Any old Quest For Glory fans here? The Coles are making a new game&#33

blake00

Hey guys.. I just realised I should probably post about this here as there are pockets of old fans out there like me in the various comunities who played the old Sierra adventure games like Kings Quest & Space Quest etc and of course the great aventure RPG hybrid 5 game series Quest For Glory! QFG is largely one of the reasons I got into Elder Scrolls so quickly as their skills systems are very similar! :)

Good old QFG pics

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r581/Blakeley00/Games/QFGSeries/QFG1/Screenshot01.pnghttp://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r581/Blakeley00/Games/QFGSeries/QFG1/Screenshot02.png

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d_blakeley/Games/QFGSeries/QFG4/Background.gif

Well after nearly 15 years of quiet the orginal QFG creators Corey & Lori Cole have been inspired by the recent Leisure Suit Larry & Space Quest dudes kickstarers and are working on a new game called Hero-U (kind of set in the QFG universe as they don't have the rights to make a proper QFG games yet unfortunately) and have a Kickstarter for it. There's about 10hours left on the Hero-U Kickstarter and they've aaaaalmost got there but its a worry.. I keep refreshing every hour.. this is gonna be a close finish lol! If there's any QFG fans here check it out and lend a helping hand! :)

I've been broke lately plus to be honest Im not even sure if I'm even gonna like Hero-U but I just threw in a nice $90 for 3 reasons:

1- My way of saying a big thankyou and showing loyalty to the Coles for the 5 QFG games that I’ve love so dearly since my childhood. To me the money is really a payment to the Coles, not really HeroU.

2- The Coles have hinted that if Hero-U is successful then there's a good chance of more QFG games in the future. If it’s not then we can probably forget about any more QFG. So I consider the money a future investment for QFG!

3- Ya never know, maybe HeroU will be really good. It is being made by the Coles after all!

Hope they get there!!!!!

Edited by blake00

I only played QFG: Shadows of Darkness, but it was an awesome RPG, and I'd love to see more games in that vein. Since I'm off-contract at the moment, I don't expect to be able to contribute to the project, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for them!

Yeah QFG4 has always been my favourite in the series too. Glad to see another fan here. I just woke today to discover Hero-U has made its funding, the Cole's are back in business making adventure games! :)

Nice! I'll definitely buy it when it comes out (hopefully I'll have another contract before then), if only in the hopes that it will lead to more QFG games. I bought the anthology yesterday after reading this thread, looking forwards to sinking my teeth into some old-school RPGs.

Cool, yeah I've been replaying the anthology over the last 2 years with all 3 character types reliving my childhood lol & also for my QFG webpage. I still have the orginal box which I treasure heaps. Am now up to QFG5 which I've actually never played before (only had 1-4 & a demo of 5 when I was young), I thought I'd hate it based on comments I'd seen people make but I'm actually really enjoying it! Feels good to know my characters that I started so long ago are now coming to the big end of the story.

Its funny.. people rave these days about how the Mass effect series allows you to import & continue your same character but QFG was doing it in the friggin 80s and 90s haha.

Edited by blake00

Yeah, it's true what you say about importing characters... a lot of elements of QFG were ahead of its time. Speaking of which, I've read that you can save your game after beating QFG5, which suggests that we may be able to import our old saves if the Coles do decide to start up the series again.

By the way, I downloaded (and beat, with a score of 504/500 :P) QFG4.5 last night... then I noticed that the strategy guide I had referenced once or twice was written by YOU. So, thanks for that!

And, oh my god... the date with Hilde... that was wrong on so many levels. :D

Yeah I've heard that, I guess I'll confirm when I complete the game in the next few days hopefully! I spoke with both Lori and Corey Cole a few months ago before they started the kickstarter and they both told me that they are in contact with 2 different studios trying to get the rights to the QFG series off evil Activision. Hopefully if the Hero-U series does well they'll get the necessary funds to push harder for that QFG licence and we will indeed get the chance to continue our characters. Some have said that there can't be a sequel as he's already done the whole ‘become king, get married & live happily ever after’ thing but I say that’s rubbish. The same thing happened with King Graham in King's Quest 1-4, yet along came King's Quest 5 where he put on his old adventuring hat and set out again and was arguably the best game of the series!

Glad to hear my walkthrough helped! If you found any quest or item I missed let me know.

Yeah that one ‘scene’ is probably what made the game a forbidden topic at Quest for More Glory, even mentioning the name gets you banned lol!

Glad to hear my walkthrough helped! If you found any quest or item I missed let me know.

I'm not totally sure, but I think the game may have been updated since you wrote the guide. The reason I say this is because:

A) I was playing as a thief, and had been avoiding fights until the end of the game, when all that was left to do was killing the ghost girl's murderer and taking back the castle. Your walkthrough stated that it's virtually impossible for thieves/mages to increase their health or stamina, but mine increased by 10 after every fight, once I set my mind to levelling them. Once I had 160 of both, the fight with the murderer was winnable.

B) When considered alongside point A, the fact that I ended up with a score of 504/500 suggests to me that someone realized the murderer was too tough for squishy thieves and mages, and made it possible to get a perfect score without killing him. The fact that my fighting stats weren't that hard to level seems to indicate that they also altered the rate at which they increase, to help in that fight.

I may be wrong... perhaps the extra four points just came from some thief job. I didn't really pay attention to where they were coming from.

Also, I've been doing some reading, and it's been suggested that if there is a QFG6, the protagonist will be the child of the original hero and his wife from QFG5. Considering that there are several potential wives available (though I can't see why anyone would choose to marry anybody but Katrina), importing our saves would make sense in that scenario.

Anyways, thanks for bringing news of Hero-U to the Nexus... I'll be following it closely. Looks great so far - after spending so long modding and (occasionally) playing the buggy, action-oriented, mass-appealing "RPG" that is Skyrim (note the quotes), I'll be very happy to sink my teeth into a real role-playing game.

Edited by JanusForbeare

Nah the game was abandoned back in 2001 as the makers had to hide from an angry sierra lol. It’s never been touched since unfortunately. Several groups have tried to fix it up but gave up quickly as apparently the code is really dodgy and poorly done.

That’s very good to know as in version 1 of my walkthrough I said it was possible for all characters to build up enough strength to defeat the murderer. But then I got a bunch of emails from people telling me they'd got their strength into the 300s yet they still couldn't beat him. I tried to do it myself but I ran out of patience pretty quickly as my mage and thief just weren't increasing their stats after stacks of battles. So I adjusted the walkthrough in version 1.2 to say that it was 'near' impossible as I still thought it was possible but had no evidence to back it up. Until now so thank you!!!

I did discover in my version 1.2 walkthrough earlier this year that I was wrong to think it was just about strength and in fact health points (which don't seem to be connected to vitality in QFG4.5) were important too since if you had more health (say 150+) you could stay in the fight long enough to peck away at him. I was able to raise my health points with my mage once and then it just didn't happen again after stacks of battles and I ran out of patience again lol. Unfortunately the stats system in the game is very bugged (I got my climbing skill past 999 into weird minus figures once lol) which is a shame as I'm someone who loves crunches up all the stats to max in QFG games.

Oh wow! I'm a QFG fan! I have the Anthology too, but only made it up to QFG3. My computer had crashed and lost all of my data at the time and I've never picked it back up since. A friend of mine had a copy of QFG1 before it was called Quest for Glory. It was called Hero Quest, but they had to change the name because of a board game that had the same name.

Man that brings back good time!