Geck Associating ESPs

b0bulat0r

Hi There, I really need help and I'm hoping someone can help me please

I'm aware that if you load an ESM in the Geck or CK that it associates your mod with that master file and I understand the reasons why, because your ESP could have resources from that ESM inside it,

recently my GECK has started associating my plugin with any other ESP I've had open at the time, (such as if I know I have another mod that edits an area I load them both to see the changes made by both so I don't cause conflicts etc)

Whenever I work in an active file I always make new form ID's so I shouldn't be using any resources from another mod,

I've never seen it do this before but now my GECK is associating every plugin I save with every other plugin I've ever had open at the same time,

1) how do I get it to stop doing this?

2) the plugins it has already done this to, is it easy (and safe) to dissociate these? would I use FNVedit to do it similar to how I've done so with FO4edit for Fallout 4 before?

Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance.

regards

For additional information I've looked in FNVedit and there are no references in my plugin to the other plugins it has added as a master, I've never seen it add ESP's as masters before but it is doing now and I can't seem to remove them in fnvedit as I get no option, (everything I've googled says you can right click the file header list and remove master file, but I get no option to do this!!)

really stuck and would love some help.

thanks

Edited by b0bulat0r

Additional information

I just made a new esp in the geck called test and saved it, created a new cell from scratch and saved it again

i reloaded it, loading in a couple of other esps as well,

loaded my cell,

dragged an item into it from the left pane,

saved the esp

now the test esp is associated with the other ESPs I had open that are now "Masters" to it, despite this having used NOTHING from these mods,

A clean of the new "test" esp with fnvedit doesn't clean the masters.

I'm so confused I really need help.

It's pretty simple. Don't save your ESP with any unnecessary files of any extension open at that moment. The GECK is simplistic in many ways, and assumes if there is an open file then you have decided it must be needed as a master. See the "Issue - GECK automatically loads unwanted DLC Masters" entry under the 'GECK: Common Problems' section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

Note that if you have any files with a "*.nam" extension, those will automatically get loaded by the GECK.

As for FNVEdit, you probably tried to "clean" the mod of "dirty edits" instead of using the "5.3.6 Using Clean Masters to purge un-used Master File References" procedure as documented in the "Tome of xEdit". They are different processes.

-Dubious-

About a year ago I edited FNV mods with multiple plugins open and never had this issue before, it's become a recent thing,

I've always done it for Skyrim or Fallout 4 as well,

say in the CK I open 2 plugins, I copy one cell from one plugin to another, but forget to rename the unique ID's in that cell, and I save it, close the CK and re-open it, I'd expect the plugin to open (without auto opening the other plugin) and for those ID's to be removed as they weren't found, so the cell would just look a little empty.

that is the behaviour I'm expecting, but it hasn't happened,

worse still I don't have ANY references to the other plugin at all that I can see either in GECK or in FNV edit, it just won't remove,

the geck can associate every master file it wants under the sun to the plugin, i don't care if it loads all the dlc masters etc, what I don't want is it having ESP's as masters, as those esp's might not always be there in the load order.

it's been driving me crazy for hours.

I wish I could just force remove the master with right click remove like you used to be able to, Why can't I do this anymore?

https://i.imgur.com/vI1LNdR.png

I've tried the "clean masters" trick and this doesn't remove it, yet when you expand all the contents there are no references inside the mod to the other esp its linking to, nothing I can right click and remove etc in order for it to then register as clean,

god i wish there was a reference to remove then it would be bloody simple as I'd just remove any "edits" it thinks it's made with the other plugin and then clean it, but there is literally nothing there.

Edited by b0bulat0r

I should also note I recently followed a guide to upgrade the GECK to 4gb mode and support NVSE mode, it has been since this patch update that it has associated any esp together, so It might be behaviour by this update as it never used to do it previously.

Skyrim and FO3 are "Creation Engine" games, while FNV is still "Gamebryo". Apple and Oranges. The CK's tend to be evolutionary within an engine, but not necessarily between them and certainly haven't been retrofitted.

So what changed recently? There hasn't been any change to the FNV GECK itself for years. Are you using either of the community developed NVSE addons "GECK 1.4 Powerup" or "GECK Extender"? The latter has been updated over the last year, so it's possible you need to either update or regress. Both plugins should not be used together.

Just to be clear: Your statement about "association" implies a fallacy. Merely having an ESM extension does not make a file into a "master", and an ESP not one. "Master" is a "dependency" relationship issue: it's records are needed by some other plugin. To the best of my (limited) knowledge, the GECK does not check this relationship when it saves files. That is why xEdit had to add the ability.

-Dubious-

I'm using GECK extender which seems to have been when the problem started.

I never had this association issue prior to this,

unfortunately the reason I started using this was because my geck would crash whenever I tried to open an exterior cell, and I assume this was because of the memory limitation on the base geck, running GECK extender not only enabled me to edit exterior cells but also improved my GECK load and in application speeds massively.

I could try removing this to stop the issue from happening with more plugins, but it won't fix the problem I have with my current mods,

I'm not sure the GECK was built with that functionality in mind (opening several instances of the GECK at the same time), but merely capable of it by chance, and the extender could very likely be introducing this bug.

I recommend removing the extender just to find it if it's the culprit or not. You can put it back right after if you really need it. And if it is the culprit, you can report the bug on their page, I'm sure they'd keep it in mind for a next update.

I think you can still use CFF Explorer in windows 10 to make the Geck.exe large address aware.

As described in this Gopher video for making the game.exe that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tONiXNbwSt0

At 4:45

Also instead of loading multiple .esp files in one instance of the geck , how about running multiple instances of the geck ?... described here under Geck INI Settings.

https://geckwiki.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_GECK_Setup