What is the fastest download rate for premium?

IcewaterKat

I understand that you can't tell me right off how fast I will have sustained download speeds directly to my computer.

However...

Is there a way to get an approximate for doing a speed check from Nexusmods servers or a local ISPs, or something, that will give a rough idea?

If not, is there a way for you guys to make one?

What is the optimal fastest download rate from Nexusmods servers?

How about max download rates to various large cities throughout the world?

Besides making the ads (including in-house) go away and a few small added features on the site, I'd like to make sure I'm getting my monies worth by going premium.

I also want to give my thanks for what I've gotten for free over the years as well as the mod makers plus the enjoyable community, and strongly consider getting premium (despite my current opinion about the recent marketing strategies).

P.S. Any chance of getting a detailed list of all the premium features which I might not be aware of, such as increasing the number of results per page in the mod search results?

This page lists the main benefits:

https://users.nexusmods.com/register/memberships

• You're helping to support the site and mod authors
  • Access to the supporter only image share
  • Uncapped download speeds
  • Multi-threaded downloads
  • More private message storage
  • No adverts on the website

Premium members also do not get the banners informing you of speed caps (since they are uncapped anyway), and aren't redirected when downloading files.

As for speedtests: after consulting with the devs, I can say that we don't have a speed test or test files in place at the moment as that would likely take up a non-negligible amount of bandwidth that we feel is better used serving actual mod files to users.

We do have a "no questions asked" refund policy though - as long as you do not exceed the reasonable limits. So, worst case, you could just try it out.

Misc Perks

The number of items shown per page is locked to 20 for non-premium users, but for premium users it is customisable and can be set as high as 80.

The number of comments shown per page is locked to 10 for non-premium, and customisable up to 50 for premium.

Premium will also allow you to pick your preferred download location, in case the CDN isn't ideal for you. The alternatives are Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Singapore. The servers being all over the world ensures decent speeds (depending on your local setup, internet speed, and internet service provider) for the vast majority of users.

I hope that clears things up for you. Thanks for considering supporting the site with a premium membership :thumbsup:

Experientially speaking, (As a premium member), I believe I get rates up to around 1.2M/s or so. TBH, It's snappy enough I don't pay much attention except when a mod is exceptionally large.

for instance, I just downloaded a 2.2M file (some random follower mod) and didn't even have time to check the download speed before it was done.

Now of course, everything is mitigated by your ISP package (ie the max download speed on your internet connection). I have a 27M Down/6M Up (measured) connection. So, depending on what you have at home, ymmv.

best wishes.

Experientially speaking, (As a premium member), I believe I get rates up to around 1.2M/s or so. TBH, It's snappy enough I don't pay much attention except when a mod is exceptionally large.

for instance, I just downloaded a 2.2M file (some random follower mod) and didn't even have time to check the download speed before it was done.

Now of course, everything is mitigated by your ISP package (ie the max download speed on your internet connection). I have a 27M Down/6M Up (measured) connection. So, depending on what you have at home, ymmv.

best wishes.

Wait a sec. I'm confused. For free/supporter (non ad block) speeds it's said to be "Downloads for non-premium members are capped at 2MB/s" according to the Nexusmods. I top out and steadily hold 2MB/s speeds on large files as a supporter, although I can have the ability to download at a higher sustained rate.

Are you saying you get speeds below (or about at) that as a premium member? I'm guessing the premium servers are not friendly to you in your location.

I guess I will do the "You're helping to support the site and mod authors" and hope that I will be impressed with the unknown speeds I get. I'd hate to have to deal with the "no questions asked" refund policy' hassle

I see you went ahead with the purchase. I hope you'll continue to enjoy your membership here.

There are a lot of variables involved in data transmission, thus download speeds can fluctuate. Here's a few:

-- Traffic volume on the Nexus CDN fluctuates, therefore their speed in serving any particular request can fluctuate.

-- Traffic on your ISP can fluctuate.

-- Each time you connect, you may be routed differently and have different ping responses depending on current traffic and the bandwidth of each leg of the journey.

Personally, I've never waited more than a few seconds for a mod to download, though most of the mods I retrieve are relatively small.

I was curious as to what the max speeds were and just how awesomely fast they were. Which is why I was mainly asking for optimum speeds.

I'm downloading at my ISPs rated max speeds from nexus steadily, which I'm happy about. Still, I can upgrade my internet speeds, but I don't have any need to. It still makes me wonder just how fast is the fastest that its spit out from the servers.

Yup, I bought premium. I made one mistake though. I went through PayPal to use another payment source not directly listed by nexus, and was charged a lot more than the current exchange rate at the time compared to the fee with major credit cards. There was no tax in that. PayPal ain't joking when they say that they intend to make money with currency exchanges.

Really good to know, about paypal. Kudos given for passing that along.

It's a hard question to answer tho, as to what the exact optimum output of a server is. There are literally so many factors that go into account. What a manufacturer may advertise as their output speed, can greatly be affected by other conditions.

Conditions that exist in-house within the DMZ, the provider of the external service that allows the server to reach the internet outside the DMZ. Firewalls. Internal use of server resources.

I remember testing a server response from different terminals, inside the school's network that I was working for a few years ago, and those rarely ever matched up.

IIRC, when I was last using a 60 MB/s line, using NMM as the download manager I was able to consistently pull around 27 MB/s. Pretty sure the download speed could be higher if the line wasn't split, but that is what I recalled when I was doing a FO4 mod downloading spree. To illustrate that in clearer terms, with a 30 MB/s line, a 10 GB file can be downloaded within 6 minutes time. As others mentioned though, you're all at the whims of your ISP in the long run so your miles may vary.