Game freezing in combat with humans after level 20ish

e1grey

For some reason(s) I start experiencing frequent freezes whenever I'm in intense combat situations with humans. If there are lots of raiders or gunners and they're shooting at me, the game is almost guaranteed to freeze. It hasn't happened, when I played stealthily. It appears to only start happening after level 20 or so; maybe a level or two later. I started a playthrough on survival difficulty, and I never experienced this issue on lighter difficulties - was able to reach level 50 and higher.

I haven seen a single similar bug report on any of the mod pages I'm using. I tried deleting mods I had installed before switching to survival, but it didn't help. I can't think of anything that's causing it.

Hi grey!

There's a couple of things that I think might be happening here. And I don't think that your character's level has anything to do with it, but it's more along the timing of it.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like your saves might be going back bad with baked in script failures. And it's just taking that long, before it gets to the point that the game can't use your saves anymore.

As for the heavy gunfight combat... is your computer up to spec for what this game requires? Do you experience any other big FPS drops anywhere or anytime else (Downtown Boston is kind of an exception to what I'm asking. Unless you're running a really great computer, Downtown is a hard hit for many computers).

Also, it's a bad idea to permanently remove mods, especially a bunch of them, in the middle of a playthrough. Because if you're removing mods that have scripts in them, that have been used by the game, those scripts are written into your save game. And can't be removed. Since the mod is no longer there, those scripts are now orphaned. And will cause save game corruption.

Edit 2- Are you using any mods that affect your perks, or specials? That might be related to the level problem.

Edited by StormWolf01

Hi grey!

There's a couple of things that I think might be happening here. And I don't think that your character's level has anything to do with it, but it's more along the timing of it.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like your saves might be going back bad with baked in script failures. And it's just taking that long, before it gets to the point that the game can't use your saves anymore.

As for the heavy gunfight combat... is your computer up to spec for what this game requires? Do you experience any other big FPS drops anywhere or anytime else (Downtown Boston is kind of an exception to what I'm asking. Unless you're running a really great computer, Downtown is a hard hit for many computers).

Also, it's a bad idea to permanently remove mods, especially a bunch of them, in the middle of a playthrough. Because if you're removing mods that have scripts in them, that have been used by the game, those scripts are written into your save game. And can't be removed. Since the mod is no longer there, those scripts are now orphaned. And will cause save game corruption.

Edit 2- Are you using any mods that affect your perks, or specials? That might be related to the level problem.

I'm running a few script-based mods; the biggest ones are Better Locational Damage and Flashy(JoeR) - Crime and Punishment. I installed the latter for this new playthrough, and the issue I've described had happened without it. Also, before starting a new playthrough, I removed about ten or twelve mods I wasn't actively using; some people said the game has a limit to how many BA2 archives can be loaded at once, and those I removed were mostly with BA2 archives (also with LL integration if it matters).

I have occasional 1 or 2-second FPS dips when entering exterior cells with a lot of NPCs doing a lot of things but the freezes consistently happen only when a large number of enemies are actively hostile against me, whether it's an exterior or an interior cell. In a big dungeon, like East Boston Prep School or Gunners Plaza, if I let the enemies know I'm there as I've just entered, it's very likely to freeze.

In this playthrough I have not removed any mods (or installed any new ones), including the script-based mods. I'm aware that certain mods should stay installed from the beginning and that removing them may cause all sorts of issues. The authors usually have a warning in the mod description.

Hullo hullo.

Thanks for the information Grey. That helps alleviate the theories that I had going on from your first post.

Before I get to the rest of it, I'll just go ahead and touch on what you were asking about the ba2 files. I've seen some users that have up around the area of 500 ba2 files in their data folder and then start experiencing problems from it.

Another way to get around that is to unpack the ba files, and leave them as loose files. Tho, you have to make sure that you have the exact right folder structure for that to work. (This is also one reason why some mod authors ((MA's)) have an optional file for loose files.)

Ok, are you using any race mods?

Are you using any Hud mods?

Do you fight using VATS a lot?

Or bullet time?

Also, are you using this mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497 to make sure that you don't have game version vs mod version conflicts?

Hullo hullo.

Thanks for the information Grey. That helps alleviate the theories that I had going on from your first post.

Before I get to the rest of it, I'll just go ahead and touch on what you were asking about the ba2 files. I've seen some users that have up around the area of 500 ba2 files in their data folder and then start experiencing problems from it.

Another way to get around that is to unpack the ba files, and leave them as loose files. Tho, you have to make sure that you have the exact right folder structure for that to work. (This is also one reason why some mod authors ((MA's)) have an optional file for loose files.)

Ok, are you using any race mods?

Are you using any Hud mods?

Do you fight using VATS a lot?

Or bullet time?

Also, are you using this mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497 to make sure that you don't have game version vs mod version conflicts?

Not sure I understand what a race mod is.

No HUD mods.

I use VATS mostly when I'm out of combat. It's not practical in an intense situations with Better Locational Damage running. The game has never frozen in VATS or around using it.

I do have a bullet time mod installed (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9325) and use it occasionally. Again, the game has never frozen while using it or immediately after.

I don't use Version Check Patcher.

Ok, a race mod would be one that lets you play as..... for example... a ghoul, with all the ghoul benefits, or as another example this cartoon looking female race that I can't pronounce.

Ok. So it's not your hud that is causing this. Vats is part of your hud, that's why I was asking.

I've gotta head to bed. But after I get up, I'll check to see if there's any problems with Better locational damage. In the meantime, if you're running f4se, you should get the mod that I linked to. The older versions of the game do not run mods created with the latest version of the CK. And the newest versions of the game don't always even run mods created for the pre-November 17, 2020 game update.

That might be part of your problem right there, so give that a try and see how it works out.

I'll be on again later tonight and check into that for ya.

Hi again Grey. Ok, it looks like I'm going to need to get some information from you.

The first thing, is what version of the game do you have installed? You can find this out, by going into your Fallout4 folder, right clicking on Fallout4.exe, then clicking on Properties. A box will open up with some tabs along the top. Click on the tab that says Details. The screen in that box will change and you will see what says version details. That's the number that I need to know.

Next thing I need to know is if you are using a mod manager, and if so... which one.

I will need to know your load order. This is the list of mods that use esp, esl and esm files that are installed into your game.

The easiest way to get that, is to go into your C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Fallout4 You will probably not have a folder called Admin in your Users folder. Unless that is the name that you type in, when you go to log into your computer. The name of the folder you'll be looking for will be whatever name you use to log into said computer.

In this fallout4 folder, you will have a file named Plugins.txt. Double click that and choose to open it with notepad.

Now hold down the CTRL key (located to the left of your SPACE bar) and tap your A key. That will highlight everything on that page. Now, still holding down the CTRL key, Tap the C key. That will Copy Everything that you have highlighted.

You can now paste the list into a post here on the forums. So I can see what you have as far as mods.

Hi again Grey. Ok, it looks like I'm going to need to get some information from you.

The first thing, is what version of the game do you have installed? You can find this out, by going into your Fallout4 folder, right clicking on Fallout4.exe, then clicking on Properties. A box will open up with some tabs along the top. Click on the tab that says Details. The screen in that box will change and you will see what says version details. That's the number that I need to know.

Next thing I need to know is if you are using a mod manager, and if so... which one.

I will need to know your load order. This is the list of mods that use esp, esl and esm files that are installed into your game.

The easiest way to get that, is to go into your C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Fallout4 You will probably not have a folder called Admin in your Users folder. Unless that is the name that you type in, when you go to log into your computer. The name of the folder you'll be looking for will be whatever name you use to log into said computer.

In this fallout4 folder, you will have a file named Plugins.txt. Double click that and choose to open it with notepad.

Now hold down the CTRL key (located to the left of your SPACE bar) and tap your A key. That will highlight everything on that page. Now, still holding down the CTRL key, Tap the C key. That will Copy Everything that you have highlighted.

You can now paste the list into a post here on the forums. So I can see what you have as far as mods.

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

I have to correct something I overlooked. I'm using Vault Girl mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38220?tab=description) that changes certain HUD and Pip-Boy animations and icons. It's plugin-free and doesn't require DEF_UI or HUDFramework; it only changes animation files. It still counts as an HUD mod, right?

I use game version 1.10.163.0. and Nexus Mod Manager version 0.71.1.

My load order:

*Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp

*WorkshopFramework.esm

*Homemaker.esm

*IceStormsTacticalOutfits.esl

*XDI.esm

*ArmorKeywords.esm

*HUDFramework.esm

*Mors Sit Anywhere.esl

*Wasteland Illumination DLC.esl

*Wasteland Illumination Far Harbor ESL.esl

*SettlementMenuManager.esp

*Rusty Face Fix.esp

*Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects.esp

*HZS Easy Homebuilder and Working Double Beds.esp

*HZS Office and Stores.esp

*SettleObjExpandPack.esp

*PosterForYou.esp

*PostersForYouLandscape.esp

*Snappy_HouseK.esp

*Snappy_DLC03.esp

*Weapon Rack Extended.esp

*AES_Renovated Furniture.esp

*Housekeeping.esp

*Crimsomrider's Convenient Resources.esp

*g2m_Workshop_Nexus.esp

*BasementLiving.esp

*Thematic and Practical.esp

*BAM-BetterArmoryMod.esp

*creativeclutter.esp

*dinoshelf.esp

*WorkshopPlus.esp

*ImmersiveScrapping_SeasonPass.esp

*Crimsomrider's Perk VFX Removal.esp

*MK_ComponentsRedone.esp

*MK_Agony.esp

*Better VATS - 0.75.esp

*Better Perks.esp

*Better Locational Damage.esp

*BLD - Leveled Lists - DLC.esp

*Better Locational Damage - DLC_Automatron.esp

*mentatsredux.esp

*Better Locational Damage - DLC_WWorkshop.esp

*RAW INPUT.esp

*Better Locational Damage - DLC_Far_Harbor.esp

*Better Locational Damage - DLC_Nuka_World.esp

*BLD_Agony_Patch.esp

*Better Aim Models.esp

*Better Explosives Redux.esp

*Better Power Armor - Extended.esp

*Better Power Armor - BLD - Patch.esp

*Weapons of Fate.esp

*X01Light.esp

*Locky Bastard.esp

*Locksmith.esp

*LureEnemies.esp

*Freeze.esp

*Freeze - Vanilla Patch.esp

*Keep Radiants In Commonwealth.esp

*Crimsomrider's Sorted Keys.esp

*NoBOSVertibirdRandomEncounters.esp

*FewerAutomatronRobots.esp

*Esk_NoTeleportingCreatures.esp

*Durable Vehicles - Indestructible.esp

*VaultGirl.esp

*VATSMove.esp

*RealJetpack.esp

*SlowTime.esp

*SalvageBeacons.esp

*Realistic Death Physics - ALL DLC.esp

*SCM.esp

*DarkerNights.esp

*DarkerNightsDetection.esp

*PiperCaitCurieDialogueOverhaul.esp

*VC_BetterWorkshopLightsComplete_Shadows.esp

*Vault-tec brighter lights.esp

*dD - Small Splatter Size.esp

*dD-Enhanced Blood.esp

*HeadWounds.esp

*No More Fake Puddles - Nuka World 1-0.esp

*detailedferalghouls2K.esp

*FlaconOil_BA2_2K_Part1.esp

*FlaconOil_BA2_2K_Part2.esp

*FlaconOil_BA2_2K_Part3.esp

*Vivid Fallout - All in One - Best Choice.esp

*OWR_SFM.esp

*CBBE.esp

*LooksMenu.esp

*LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp

*KSHairdos.esp

*Lots More Facial Hair.esp

*Lots More Female Hairstyles.esp

*Lots More Male Hairstyles.esp

*The Eyes Of Beauty.esp

*AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp

*MiscHairstyle.esp

*CROSS_GoreCrits.esp

*CROSS_GoreCrits_FarHarborPatch.esp

*RemoteExplosives.esp

*InteriorsEnhanced-All-In-One.esp

*RussianAssaultPack.esp

*F4NVServiceRifleRedux.esp

*9mmPistol.esp

*BLD_RussianAssaultPack.esp

*9mm Pistol BLD.esp

*G36Complex.esp

*F4NV-AMR.esp

*HK_MP5.esp

*Tomacuzi9.esp

*AK400.esp

*AK74M.esp

*MP7.esp

*HK_UMP.esp

*Krebs.esp

*OTs33Pernach.esp

*RU556.esp

*ReconPack.esp

*L96A1.esp

*L96A1-BLD-Patch.esp

*Binoculars.esp

*RiotShotgun.esp

*Idiot s!@£.esp

*DesertEagleNV.esp

*3dscopes.esp

*3dscopes-framework.esp

*3dscopes-servicerifle.esp

*RightHandedHuntingRifle.esp

*AKSounds.esp

*InstitWeapPosit.esp

*M1A.esp

*PL-14.esp

*SV-98.esp

*ASH127.esp

*CROSS_Uni_BosUniform.esp

*Evil Detective Outfit.esp

*TheKite_Railroad_Handmaiden.esp

*WestTekTacticalOptics.esp

*VisibleWeapons.esp

*Holsters & sheaths.esp

*Friffy_Holstered Weapons.esp

*jags78_SWA_L96A1.esp

*jags78_SWA_RiotShotgun.esp

*Visible Weapons Extended - OTs33.esp

*C_VWAS.esp

*Modern Assassin.esp

*CROSS_BrotherhoodRecon.esp

*CROSS_CoA.esp

*CROSS_2077.esp

*CROSS_InstituteExpeditionarySuit.esp

*Backpacks of the Commonwealth.esp

*MyCart_Biohazard.esp

*NukaRadBans.esp

*Improved Raider Bosses AIO.esp

*AgemoNPCs(E).esp

*Armorsmith Extended.esp

*CraftingFramework.esp

*Crafting Mastery.esp

*OutcastsAndRemnants.esp

*Insignificant Object Remover.esp

*ProjectValkyrie.esp

*Depravity.esp

*DiverseChildren.esp

*KC-DC.esp

*AA FusionCityRising.esp

*RRTV_FizztopGrilleEnhancements.esp

*SOTS.esp

*stumbleuponinteriors.esp

*InsideJobs.esp

*The Lost Vault.esp

*GoodneighborExpanded.esp

*SalemEXPANDED.esp

*ConcordEXPANDED.esp

*MsRae_Shops.esp

*Minuteman Watchtowers.esp

*BostonFPSFixAIO.esp

*DCGuard_Overhaul.esp

*Stm_DiamondCityExpansion.esp

*Fallout 4 - New Postapocalyptic Soundtrack made by Orkus - FIX.esp

*OWR2_CraftableDecor.esp

*OWR2_CraftableDecor_CW.esp

*OWR2.esp

*LanguageLoverJapanese.esp

*Flashy_CrimeAndPunishment.esp

*Flashy_CrimeAndPunishment_OAR_Depravity_Patch.esp

*Raider Children.esp

Hiya Grey. Sorry for the long time not getting back to this. Was in training for a new job.

No problem, glad to help out when I can :)

The stuff in the pip boy is actually more along the lines of UI (User Interface) . And it doesn't use the same hudmenu.swf files.

Ok, so here's what you might try. Make a backup of your current game Fallout4 game folder. Then try the autopatcher for Hudmenu. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20309?tab=files

see if that will straighten out the problem that you're having.

I'll check back in again to see if there's any updates from you when I get home and I'll be on my laptop.

Good luck :)

Storm