Out of curiousity, how many horses have you killed?

acidzebra

Now, before you get the wrong idea, in my main game I'm really careful with my horse. Except for those awkward times when I'm surveying my surroundings on a narrow ledge, turn to leave, and forget my horse has a turning circle rivaling that of a boeing 747 at cruise speed. And down she goes.

In my mod testing (especially when making new terrain/features), however, I often console in a horse to do a quick survey of my surroundings (player.forceav speedmult just feels wrong though I contend that you could make a great racing game out of skyrim - it would also give the loremongers a heart attack. See? No downside), and if there is a sharp drop and I need to be on the other side of it, I see no issue with steering it right down the cliff since I'm in god mode and well, I can always console up another horse. Also the player bounce animations are funny. But when I hear that last NEIGHURGH I always feel a slight pang of guilt.

So out of nowhere and slightly random, I was wondering, how many horses have you gone through?

Edited by acidzebra

Hi, the first time I played vanilla, I think I killed at least 5 or 6, probably as many as 10. :facepalm:

Convenient horses was one of the first mods I ever used--and one of the first things I did was make horses invulnerable. While purists would call that cheating, I don't consider it entertaining to hear the (very realistic) dying scream of a horse, over and over. (Perhaps I should be troubled by the fact that the dying screams of human(oid)s does not spoil my day? Gonna have to dwell on that some.. :mellow:)

Ha, I do run convenient horses (hello, pack mule!) and I've made them cowards but I can't bring myself to make them invulnerable. It just feels wrong - to me. But I also set any followers I have to non-essential - it's how I like to play the game. People - and horses - die if you're not careful. It makes you careful ;)

Probably in the hundreds. With Midas Resurrect, I leap off cliffs, kill the horse, resurrect it, and keep going. Ignoring damage completely, resurrecting as needed (Which is often).

Depends on the kind of character I'm playing though XD.

None. Well, one or two maybe but I reloaded. (Got that obsessive disorder to press F5 every two minutes, you see?)

I'm using a mod that makes my horse follow really well (a small underrecognized mod, wish I could remember the name...). I think it warps to me if it get's lost. It stays away when I'm fighting. And has saddle bags. And can be told to stay. And will actually stay. Love that mod.

Plus "magic markers" put one in the saddlebags, and never loose your ride again!

Since horse camera ini tweaks do not work anymore I run everywhere with my horse following. So far it did not manage to jump off cliffs on it's own.

Oh and using almalexias grace from apocalypse spells I outrun it regularly. :biggrin:

For my only character with followers I'm using UFO. If the follower's horse get's lost, the follower has to walk. After all the horse was his / her responsibility.

None, I only kill animals in game if it´s really necessary and plus I use a console code for the horses run when danger appears.

I don't really ride horses because I keep crashing the damn things. They were useful in Oblivion but in Skyrim the dumb critters can't even run down a slope without breaking their legs, despite not running much faster than my actual character. It's made worse by a mod I use that lets me jump higher, which has the side effect of giving the horses super leaping abilities they sometimes can't actually survive. Also, it doesn't help that the hostile NPC seem to prioritize my horse over me.

Basically, I find them to be slow, clumsy, fragile creatures of limited use.