NPC face issues

chance762

I am not really sure what to search for as I doubt I'm the first ever to have this problem. If there is another thread that covers this , please link me to it! Thanks.

The problem I am having is that a lot of my NPCs have their faces distort drastically. Most of the time it is that the nose tries to go deeper into the face. I am not running any preset mods. I do have looks menu installed.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the entire game and all active mods. During the uninstall, I even deleted my fallout 4 folder before having steam reinstall to make sure no lingering files would be a problem but the weird faces came back. Can anyone tell me where each NPC's face settings are stored? Maybe if I delete those files and let steam repair the game that will work?

List of installed mods:

ACTIVE [Name] Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch - Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598

Potential Mod Conflicts:

1. Oni cute asian face parts

2. Simple clean face for woman

3. HiPoly Faces

4. Better Settlers

5. Beautiful Female Settlers

disable all 5 mods (using a mod manager, so that the mod manager removes all files associated to these mods, or manually remove all content associated with these mods - Meshes, Textures and ESP if applicable) to see if the problem persists.

the game is very sensitive to mods that modify the face.

Edited by G4M3W1NN3R

Heyas Gamewinner! Where ya been?

Chance- Anything that you add that is going to affect the Player is also going to translate over to the human NPCs as well. Unless you are playing with a unique player mod, or a mod that changes the player character race. So that's why some of this stuff can conflict on the NPCs.

I also noticed, that you're using really high res skin textures. I'm just going to mention this, in case you run into the Brown Face bug later on down the road.

If you are using skin textures that are of different resolution than the face textures, Brown Face bug can be a result.

Heyas Gamewinner! Where ya been?

Chance- Anything that you add that is going to affect the Player is also going to translate over to the human NPCs as well. Unless you are playing with a unique player mod, or a mod that changes the player character race. So that's why some of this stuff can conflict on the NPCs.

I also noticed, that you're using really high res skin textures. I'm just going to mention this, in case you run into the Brown Face bug later on down the road.

If you are using skin textures that are of different resolution than the face textures, Brown Face bug can be a result.

hi StormWolf01

i am currently on and off fallout 4 at the moment, the 1.10.163 update has really screwed my game, i am getting ctds in places i have never got them before, so because of that, i decided to jump back on ESO only to find out their is game breaking bugs still not fixed since launch. so decided to yet again come back to fallout, and now doing the extremely long process of checking every single 1 of the mods i have, to see if others are reporting any issues.

the CTDs i had that i have never had before:

1. CTD when picking a perk (never had this before, so i assume, it could in fact be my own perk mod as that is the only mod i have that modifies perks, however i have had my perk mod for a very long time, and not once got a ctd in the perk menu, so i am going to assume i may need to update my mod using the new CK, as it was made on the ck for game version 1.10.138, as the majority of the mods i use are for.)

2. CTD when walking upto the Sentry after blowing him up using the self destruct command in the holotape (the 1 located where the fatman is, near olivia satellite base) absolutely no idea what would of caused that CTD, i suspect the companion i had at the time may potentionally be the cause, or it could of been the loot that the sentry drops, but i have no idea.

i suspect it is the new companion that i have (which is 1 of the very few new mods i have), that could be causing these CTDs although it is hard to say, since the nature of the CTDs are not really connected, but who knows, 1 thing i do know is the majority of times i get CTDs is almost always when i have companions, i can play for a few hours solo and have no issues, yet as soon as i get a companion, i get ctds in a short time, meaning this game really does not like you having companions.

Gamewinner - Oh man :( I'm really sorry to hear that the update hit you too :(

Also sorry to hear that the other game didn't work out either.

We've been going crazy around here, trying to figure out what's causing some of these crashes, since the update. Tho, at least your's is loading your mods correctly. Some of these folks can't even get into the menu screens because of CTD due to their mods not loading correctly.

have you updated the header information to 1.000000 in your mods to match the new game version?

hrm. The companion thing is a new one to me. AFAIK they haven't changed anything about the companions, but I do know that people have been having trouble with settlers, so that might have something to do with the ummmmmm....workshop quest (GAH! brain fart, can't think of what it's called!) workshop parent quest (had to open Xedit to look it up!) But that's just kind of a guess. I dunno if that would help you out or not. I kinda doubt it, but thought it might be even a slim lead.

Chance- What Gamewinner is meaning about the beautification mods... human npc's share all body information with the player character, unless you use a mod to separate them. So the game is trying to assign the oni face, clean face, and other mods to the NPCs, since they share the same human (race) and gender that the mods affect.

Also you mentioned that you don't have any preset mods. But, in all actuality you do. Both of the settler mods that Gamewinner mentioned are preset mods. So those two could be in conflict with each other, but most likely the one that is the lowest in your load order is the one that is taking priority. However, it's most definitely possible that they're conflicting with your beautification mods.

Good luck to the both of you. :)

-Storm

-snip-

have you updated the header information to 1.000000 in your mods to match the new game version?

-Snip-

i have not done that, have not really followed any posts, post 1.10.163, but i will give it a go, cheers for info :) (i have been very idle as of late, only jumping on forums from time to time, to potentially offer assistance, the game itself is not being played, due to continuous issues arising after every update)

i suspect i know why the game is ctd, with companions, i am using the high heels system mod, as well as female companions, and it turns out their is an aweful lot of CTD reports on the HHS mod page, especially with regards to companions causing the CTDs with HHS in effect on them, so that could potentionally be the reason for the Companion Based CTDs. so i will try disabling it on them, and see how it goes.

still checking out the rest of the mods though, and will probably start deleting mods that have CTD reports, as my patience with this game is greatly diminishing. i really need Cyberpunk2077 to save me xD. i find myself not playing games at all, i have a very niche in what games i like, and 90% of the games out dont interest me at all.

No problem at all. yeah, if you haven't been keeping in touch, one of the biggest problems with mod incompatibility right now is the header version number. Anything with header version of 0.950000 or older, needs to be updated to 1.000000

There is also this mod here, which uses f4se to bypass the header check by the exe. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497

Yeah, I can most definitely understand that. Especially if you're losing patience with the game. Helping other people fix something that is also broken for yourself can wear on a person. We do miss ya around here tho!

If you don't drop by again soon, I'll just go ahead and say thanks. I learned quite a bit from your posts, when I started visiting these forums. You've helped me, help a lot of other people around here. I really appreciate that :) Arigato gozaimasu Sensei! :D

Right. After all the fiasco that had gone on about the updates with F76, there was pretty much no way that I was gonna trust an update from bethesda, in my mind. I rolled back the same night.

I definitely hope that the lead on the heels system pans out. Yeah, I remember talking to another player via PM's that was having issues with that as well.