ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

How are ingredient effect levels based on your alchemy rank coded?

I am currently working on an alchemy sorter and I would like to be able to deposit/retrieve ingredients based on effect. However, I don't want the player to be able to sort based on effects they don't know about. Looking at various ingredients in CS it seems like its based on the effects magnitude (15, 30, 45, 60 or 0) but seems rather random. I wouldn't want to hardcode a magnitude to a rank that might not be right. There doesn't seem to be a specific function for this so does anyone have any suggestion on how to determine this?

Ok so I kinda figured it out. Still not sure how Oblivion does things but in terms of modders I seem to understand it now.

Some magic effects are either on or off, they don't have a magnitude. Night eye for instance

The effects on ingredients are ranked in how they are discovered by magnitude (15, 30, 45, 60). However, if the effect has no possible magnitude then that value corresponding to rank is instead shifted to effect duration.

Duration on effects that have magnitude seems random between 0 and 1 so don't rely on that

Examples:
Apple- Restore Fatigue (mag 15), damage luck (mag 30), fortify willpower (mag 45), damage health (mag 60)

Carrot- restore fatigue (mag 15), night eye (duration 30, mag 0), fortify intelligence (mag 45), damage endurance (mag 60)

I hope that someone finds this useful

Glad you got it figured out.

All I had to offer was what the UESP Wiki has to say about ingredients and their effects (Oblivion:Alchemy Effects and Oblivion:Ingredients) neither which seemed to offer a lot towards the problem you were describing.