AI Package Clarification.

Nephenee13

I want an NPC to travel from their Editor Position, over to a shop in the IC, loiter in the shop till 8pm, and then leave and return to their Editor position.

I thought I could do this just with two travel packages.

Time: 8

Travel

X Marker

Time:20

Travel

Editor Location

However as soon as they reach the X Marker, they turn around and start heading back, having dropped into the Wander package that takes up that time frame on days they aren't traveling.

Is there a way to flag the Travel package to not end till the next travel package starts, or do I need to insert a wander package between them?

Also, anyone know how the game calculates how long it takes an NPC to traverse from one location to another when the player is not present?

You will need to supply a package to occupy the NPC between the wander packages, otherwise they will fall on the catch-all (if supplied) and return to the editor location. In a nutshell, you have to give them something specific to do.

You will need to supply a package to occupy the NPC between the wander packages, otherwise they will fall on the catch-all (if supplied) and return to the editor location. In a nutshell, you have to give them something specific to do.

Ok, that makes sense.

Also, will a wander package in an interior cell ever take an NPC out of the cell?

Edited by Nephenee13

If you mean 'can you use a wander package to get an NPC from an interior cell to an exterior cell' ... then yes. I use wander packages to get my girls from White Stallion or Benirus to their swim locations (X Markers). If you mean 'will an NPC with a huge radius wander package that could take the NPC outside of the interior cell ever leave that cell' ... no. I use large radius wanders for default editor location wander packages so that you are more likely to find them in unpredictable places inside the cell. Works to a point ... your character needs to be in the adjoining cell for a while to give the AI a chance to decide where they'll be when you go in the door, otherwise they're right by their editor location (ever notice how if you are just booking it from the IC Talos Plaza gate to the Market District the guards and NPCs will always be in roughly the same spot, headed the same way each time).

- Edit - Rather than use a travel package in your example why not use a wander (small radius) at the same vendor X marker for the duration you want them to be there. In your example it would be wander 256 location near reference X marker, start time 08:00 for 12 hours. When the time is up they will either start a package that begins at 20:00 or execute their default package. On the subject of how long it takes them to reach their destination I follow them a couple of times. When the AI is calculating on where they should be I think it depends again on whether or not you give the AI time enough to calculate that before you get to that spot (I tend to run everywhere, often I'll 'beat' the AI and find my girls just exiting for their swim when they should have already arrived when it's not too long after the start package time for example).

Edited by Striker879

Ok, that makes sense.

Also, will a wander package in an interior cell ever take an NPC out of the cell?

Not unless the wander package 'focus' is outside the cell. Use 'Travel' to get there directly (without distractions and side-tracks), and 'Wander' for idle behaviours -- but I'm sure you already knew that. :tongue:

Not unless the wander package 'focus' is outside the cell. Use 'Travel' to get there directly (without distractions and side-tracks), and 'Wander' for idle behaviours -- but I'm sure you already knew that. :tongue:

This is actually my first time doing heavy duty work with AI packages! Its interesting, I sorta like working through the logic involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Striker is right, use the Travel to get them to a location, then Wander in a small radius at location for set time, then Travel back. As they wander they will interact with other NPCs in their vicinity, which gives rise to the Rumor and New Topic advantage of being near NPCs talking. Great for new toons! Although most of us are old, jaded, cantancerous players and we know all the good loot spots already. Ok well *I'M* old, jaded and cantancerous. ;)

Euri