Help?! Everything is either black (except the markers, health, compass) or I can't leave the sewer after the end of Tutorial.

Dimitrisgb

I clicked on Oblivion Launcher to deactivate a mod I created and Oblivion Launcher crashed. After that I tried to open it again but Oblivion set my graphics in medium. Then I started the game, loaded the saved and everything was black, except the markers. I could hear sounds, like the music and the talking of the NPCs and move, but other than that I couldnt see anything.

I started a new game, finished the Tutorial, but every time I try to exit the sewers, I get the message "You can't go that way, go back" and I get back to the sewers.

How to fix this?

Try renaming Oblivion.ini found in your My Documents folder (NOT Oblivion_Default.ini found in your Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder) to something like Original_Oblivion.ini and then start your game. Oblivion will build a new Oblivion.ini using Oblivion_Default.ini modified to suit your particular hardware (which is why it doesn't do a good job with things like video settings anymore ... can't recognise hardware that wasn't even invented the last time the game was updated).

Try renaming Oblivion.ini found in your My Documents folder (NOT Oblivion_Default.ini found in your Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder) to something like Original_Oblivion.ini and then start your game. Oblivion will build a new Oblivion.ini using Oblivion_Default.ini modified to suit your particular hardware (which is why it doesn't do a good job with things like video settings anymore ... can't recognise hardware that wasn't even invented the last time the game was updated).

Thanx, but it is still not working. Not only that, but, before you answered I ran the TES4LODGen to see if that was the problem and now I am facing the same (first) problem in my new saved game.

Hmm, the launcher crashing when trying to deactivate a plugin in "Data Files" is something I can imagine. The launcher is a fickle thing on some systems. But you shouldn't even be using the launcher's "Data Files" for enabling and disabling plugins to begin with. It can't even set up a correct load order to boot. Using a proper mod manager would be a godsend for that. Wrye Bash, Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM), Nexus Mod Manager (NMM), Vortex, Mod Organizer/2 (MO/MO2) can all enable and disable plugins and set up the load order as well.

The launcher will always detect your hardware anew on first run, if through whatever accident it lost the old setup. So it suddenly setting your graphics to Medium also doesn't come as a surprise.

Whatever deleted your setup so the hardware detection started again must also have deleted something else, which would explain the display going black. Though I've got no idea what "exactly" that could've been.

But you additionally also running into the "end of world" exterior border while still "in" the tutorial dungeon... This one totally has me stumped.

Hmm, the launcher crashing when trying to deactivate a plugin in "Data Files" is something I can imagine. The launcher is a fickle thing on some systems. But you shouldn't even be using the launcher's "Data Files" for enabling and disabling plugins to begin with. It can't even set up a correct load order to boot. Using a proper mod manager would be a godsend for that. Wrye Bash, Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM), Nexus Mod Manager (NMM), Vortex, Mod Organizer/2 (MO/MO2) can all enable and disable plugins and set up the load order as well.

The launcher will always detect your hardware anew on first run, if through whatever accident it lost the old setup. So it suddenly setting your graphics to Medium also doesn't come as a surprise.

Whatever deleted your setup so the hardware detection started again must also have deleted something else, which would explain the display going black. Though I've got no idea what "exactly" that could've been.

But you additionally also running into the "end of world" exterior border while still "in" the tutorial dungeon... This one totally has me stumped.

Well, I rearranged the graphics options in Oblivion Launcher, so probably that is not a problem anymore.

I noticed that I cant find a certain phrase/option in Oblivion.ini that has to do with the in-game borders. I think that thing changed after I installed Wrye Bash.

Is there something I can do to fix it?

For the records: Many setting lines in the Oblivion.ini won't exist until after the game was run at least once, including starting a new game and closing cleanly again, no force-shutdowns, no errors, no crashes.

But even so, even if a certain line is not inside the INI, yet, it can simply be entered into it manually at any time as well. The exact order of the lines doesn't even matter much. As long as they are in the correct sections, the game mostly won't mind... or rearrange them automatically the next start and close.