First playthrough: what mods should I get?

franky12321

Im about to start my first playthrough ever of Skyrim (with dawnguard).

What mods should I install? I want an improved experience over vanilla, but not something dramatically different.

I was thinking SkyRe, a few graphics mods, and some other mods like Mage dueling, UFO and deadly dragons (not sure about these ones)

Thank you!

Go vanilla on the first run (but with the unofficial patches), and maybe throw in an ENB if your graphics card can hack the extra load - but I wouldn't. SkyRe is great, but it does alter a lot of the core mechanics. Then on your second playthrough install things like deadly dragons, SkyRe, Morrowloot, Skyrim Scaling Stopper, and a ton of improved look mods. This way you can enjoy the same game twice with an entirely new perspective, game mechanics, and look.

Just my 2c.

Go vanilla on the first run (but with the unofficial patches), and maybe throw in an ENB if your graphics card can hack the extra load - but I wouldn't. SkyRe is great, but it does alter a lot of the core mechanics. Then on your second playthrough install things like deadly dragons, SkyRe, Morrowloot, Skyrim Scaling Stopper, and a ton of improved look mods. This way you can enjoy the same game twice with an entirely new perspective, game mechanics, and look.

Just my 2c.

And what about SkyUI, would you use this mod in a first playthrough?

That's a definite YES, but only because the vanilla inventory system is infuriating when you are schlepping lots of stuff around :biggrin:

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is there is only one "first time" you play skyrim. And it IS already pretty awesome straight out of the box. If you start with a fully modded game, the vanilla may seem emptier/bleaker. Whereas when you start with the vanilla, things can only get better on the consecutive runs. I hope that makes some sense.

Edited by acidzebra

I agree, it is recommended to go vanilla first. After experiencing the vanilla, you will have a better idea about what kind of mods you need to enhance your skyrim experience.

I think unofficial patches and fixes is good for the first time. As for the user interface, maybe try the vanilla UI for a few hours then try the SkyUI if you think the vanilla UI doesn't suits you.

If you think the vanilla graphic is not satisfying, you can install a few mods that increase the graphic. But I think you should only choose graphic mods that doesn't come with an .esp (only textures).

I agree, it is recommended to go vanilla first. After experiencing the vanilla, you will have a better idea about what kind of mods you need to enhance your skyrim experience.

I think unofficial patches and fixes is good for the first time. As for the user interface, maybe try the vanilla UI for a few hours then try the SkyUI if you think the vanilla UI doesn't suits you.

If you think the vanilla graphic is not satisfying, you can install a few mods that increase the graphic. But I think you should only choose graphic mods that doesn't come with an .esp (only textures).

Why should I use only mods without .esp (what is an .esp file for that matter...?) ? And, using NMM, how do i know if a mod has an .esp?

Why should I use only mods without .esp (what is an .esp file for that matter...?) ? And, using NMM, how do i know if a mod has an .esp?

.esp file is Elder Scrolls Plugin. I don't know how to explain it, but most mods that change texture doesn't require .esp because it only change texture. Most mods that change other than textures (like game mechanics, adding new items, etc) will always have .esp file.

As for why you should not use mods with .esp it's because you just played skyrim for the first time. It is recommended to feel the vanilla experience before adding mods.

Well, to put it simply. Play the vanilla skyrim (along with unofficial patches and several texture enhancing mods if you want) until you finish it (or at least until you understand and experienced vanilla skyrim). Then you can add mods that you think is necessary to enhance your gameplay.

Edited by vroix

Personally the first thing I did was get the high resolution texture pack that was listed as DLC on the Steam page for Skyrim...then I came here looking for hair because I like cute hair. I'm using the SkyUI in my first playthrough but I installed it only recently...it does require the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) so if you choose to use it you'll need the latest version of SKSE installed first. I installed SKSE initially because I did install UFO and Convient Horses about halfway into my game because I felt sorry for Lydia running behind my horse...plus I'd have to stop now and then and let her catch up so I wasn't really going places faster on my horse. Currently I'm at around 400 hours into my game but I also drug my feet on the main quest quite a bit doing side quests. My son blew through Skyrim's main quest in around 20 hours and stopped playing but he missed so much of whats available. Edited by Jennifur68