Small things that really bother me

Psykodelic1323

Just kinda wanted to post this and see if I'm not the only one...

Things that really irritate me in Skyrim:

Loading Screens: This is def my top irritant in the game and there isn't much we can do about it.

Did you notice that the first 2 people you see die in Skyrim have their hands initially bound, but after they die, their hands are free? Little bug that eats at me...

A Lovely Letter quest: You have 2 initial choices, ruin Camilla's relationship with the elf or the Nord. Later you can also marry Camilla taking away either option. So what's wrong with this quest? I don't think either deserve Camilla, but you don't get to make that choice!

House of Horrors: You can initially tell the Daedra you will not help him, but then are forced to do so in order to finish the quest. (This also applies for most Daedra quests)

A Chance Arrangement: So I'm a good Dovah; I don't steal, I rarely pick locks, and I never pick pockets, and yet as I enter Riften, I am bombarded by thieves. "Never done and honest day's work for all that gold your carrying lass." Excuse me? I earned this gold, all 5,000 of it! Why must we be forced into joining or ignoring the Thieve's Guild? We have the option to destroy the Brotherhood, so why not the guild?

Lack of voice actors: I love hearing Kovu (Jason Marsden fyi) in every town I visit. I love Perth's voice however, does he play any others?

Lack of marriage candidates: Console users are pretty much outta luck, and same things to pc players without mods. (How many PC users don't use mods anyway?) THANK YOU MODS!!!!!!

So, these are just a few. Bethesda made an absolutely great game...but I think they got lazy on certain areas...again, THANK YOU MODS!!!! (And Modders)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worst experiences have been dialogue related. Such things as being called Brynjolf's new protege all the time when u are the head of the thieves guild, new guy at the college when u are arch mage, and similar.

Then there is the fact that in order to adopt a child from the orphanage in Hearthfire, u must have killed Grelod beforehand. Like when do they let murderers adopt children?

There are a lot of inconsistencies of various types in the game. And there are not enough dialogue choices for the characters either. How many times do u hear the "lollygagging", "sweetroll", "hail sithis", etc etc repeated ad nauseum.

Still, all of this is relative minor and really doesn't detract from the game too badly. It really just amuses me more than it irritates.

A Chance Arrangement: So I'm a good Dovah; I don't steal, I rarely pick locks, and I never pick pockets, and yet as I enter Riften, I am bombarded by thieves. "Never done and honest day's work for all that gold your carrying lass." Excuse me? I earned this gold, all 5,000 of it! Why must we be forced into joining or ignoring the Thieve's Guild? We have the option to destroy the Brotherhood, so why not the guild?

Especially since talking to Mjoll gives the impression that it would be a quest :(

The Companions : somewhat annoying that you have to join 'The Circle' early on to continue accessing their quests.

The whispering Door : would have liked the option to take you-know-what to Balgruff and tell him "This is the source of your problem, pal - any suggestions ?"

Innocence Lost : why not an option to threaten Grelod ? She leaves and Constance takes over. DB is annoyed at losing the contract, so the quest to wipe them out could still continue.

I forgot about Grelod. It's kinda like the game pushed you towards being an "evil" character. :/ I think she kinda deserved it anyway, but yeah there could have been an option to threaten her.

Yeah, how many times (in game) have we heard the "arrow to the knee" story? I guess Bethesda needed to draw the line some where.

Game Designer 1 "It's done!"

Game Designer 2 "Uh, why are there only 10 voice actors and all the guards have the same lines?"

Game Designer 1 "It doesn't matter really. Gamers won't notice anyway. They will all be distracted by the amazing graphics."

lol.

There are a lot of inconsistencies of various types in the game. And there are not enough dialogue choices for the characters either. How many times do u hear the "lollygagging", "sweetroll", "hail sithis", etc etc repeated ad nauseum.

I just looked up the word "lollygagging" on a lark. Turns out its a word from 1860s America (an anachronism, and hardly the only one... but oh well, it's fantasy) that means:

1. to spend time idly; loaf. (that's what I thought)

2. to indulge in kisses and caresses; make love; neck. (lol)

Considering how often the guards tell us, "No lollygagging!", you'd think the devs would have made waiting in public a crime (it was in Daggerfall). Or, at least let us kiss people.

Did you notice that the first 2 people you see die in Skyrim have their hands initially bound, but after they die, their hands are free? Little bug that eats at me...

That too annoys me.

What is worse is after the initial dragon attack and you are in the tower with Ulfric and all those freed stormcloaks, not a single one has their hands bound and yet none of them are willing to lift a finger to cut my hands free.

9 times out of 10 when Lokir is killed he's been shot in the leg. I have often wondered how that is a fatal shot...

Little invincible children with big mouths annoyed the hell out of me. The first mod I got was killable children.

Next most annoying involved a certain quest that had corrupt guards who tried to arrest me for their crimes. Naturally, I killed said guards and looted/defiled their corpses. Turns out the quest could only continue if I let myself go to jail. As this was against my principles, I slew virtually everyone in that god forsaken city and turned their bodies into necromantic ash.

What annoys me most of all is artificial restriction on the open world.

If you try to go into the bee farm before a certain quest, you run into an invisible wall. The sewer entrance is apparently just painted on the rocks and even when I consoled the key onto the merc at the door and opened it "legitimately" I was stopped by apparently the hand of god.

And the meadery in Whiterun. When I actually decided to play a thief character, I decided to break in there before ever going to Riften. What I found was that, for no very good reason, the key to the underground bit and the vat requires a key. The personal chest upstairs also requires a key. It turns out these keys don't exist in anybody's inventory.

The world is open, there's no reason why I can't independently break into places, but the game forces you toward the Thieves Guild. This pissed me off so badly I actually stopped playing for a few months.

9 times out of 10 when Lokir is killed he's been shot in the leg. I have often wondered how that is a fatal shot...

He used to be an adventurer like you...then he ran at Helgen.

Overall I'm pretty happy with Skyrim...I like it way better than I did Oblivion...but after reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling steam I had a piece of the ground mesh move slightly to the right and toward the tree in Whiterun. Its the piece with the steps leading up to Jorrvaskr Hall so now I have a gap in the ground that like 5 feet wide to the left of the steps and about 3 feet wide at the top of the steps that NPCs drop into till they pop out. But even that is more a bug in my game but I did see its apparently somewhat common for the ground mesh in Whiterun to move or vanish.

I was surprised today to find out they actually had around 70 voice actors...I was guessing it was maybe 12 or so. There are some fairly well known actors on this list. I did recognize Micheal Hogan as General Tullius right off when I started playing but Max von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, Lynda Carter and some of the others I didn't catch. I guess we tend to notice the repetative comments from generic NPCs because we hear them so much.

I did recognize Micheal Hogan as General Tullius right off when I started playing

This is honestly my favourite thing about the whole game. Anybody who's a fan of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series has got to get off on seeing Michael Hogan playing another military commander.

Even if I didn't support the Empire for lore reasons, I'd probably still join the legion 9 times out of 10 just to take orders from that frakking skinjob. ;)