Completed mod, but stuff is still havocking inexplicably.

hhhr2r2

(Attached is the .esp for my mod, which redecorates the buyable Bruma house.) Sometimes upon entering the house cell or loading a save from inside it, a few things decide to havoc, which makes stuff float (most noticeably the plates in the kitchen shelf and the wine bottles), the bows dislodge from the bow rack, and the books in the bedroom shelf fall out. Sometimes it happens and sometimes not. I can't explain it, as I've placed these things painstakingly so they won't collide.

Could someone load my mod and tell me where I messed up? - If you want to see it havoc, loading from the main menu triggers it with certain saves. If it doesn't happen, do it again or try it with a different save. If you want to see the stuff the way it was supposed to be, reload from inside the game without exiting to main menu, and everything magically fixes itself.

If the bug got triggered, upon entering the cell you'll hear the clanking and banging if you have the sound on. Another quick way to tell is to look at the bow rack by the door. If the bottom edges of the bows are resting on the wood, everything went fine. If the bottoms are on the floor, that's the bug.

I would love your help in fixing this problem, as it's the last thing left to fix before I'm done. I would also appreciate if you could take a look around and tell me if anything looks odd.

Alpha notes:

*I made this mod because the Bruma house has a lovely charm and a nice layout, but the Beth people must have been drunk when they gave it that butt-ugly decor. I gave it a makeover that makes more sense to me while preserving the rustic middle-class feel. Also added more storage, weapon racks, and a respawning trash barrel by the fireplace.

*This mod works whether or not you bought the upgrades. You should see the exact same stuff either way.

*This mod may conflict with other Bruma house mods, and may conflict even after you disable them, if your save ever had one enabled. The fireplace mod seems to be safe but it's redundant because I enabled the fire.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

Edited by hhhr2r2

Its not a bug per se, its just havok being havok.

Try adjusting the initial position of things in the CS and try again.

Trust me, I tried like crazy. It seems like changing completely unrelated things, like the parents of furniture on the other side of the house, makes the stuff stop acting up in some saves, while triggering other unrelated bugs in other saves. That's why I'm so confused.

Edited by hhhr2r2

You could go with the elegant solution. Rather than have bows hanging from your rack that the user/Havok can remove turn the rack with some bows hanging into a container, that would then contain whatever swag you want the user to get. Examples of this approach can be seen in any of Emma's recent house mods (e.g. Maple Cottage). The container is a static so nothing goes flying and you can decide on what weapons/armor look best display wise without needing to worry about game balance issues. For example you could have a daedric, ebony and elven bow hanging in the static but only have iron and steel bows in the container, preventing a level 1 user from getting items not available until later levels, but at the same time your decor won't be outdated for a level 40 player. After using and modifying a lot of house mods the one feature many have that has little utility for me is those weapon racks (try putting stuff in them in-game and you'll see what I mean ... and once you get what you want in them Havok plays havoc as you've outlined).

You could go with the elegant solution. Rather than have bows hanging from your rack that the user/Havok can remove turn the rack with some bows hanging into a container, that would then contain whatever swag you want the user to get. Examples of this approach can be seen in any of Emma's recent house mods (e.g. Maple Cottage). The container is a static so nothing goes flying and you can decide on what weapons/armor look best display wise without needing to worry about game balance issues. For example you could have a daedric, ebony and elven bow hanging in the static but only have iron and steel bows in the container, preventing a level 1 user from getting items not available until later levels, but at the same time your decor won't be outdated for a level 40 player. After using and modifying a lot of house mods the one feature many have that has little utility for me is those weapon racks (try putting stuff in them in-game and you'll see what I mean ... and once you get what you want in them Havok plays havoc as you've outlined).

Hey, that's not a bad idea, turning a weapon rack into a static container. I didn't figure anyone would be fool enough to remove the weapons from my racks since everyone knows it's easier to swallow a pine cone than to use those things, but I guess someone might knock over a weapon at some point.

However, I opted for the standing bow rack and weapon rack, which are actually possible to get weapons into, and the hanging weapon racks I enlarged a bit so you can actually get a sword into them. Hanging bow racks are literally impossible to use even with the CS, since for some reason they're designed to trigger collision as soon as you try to put anything over the z coordinate of the bottom of the hooks, even if you're going between them and aren't actually touching any part of the visible form. So you can't get anything into the hooks. So I said to hell with that.

But a good-looking container rack with goodies might work. Now I just have to learn how to make one.

Edited by hhhr2r2

Judging from the credits section of the Maple Cottage mod Emma used Stroti's resources for her weapon rack containers.

- Edit - Another pet peeve of mine concerning weapon racks/stuff on tables/all things Havoked + companions ... they don't mix worth beans. You pick up and clean up the messes and they just keep on making them.

Edited by Striker879

I can imagine. I've never tried a companion but I've had annoying followers like everyone else. I wonder if there's a market for a companion-friendly, totally de-Havoked house where nothing can be moved around but nothing can be knocked down either? It would be a pain to make, but I learned how to de-Havok items this morning using NifSkope. (That's how I made my floor vases stay in place, lol.)

Judging from the credits section of the Maple Cottage mod Emma used Stroti's resources for her weapon rack containers.

- Edit - Another pet peeve of mine concerning weapon racks/stuff on tables/all things Havoked + companions ... they don't mix worth beans. You pick up and clean up the messes and they just keep on making them.

You should probably look into Decorator Assistant, lets you do all sorts of nice things.

Like this:

http://fencedude.com/Oblivion/Kelira/KeliraShack4.jpg

You should probably look into Decorator Assistant, lets you do all sorts of nice things.

You know, I tried decorator assistant and it didn't do ANYTHING? Like, it seems it wouldn't load at ALL. And I did read the readme. No idea where I went wrong.

Is that a modded house in your image or is that the Bravil or Leyawiin shack? Haven't been inside those in years so can barely remember what they look like.