1.8 bugs & changes

slainia

Currently playing through Dawnguard on the Vampire side with few issues, though Serana's AI seems buggier than usual (she's getting stuck more often). Most of my current issues / CDT's seem to be Hearthfire & 1.8 new content (script changes / additions for Dragonborn) related - if the logs are anything to go by. Mod list has been cut down to the minimum with only a few script based mods including the Unofficial Patches.

Also, in my experience the console command not responding problem existed long before 1.8.

edited for semi-clarity...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flummox. Thanks for that info, this is the first I've had issues with it. Googled a few terms for it, but nothing l searched resulted in anything helpful that i could find. I'm not that great w/ search terms, tho.

As for the ai issue, I agree to the extent that the followers i've been using - janessa - are significantly more buggy than they were before. So far it seems like Amazing Follower Tweaks helps, or at least provides workarounds for some of the issues. Haven't explored Dawnguard yet, so can't comment on Serana. Curious about her tho. hehe.

Also, is it working as intended for a follower to refuse to engage a wizard if they have no ranged ammo?

Ie Janessa prefers ranged/dual daggers, but she kept hiding in a prison cell yesterday rather than engage the npc. Was kind of funny in a way, but very aggravating, b/c she'd kept doing her aggro statements - i'll burn you etc - but walking into a wall. /:

I got a strange bug where both my PC and current follower had a blue glow around their eyes that would not go away. I ended up having to restart my game a few levels back to get it to go away. I have also had issues with followers disappearing and not following. I am going to try re-validating my game files and playing with my mod order.

it's possible thats an ai bug tbh. At least, it's something i'm running into a lot right now. My main follower for this playthrough simply won't move. Have decided to try restarting the game, see if bad mod-removal + the update conflicted to screw things around.

Got a few small things I'm going to note on the main page. (well, maybe not small. We'll see. Lol.)

I got a strange bug where both my PC and current follower had a blue glow around their eyes that would not go away. I ended up having to restart my game a few levels back to get it to go away. I have also had issues with followers disappearing and not following. I am going to try re-validating my game files and playing with my mod order.

That's a known issue, you are getting the Draugr effect applied and it did happen before 1.8 as well.

Open console

player.addspell 000f71d1

close console

open console

player.removespell 000f71d1

close console

And it should be gone.

@thomriis

You do need to check again. Yes there is the esp file, but there is also a bsa file associated with it. There has to be a bsa otherwise they risk overwriting other mod's loose files if the mods are installed in the wrong order.

Yes youre right need new glasses oops. :turned:

Flummox. Thanks for that info, this is the first I've had issues with it. Googled a few terms for it, but nothing l searched resulted in anything helpful that i could find. I'm not that great w/ search terms, tho.

No problem. I don't think it's that common. When it first happened months ago I searched and didn't find much either. Restarting does seem to fix it.

Reading more and more complaints about follower AI and old bugs resurrected. Makes me long for backwards flying dragons. At least that was entertaining - and quickly fixed :)

i've started a new game - not necessarily with a fully clean character, but without most of the script heavy mods. I want to see what happens when nothing's uninstalled etc to get an idea how much of my problems lately has been carelessness (for lack of a better word) with mods.

For what it is worth, this has been my experience...

crash key

quick crash = 1 hour or less

average crash = between 1 and 2 hours

old 1.7 save + 1.8 + same mods as 1.7 + reboot = average crash

new game + 1.8 + same mods as 1.7 + reboot = quick crash

new game + 1.8 + USKP + "cleaned" (if needed) same mods as 1.7 + reboot = 2 hours of pure run amok havok with no issues -- had to quit the game tho

new game + 1.8 + USKP + "cleaned" (if needed) same mods as 1.7 + having used computer without reboot all day = quick crash

new game + 1.8 + USKP + "cleaned" (if needed) same mods as 1.7 + reboot = over 3 hours (198 minutes as reported by steam overlay) of stable play before approaching a cell line where there was grass in one cell and the crappy distant LOD ground in the adjacent cell.

I think what this means is that pre 1.8 games with pre 1.8 mods have a better chance at surviving on 1.8 than starting a new game with pre 1.8 mods mainly because of the change in update.esm. The older save probably has some of that changed data stored in the old form so that older mods can work.

However the unofficial patches and the "automatic cleaning" of pre 1.8 mods seem to have a positive effect on the length of time that the game can be played, probably because in the cleaning processes records changed in the update.esm aren't accidentally being reverted by any one mod