[IDEA] Community quest mod.

cjmckee

If this is in the wrong section, please move it.

Mods in general (in my experience, anyways) are either handled by an individual, or a small group. This is all well and good, but, what if, just for nothing but fun, someone started a mod. A quest mod, and after a week of working on it, passed it onto another individual for continuation. No idea son future story progression, just hand it in and say: "Here, do What you want."

Personally, I'm not sure how well this would work in practice, but in concept it would allow just about everyone to keep themselves from getting rusty, to challenge yourself to progress an unfinished story line, and so on. If there are people who want to do this, There likely should be a few rules to follow. (Please note, this is not a recruitment thread. Just an idea, nothing more.)

These, i think, would be suitable rules to follow.

=====

1 - You cant edit the last weeks work. It must be left unchanged UNLESS you are fixing a broken piece of code, dialogue, or finishing something that was left unfinished.

2 - The same person can't have the same mod more than once. After you're week is over, you can simply watch and comment. This is to ensure people don't try and hoard the mod, or mold it too much in a specific direction.

3 - You have to follow the narrative that was started. You can't completely change the story line with a bizarre (and silly) plot twist. Just keep following the same narrative.

4 - If need be, people who worked on the mod previously and did voice acting may participate by providing their voice.

5 - People working on the mod can refer to a previous individual for advice on how to handle a character or event.

=====

So, what do you all think? How fun do you all think this would be? How much could it help or hurt the different elder scrolls modding communities?

This could be quite interesting... Almost like that thing where you get three people to draw the head, body and legs of a person and it ends up looking really weird :thumbsup:

Sounds like fun!

It's an interesting concept, but there would be a few logistical issues that would need to be worked out first. For example:

1) Every contributor would need to keep very detailed notes of what they've done, otherwise the next modder to take over would have to spend the better part of their turn deconstructing the mod to figure out how it works. This would be even more of an issue if the two modders in question had different skill sets and/or levels of experience using the CK.

2) Someone would have to keep backups of the file at each stage of development, or else a single inexperienced modder could damage the entire project. If these flaws go unnoticed for several weeks, it could invalidate much of the subsequent work, and the project could devolve into infighting and team members playing the blame game.

3) Someone would need to be responsible for proofreading and editing dialogue. It would be a pain to have the "tone" of the mod changing after every few quests.

4) Rules would need to be worked out regarding faithfulness to established TES lore. Some modders may have ideas that are completely foreign to the series (for example, drawing on anime references or futuristic technology), while other users would want to stay within the scope of the series.

These are just a few examples. If you really want to pursue this, I think it would be a good idea to set up your own forum and wiki for the project, to centralize and organize your resources.

However, if it were well-organized, a project like this could be very interesting to watch evolve.

Edited by JanusForbeare

Not to mention that all participants would need to work within the same confines. If it were to include DLC content then all authors would need to have said DLC. It might be better to make such a project limited to non-DLC that way there are more willing participants.

Aside from that I'm agreeing with everything JanusForbeare has to say.

It's an interesting concept, but there would be a few logistical issues that would need to be worked out first. For example:

1) Every contributor would need to keep very detailed notes of what they've done, otherwise the next modder to take over would have to spend the better part of their turn deconstructing the mod to figure out how it works. This would be even more of an issue if the two modders in question had different skill sets and/or levels of experience using the CK.

2) Someone would have to keep backups of the file at each stage of development, or else a single inexperienced modder could damage the entire project. If these flaws go unnoticed for several weeks, it could invalidate much of the subsequent work, and the project could devolve into infighting and team members playing the blame game.

3) Someone would need to be responsible for proofreading and editing dialogue. It would be a pain to have the "tone" of the mod changing after every few quests.

4) Rules would need to be worked out regarding faithfulness to established TES lore. Some modders may have ideas that are completely foreign to the series (for example, drawing on anime references or futuristic technology), while other users would want to stay within the scope of the series.

These are just a few examples. If you really want to pursue this, I think it would be a good idea to set up your own forum and wiki for the project, to centralize and organize your resources.

However, if it were well-organized, a project like this could be very interesting to watch evolve.

#1: I see what you mean. I had thought of that, myself. :\

#2. Yeah, i had that in mind too. I'm not the best at memory stuff, so i forgot to jot that part down.

#3, Again, i see what you mean. That's why the creators of characters can be spoken to about how a certain character would react or behave to certain things.

#4, The tone, set up, and overall plot of the initial week would have to be followed. if it started out unfriendly to TES lore, it would likely stay that way all through the development of the mod.

All in all, i really do see what your saying. It would not be an easy thing to do. But it would be really interesting to see, I think.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool concept, and I hope you and others run with it. All I meant to do was point out some of the issues which would need to be tackled before getting too heavily involved with the project.

Playing devil's advocate is a bad habit of mine. Don't let me discourage you.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool concept, and I hope you and others run with it. All I meant to do was point out some of the issues which would need to be tackled before getting too heavily involved with the project.

Playing devil's advocate is a bad habit of mine. Don't let me discourage you.

Don't worry, your not. I have a hard time getting in to something as it is. but when i realize it can work ,and i get invested, I GET INVESTED. I brought an entire project back from the grave one time. So no worries, you aren't discouraging me. you pointed out legit things, and i appreciate that.