Did the Steam update delete my Mods?

SomeKindaWizard

I applied a couple of mods a while ago before the latest update, I tested to see that the worked, and today when I played it appeard none of them were working.

Did the update overwrite them, or has something else gone wrong?

Its no biggy either way, I only play on Ironman mode and always start a new game if I end up losing too many countries or most of my favourite guys die, it would just be helpful to know.

Cheers

No, they did something else now for the callhome procedure so it nolonger gets blocked thru the hosts file, probably have to play in offline mode now. When I have the gfx mod installed my game wont even start, gets into this redundant cycle of first installation, its a load of bulls*** if you ask me, repeatedly doing everything they can to block modders....its pathetic really, and make me not be able to wait on xenonauts that much more.

Mods right now modify the .exe file of the game. It's inevitable that a patch which changes the exe will also remove the mods. Until the modders come out with an up-to-date version of whatever mod you are using you'll just have to wait. It's not Firaxis hating mods, it's a legitimate side-effect of patches for a game that doesn't support modding out of the box a la Elder Scrolls games.

I don't have the game but I can say that changing official files is ... bad... not ideal but better approach is using some kind of injector and making mods as plugin for it. Will not solve the problem of still needing to wait for the injector update but is a lot more secure.

Sometimes the injector may have a kind of backward compatibility and if so eliminates the need of updating every mod, otherwise,,, o dear, c'est la vie.

Edited by nosisab

Totaly agree on this, the way we do it atm is there because we wanted to have a quick way to start modding again

It wouldnt even need much time to build a injector for the ini stuff, heck we could even let the callhome thing do it for us, but most of the people are trying to get informations about their bytecode interpetation

So the injector would need to hook the vm calls also and patching the bytecode as it is read or loaded

For the moment it would be a big chunk of work for little benefits

But if anyone is intressed in doing this, drop me a line for the informations i have gathered so far

Ps. Injector would be backwords compatbile to some degree for sure, dont think they change much on the vm code himself so a pattern search should yield good results