BLOG PIECE: Kickstarter and the mini-revolution

Dark0ne

@wiseman don't you think it's a little premature to ask that question?

i feel that kickstarters for modding are highly immoral, unless they're using that money to pay for professional services (voice actors, artists, programmers) which the modder/team lack. modding is a labor of love, selling it seems wrong. i'm excited for star citizen/squadron 42 though, if they manage to fulfill their promises these games stand to be the best space sims yet.

as a sidenote, if you think freelancer was the last great space sim, give x3: reunion, x3: terran conflict and x3: albion prelude a go, they are great and a lot deeper with complex fleet management and station/space complex building.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@spiderexpert I don't think it is a premature question at all.

There is two sides to the question, knowing the game will be mod-able, regardless of the file types within the game does mean the question of rather it may be popular is not withstanding.

Will there be a modder site for the game is the question or can there be a preselected site to be chosen, if not, then why not here?

It is a perfectly valid question.

@nemo3590 I seriously doubt Sui Generis will make it with 1 day left. Hope for the best anyways. imo that game looks like it wont go anywhere. Not enough players for that type of game anymore.

Edited by wiseman1zulu

I'm not sure how viable this is for big games. You're right that backing a kickstarter project is not the same as just going to the shop and buying a game. Backing a project makes you a contributor, not a customer - there are no guarantees. You need to be prepared for the possibility that the game might be a failure or that it might not be finished at all due to diverse difficulties in the studio.

I have backed a Jane Jensen adventure game because it was very little money (very little risk), but if a giant game like Dragon Age had been done by kickstarter and the minimum investment had been 60 euros, I would not have backed it. I'm afraid I'm not ready for the revolution yet.

Edited by nulukkizdin

"9 hours, £8.000 : Can it be done?! Yes it can!"

I'm encouraged because they still needed over 9.000 when I checked just over an hour ago!

And it's only getting better!

7 hours left and only 3K left to go. =D

If they keep pulling in people for the final funds-surge they'll be alright.

OT:

Eh.. wut?.. Right, supporting kickstarters that originate from the modding community? hell yeah! Love to our fellow modders!

I just hope that dreaded downfall is still a long while off for KS.