[LE] Setting up game for new mod work - Main quest-line completion and character level questions

sornan

Hello :)

I'm interested in beginning work on a quest mod, and in order to even start I need to setup my game to emulate the requirements of the mod - which would be the Stormcloak main quest line completed. My issue is my only character in game right now is only level 18, and is far from having completed the Stormcloak main quest line.

Could anyone lend a hand here, as I need to know how I can automatically complete the main quest line - perhaps via a console command - and lastly, and very important, is at least generally what level my character *should* be once the main quest line is completed and what console command in Skyrim is used to auto-level your character (as I recall in Oblivion this was able to be done via a console command as well).

Really appreciate help here, as I can't really start work on the mod until this initial stuff is done.

Thanks! :)

The console command to set players level is Player.SetLevel <Level>. Example: Player.SetLevel 99 sets your level to 99. To complete a quest type in SetStage <quest Id> <Last Stage>. Example: Type SetStage CW02B 200 to complete the Jagged Crown quest. To find quest ID's and last stages of the stormcloak quest go here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Stormcloaks

Edited by dylbill

There are a lot of additional things that could take place when playing the game vs completing quests via console. I would recommend taking a little bit extra time and use a default character preset and god mode (TGM in the console) to "rush" through the minimum quests necessary to access, start and finish the civil war quest line. This way you do not run the risk of breaking something or making something unavailable / inaccessible by jumping ahead via console. After all, you need a save file for testing your mod that will be as close to what a user might have.

There are a lot of additional things that could take place when playing the game vs completing quests via console. I would recommend taking a little bit extra time and use a default character preset and god mode (TGM in the console) to "rush" through the minimum quests necessary to access, start and finish the civil war quest line. This way you do not run the risk of breaking something or making something unavailable / inaccessible by jumping ahead via console. After all, you need a save file for testing your mod that will be as close to what a user might have.

This.

As far as what level a character should be after completing a questline, that's a crapshoot. Some people don't finish questlines until they're level sixty or better. You can probably expect someone to be level 20-30 by the time they finish the Civil War, though.

Hey, thanks guys for the replies :) I appreciate the help, I was starting to think I'd have to figure all this out through more searches and trial and error.

The console command to set players level is Player.SetLevel <Level>. Example: Player.SetLevel 99 sets your level to 99. To complete a quest type in SetStage <quest Id> <Last Stage>. Example: Type SetStage CW02B 200 to complete the Jagged Crown quest. To find quest ID's and last stages of the stormcloak quest go here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Stormcloaks

Very helpful, and I thank you for the link there.

I certainly understand, and of course ideally this would be the safest approach, although still with Tgm active it may take some time, so at least I would like to try hitting end game right off the bat first, and if it does not work, then there is the fall back here - or perhaps revisit this later once some work on the mod has been accomplished. Thanks, very good advice :)

This.

As far as what level a character should be after completing a questline, that's a crapshoot. Some people don't finish questlines until they're level sixty or better. You can probably expect someone to be level 20-30 by the time they finish the Civil War, though.

Great to know :) Very helpful, and maybe I'll just shoot for 25 or so then.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers :)

If you know exactly what is it that your mod requires on finishing civil war, then you can use Papyrus scripts and/or console commands do make a test fixture savegame, fit for your purposes. Won't be a one-liner "setstage ..." for civil war questline because it's made of radiant quests.

For an example of Papyrus code that finishes civil war - Betrayal at Hrothgar, Second Great War

For changing ownership of holds - setstage mq302test ... can be used quite effectively.

If you don't know what exactly would it be, it's better to play it through and/or use some savegame file that has it already done. There are two minor variants, depending on whether player went through Season Unending on the main quest, or not. Should you test your mod against both of them? Well, that is why it's good to understand what exactly makes it requirement for your mod.

• 5 months later...

Things with the mod have changed, and the completion of the civil war is no longer a requirement.

I've gotten my character to level 18, and I have a question about enchantments -

For testing purposes:

My character is pretty purely melee - 2 handed swords based with heavy armor, apprentice restoration and novice archery.

I want to be sure my character is not too under-powered for the level, and I would like to enchant at least some of the armor pieces, I was thinking Fortify Health, as it seems from research that Fortify Armor is a pretty weak enchantment actually.

/Edit

I did some more research, and decided on level 2 enchantments on 2 pieces of armor for Fortify Health, along with a level 2 fire enchantment on a sword for harder scenarios. Seems like this should be at least moderate for a level 18 character that is melee based.

Finally can get on with adjusting enemy difficulty now.. yay! :)

Edited by sornan