I'm so sick and tired of how unstable the game is

1096bimu

I really wanted to replay the game after all this time, try out the new mods and everything, but I really can't stand the ever more frequent crashes of all kinds. I almost spend more time solving issues than playing the game:

- Endless loading

I have no idea what causes this, I tried disabling mods and stuff (of course there are a few good ones I cannot disable or I might as well just not play the game. And of course the DLCs). What happens is I cannot load the game because it gets stuck after loading about 1.1GB into memory.

The strange thing is that there is a solution and it always works. You just need to start a new game, and then quit to main menu, and then it will load. So stupid and time consuming.

- Freezing

I think it has something to do with loading certain parts of the world. because it often happens when I'm walking. and repeats every time I walk to the same spot.

The solution is simply to keep reloading and hope that it works by chance. Again, time consuming and stupid. Why does it work some times and not others?

-CTD

I have no idea why this happens. Sometimes It's a mod like the detailed map will cause it to CTD whenever I open map. Sometimes it just happens for no reason.

-TESV.exe has stopped working

Again, no idea what causes it, just happens whenever it feels like it.

Overall the game is just so unpredictable it's like a junkyard machine it kinda works but you're always in fear of it stop working so you have to constantly press F5. But unlike Fallout NV, pressing F5 will pause the game for a brief second, which is really annoying when you're pressing it all the time!

I think it's mostly because of the new patches or whatever, When I first started the game I can't even choose my race it just says look up failed. Hell I couldn't even choose my sex without instantly crashing( I think it was the hair mod). I had to do all sorts of mods and console commands just to customize my character. I remember it was much more stable when I first played it when it just released. I never ran into any of the bugs so I don't know what they did with all those patches, just broke the game.

I think tomorrow I'm just gonna try re installing the game, and only install the mods that I have tried and saw was good, leaving out all others. see if I get lucky this time.

and oh, please don't tell me I don't meet the system requirements. My new system is at least twice as fast as the one I had when the game first released.

Edited by 1096bimu

<deleted comment>

Edit: oops, I though I was somewhere else. Sorry :sweat:

Edited by DavidYokosukaJapan

Oddly, it seems that the more powerful a computer is, the more crash-prone Skyrim is. I've been playing on a 2008 model Gateway that barely met the minimum specs and I almost never had a crash (when I did, it because of a mod). Simply upgrading the video card made Skyrim freak out. I think I finally narrowed it down to the shadows setting. Even though the Radeon 7770 is more than capable, any shadow setting above medium causes issues. Perhaps....just perhaps....the quad-core Phenom 2.2 is bottlenecking the system. I dunno though.

I think Bethesda's Gamebryo-based games are a coin toss in terms of stability, for most hardware configurations. I have a fairly powerful computer, and I can't remember the last time Skyrim crashed (not counting alt-tab induced crashes). I'm using 2048 shadow map resolution, because any more than that cuts too much into the frame rate. Runs stable and as smooth as butter, with a bunch of mods. On the other hand, I wish New Vegas ran like that...

MY PC was the cat's nuts in 2010, I use WIN7 64

My Skyrim is damned stable, and I'm using over twenty mods

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful ;)

I think with PCs, it's a balancing act to get certain games to run stably. There's so many trade-off and things to try. OP, you give no specs or things that you run in the background...really hard to say what might be wrong

Edited by Riprock

I think Bethesda's Gamebryo-based games are a coin toss in terms of stability, for most hardware configurations....

I think you're on to something there. My rig runs Skyrim stable as a rock, always has (I have maybe 50 or 60 mods). However, for quite a while FO3 and FONV were an absolute nightmare, even with a completely vanilla set up. I eventually got FONV rock stable, but even now FO3 causes me problems (albeit much better than the initial crashfest it was for quite a while after release). Other peeps, however, seem to have been able to run FO3 without a hitch right from its initial release.

When I read about all the peeps having stability issues with Skyrim, even with the vanilla game, I just count my blessings.

I think Bethesda's Gamebryo-based games are a coin toss in terms of stability, for most hardware configurations....

I think you're on to something there. My rig runs Skyrim stable as a rock, always has (I have maybe 50 or 60 mods). However, for quite a while FO3 and FONV were an absolute nightmare, even with a completely vanilla set up. I eventually got FONV rock stable, but even now FO3 causes me problems (albeit much better than the initial crashfest it was for quite a while after release). Other peeps, however, seem to have been able to run FO3 without a hitch right from its initial release.

When I read about all the peeps having stability issues with Skyrim, even with the vanilla game, I just count my blessings.

I really didn't think my spec is a problem, because I run a 3930k, 16GB memory and HD 7970 graphics. I know it's not like the best money can buy, but it shouldn't be an issue running this game. I even suspected it was my hardware due to my undervolting, I set back all my voltages and it doesn't make any difference.

Today I did exactly what I said, i reinstalled the game, and reinstalled all the mods. It worked for some time but then it's back to the same old BS after I installed a couple of new mods. I just don't get it I mean I don't even install that many mods, and I don't have the really large ones like that 2k texture thing. The biggest ones I have are the armor and weapon packs, as well as the skyrim redone mod.

One thing I have noticed; there seem to be a lot more "Why do mah Skyrim crash???!!!1111ONEONEONE" threads since the 1.8 update. Hopefully, once Bethesda gets around to releasing Dragonborn for the PC it'll include a fix for whatever they destabilized....but I won't hold my breath.

You're right - 1.8 has done damage to what had become a "relatively" stable piece of software. Regular CTDs have returned, and there is now significant stuttering in first person view. I've tried turning down the graphics settings on my card but to no avail. Yes, I have >60 mods installed, but the game had been quite solid prior to 1.8. I hope that they fix it soon because it is virtually unplayable in it's current state. Intel i7/2600, 12 gig ram, o/c nVidia 560ti, Win 7/64.

You're right - 1.8 has done damage to what had become a "relatively" stable piece of software. Regular CTDs have returned, and there is now significant stuttering in first person view. I've tried turning down the graphics settings on my card but to no avail. Yes, I have >60 mods installed, but the game had been quite solid prior to 1.8. I hope that they fix it soon because it is virtually unplayable in it's current state. Intel i7/2600, 12 gig ram, o/c nVidia 560ti, Win 7/64.

I must say, I'm running pure vanilla while I'm building stuff in CK and 1.8 runs fine. So did the 1.7 series.

With >60 mods installed, I think it may be more a case of not every mod being at the 1.8 level yet. Which also would explain the many crash threads - people running tons of different mods which may or may not have been updated.