy and just the ctd around the boston area.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a year long break from this game because of this problem, I just reinstalled it and downloaded a heck ton of mods (im talking about 300 mods). Lo and behold got the same problem. I'm not very adept at modding terminology or any of sorts so I'm probably going to butcher this. After some troubleshooting I think I found the cause of this issue. The saves seem to have some kind of memory limit, the game tries to remember everything but having too many heavy mods may cause a leak or something like that. I disabled some of my more heavy mods, got back to less than 255 plugins active and that seemed to have solved the issue.

Note: This is just a wild guess, so no guarantees.

Edit: I believe it has more to do with the amount of memory the game is trying to load in a save rather than just the amount of plugins active. So heavy sized mods should be used moderately.

Edited by xXCeinXx

• 1 month later...

your probably not having this issue anymore, so if your not this can be for anyone else that has this problem. I solved it by going to, This PC>Documents>My Games> in file explorer and then I just deleted the fallout 4 folder in the My Games folder. I know that your saves will be deleted but this is the only fix that worked for me.

Edited by vipertriks