Should You Be A Werewolf or a Vampire? - Elder Scrolls Lore Discussion

stebbinsd

So as we all know, some people in Tamriel can transform into werewolves. Other people are vampires. Well, imagine if you were forced, as some cruel practical joke from a daedric prince, to become either a werewolf or a vampire, but you got to choose which one you became. Let's also assume that you actually care about innocent people and want to cause as little harm to others as possible while still maintaining the best quality of life possible for yourself. Which should you choose to become?

In my most recent Youtube video, I endeavor to analyze the two forms and decide which is the lesser of two evils. I hope you all enjoy it.

I like wolves. I don't like the idea of vampires... that goes back to a horror film I watched as a child... Salem's Lot... the kid, Danny Glick, I think his name was... he rose up and scratched on the windows. After I'd been allowed to watch it (and been secretly scared witless), my dad waited until I was asleep, leaned out of another window, near midnight, and scratched down my bedroom window until I woke up in terror... I can't forget it yet and Im nearly 54.

Vampires?... No!

I always found the werewolf to be more fun, though....

... guess I'd be a werewolf on those grounds alone. Hoowwwwllll! ('scuse me, the moon's full)

I like wolves. I don't like the idea of vampires... that goes back to a horror film I watched as a child... Salem's Lot... the kid, Danny Glick, I think his name was... he rose up and scratched on the windows. After I'd been allowed to watch it (and been secretly scared witless), my dad waited until I was asleep, leaned out of another window, near midnight, and scratched down my bedroom window until I woke up in terror... I can't forget it yet and Im nearly 54.

Vampires?... No!

I always found the werewolf to be more fun, though....

... guess I'd be a werewolf on those grounds alone. Hoowwwwllll! ('scuse me, the moon's full)

My video was about the in-universe pros and cons of each :sad:

I've now watched the video. Using your analysis alone, I'd be hard pressed to decide, so I take your point. About the only thing I'm left with is which I prefer to play as, to swing the balance. I can only really speak about Skyrim. As far as that goes, I'd still stick with werewolf, given my preferred warrior play-style. Given the differences that you point out between games, I can't see how it's possible to select one or the other for all games. Each would need to be weighed up on its own merit.

From the moral point of view curing either in Skyrim does no harm to innocent people. For mage type players I'd say vampire is the best way to go with the necromage perk boosting some spells and shouts.

That was an enjoyable video. It made me think more about the two options. When I next play as a mage, I'll buck my usual trend and try vampirism.

From the moral point of view curing either in Skyrim does no harm to innocent people.

Well, you do need to go out and kill someone and trap their soul. Sure, you can kill a bandit, who isn't innocent, per se, but is any mortal capable of committing a crime so heinous that they deserve an afterlife in the Soul Cairn?

That was an enjoyable video.

Then might I persuade you to subscribe?

Here's a playlist of my most well-received work, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpL3n7W6QqgD8E8s9lrCD6ysUjYJV8bd0

Edited by stebbinsd

By the time I've needed to cure vampirism, I've almost always got a store of full and empty sould gems, but even if I hadn't I'd just go and clear out a dungeon that I hadn't been in yet. I've never cured it this next way but I believe that if you're a vampire before becoming a werewolf, lycanthropy cures the vampirism... so no new death required.... except for a minimum of 2 Hagravens if you decide to cure the lycanthropy.

The entire game revolves around killing bandits, mages, draugr, dragons and hagravens, all of which are sentient. If you play the civil war you have to participate in the slaughter of hundreds of soldiers because you disagree with them about who should govern Skyrim. Even if I didn't have a full gem, it seems a bit disingenuous to get sniffy about killing one more bandit.

Even the Lycanthropy cure could be argued as being immoral. Certainly the Hagravens aren't the nicest and they attack on sight, but they are sentient and they wouldn't ever leave Glenmoril to attack the player, so that's effectively an assassination job to get what you want for yourself, Kodlak and possibly Vilkas and Farkas.

Buying a house in Skyrim is more morally debateable than curing vampirism, IMO. Each and every one requires killing a number of sentient beings before the respective Jarl will say you qualify to purchase a home. Each time you act as judge, jury and executioner.

If I had to behave according to my personal morals as a player, I'd have to watch Hadvar killing all the Stormcloaks and then spend the rest of the game picking herbs to sell, so that I could buy some clothes, whilst living in one of the abandoned shacks. Maybe I'd help protect the guards from the dragon at the Western Watchtower and go and live with the Greybeards. Klimmek would just have to lug a few more bits of preserved food up the 7.000 steps! :smile:

I don't have a YouTube account, BTW, that's just a personal thing, but I'll look at the other videos when I get a chance.