REQ: Repair items with Workbench.

NephilimNexus

I noticed the game has a bit of a double-standard when it comes to repairing things. If you are willing to pay the caps to an NPC they will fix your item to a certain preset percentage based on the NPC's Repair skill level. However, anytime you repair something yourself you have to sacrifice an identical copy item to the repair, which is likewise limited to your Repair skill.

So I figured, "You know, for being 1700+ caps, a Workbench should do more for the player." After all, for the same price at the Infirmary you can not only heal yourself for free but also cleans yourself of radiation, too. Thus the Infirmary is a good long term investment. But the Workbench? You make a couple custom weapons and that's it.

Then I got this obvious idea, which bring me to post this mod request: Can someone please produce a mod that allows a player owned Workbench to repair items using the same system that NPCs use? That is to say: Without requiring the player to sacrifice identical copies to the do the repair and instead just use the player's Repair skill as it's limit?

The reason is this: When in the field it is realistic that you would tear apart an old junker item for parts in which to repair another one. But when you're at home, taking your time, and with a full Workbench full of tools in front of you, then you wouldn't have to cannibalize other items to the repair. That's what a Workbench is for, after all, right?

Instead of caps, using the Workbench to repair items for free should only require time & some Repair skill. That would make it finally worth the rather steep 1700+ cap price attached to it.

While I would love to be able to use the Workbench for more than just making custom weapons, I would like to point out that the My First Workbench upgrade only costs about 700 caps. It's much cheaper than the other "My First" upgrades.

I enjoy the KOTOR concept of "components"as a generic build material. you can choose to break down an item into components, create a new one from components, or repair an existing one with components...

the generalisation means that it is no more McGuyver "bottle+tin+bubble wrap=nuke" but that you just imagine the components were of the correct sort.

At first, sorry for my english (i am russian).

This is great idea - use Workbench for repair. But...

NPC Pronyo in Paradise Falls give me greater idea. Any item can by disassemble for Spares (like said JFSOCC). And you can do this using Workbench or if you have new item into inventory - "Super ToolKit" (hello Fallout 2).

This looks like - item with X% condition give X*repair_skill Spares Units (0% item give 1 scrap metal). Player can use Spares for repair similar weapon or armor. But different weapon and armor have different multiplier (M). For example:

With "Spares: Small Guns" can repair Chinese Pistol (x1M), .32 Pistol (x1M), 10mm Pistol (x1.25M), Scoped .44 Magnum (x2M) & etc.

"Spares: Power Armor" - Power Armor (x1M), Brotherhood Power Armor (x1.5M), Enclave Power Armor(x2M), T-51b Power Armor (x4M) & etc.

So if you have Brotherhood Power Armor with 80% condition, you need 20*1.5=30 "Spares: Power Armor" Units for repair it to 100%. But no more then your Repair Skill.

It may be possible disassemble Scrap Metal: 1 for 1 "Spares: Small Guns" & 5 for 1 "Spares: Power Armor" (or so).

But I fear it can't be done without CS.

Archived