Theives Guild

RJLbwb

It is my imagination or the developers seem to have a problem "getting it" with the Thieves guild stuff?

The whole crew of losers in the Ragged flagon who sit around who demand the PC do all the work while they eat their lunch with the raw sewage (Bartender "People just seem to want to leave the guild these days" My PC looking at a dead skeever floating by "Imagine that")

A lot of the quests are buggy with broken NPCs that auto detect you when you have to be stealthy or the quest fails.

After the whole lecture from Noctonial about how making money is the only thing that matters, then a lot of quests that are charity work, to put it mildly.

And the usual Skyrim collection of scummy NPCs who insult and belittle the character because the NPC is in the god mode. I think this last bit wouldn't be so bad if the developers put in dialog options were you could insult them back.

Also not sure if I was missing something but that Museum in the main quest line were you have to fight a room full of town guards. That seemed quite opposite of being sneaky and subtle.

Oh well, console commands solve those problems.

It is my imagination or the developers seem to have a problem "getting it" with the Thieves guild stuff?

The whole crew of losers in the Ragged flagon who sit around who demand the PC do all the work while they eat their lunch with the raw sewage (Bartender "People just seem to want to leave the guild these days" My PC looking at a dead skeever floating by "Imagine that")

A lot of the quests are buggy with broken NPCs that auto detect you when you have to be stealthy or the quest fails.

After the whole lecture from Noctonial about how making money is the only thing that matters, then a lot of quests that are charity work, to put it mildly.

And the usual Skyrim collection of scummy NPCs who insult and belittle the character because the NPC is in the god mode. I think this last bit wouldn't be so bad if the developers put in dialog options were you could insult them back.

Also not sure if I was missing something but that Museum in the main quest line were you have to fight a room full of town guards. That seemed quite opposite of being sneaky and subtle.

Oh well, console commands solve those problems.

you don't have to fight the guards you know :tongue:

it's entirely possible to sneak past them all the way, just that takes patience.

I actually much prefer the Skyrim Thieves Guild to the Oblivion one. They're actual criminals this time around, not pretending to be Robin Hood fighting the good fight for the little guy. The thieves of Skyrim are honest about what they do, they steal, ocassionaly they threaten, beat or kill people to secure their own interests. Basically, they operate like you'd expect a band of thieves to operate.

And about the PC doing all the work. Would you rather do just some of the work? Isn't that a bit counter-intuitive? The more content for you to do the better, for the sake of immersion you can pretend the other thieves are out and about doing their own thing while you do the big jobs so I don't see the problem there.

As for the state of their headquarters, I like it. They could easily have given them another location, but considering they're in Riften the Ratway makes the most sense as a location. Nobody really goes down there, it's easily defensible if someone does decide to go down there with plenty of places for a sneaky fellow armed with a bow or dagger to strike from. It also keeps them out of the public eye while still building their legend as a very real and present force in Riften.

I agree with UrgeNexus on this one, i think Skyrim's Theives Guild was vastly superior to Oblivions, and is in fact one of the best story arcs in the last 2 games, maybe even 3. It's the story driven guild experience everyone seems to want (though i miss the job oriented guilds of yesteryear) without the white-wash do-gooder attitude of Oblivion (lets face it, even the Dark Brotherhood weren't very evil). You actually feel like a band of theives (self interested and shifty) instead of Robin Hood. You actually have a guild hall that feels like a den of infamy and scum instead of some post up-town appartment. And, best of all, no world shattering plotline! If the key never gets returned, so what? Nocturnal's curse on the guild smothers it, but the world doesn't end. All in all, though i felt kind crappy about it at the start, i think Skyrim's theives guild is a good representation of the combination of storytelling, mystery and atmosphere Beth's writers are capable of. I wish they would be more consistant, but its a glimmer of shadow in an otherwise over-lit Nordic tomb.

I like the skyrim thieves guild the most so far, simply because their patron gets involved finally.

Though the main plot is supernatural again, this time (unlike Oblivion which was simply a penance of one man) it does involve entire guild.

Though bit saddened (such word exists right?) with how the fate of DB developed lately (maybe in 6th part (if ever) they won't be present anymore).

I never considered either Thieves or the Brotherhood evil, after all thieves make out the best of their abilities and Brotherhood simply grants people

their darkest whishes.

I don't care if the guild is going for the robin hood approach or the thug approach, i want to sneak around and STEAL things.

that's what oblivion gets right. in skyrim, your expected to go around with heavy armour and a warhammer killing things.

And the idea of a thieves guild armour is stupid. more so when the guards recognize the armour.

And the idea of a thieves guild armour is stupid. more so when the guards recognize the armour.

Indeed. As is the idea that becoming the Guild Master suddenly spawns a bunch of morons who - for reasons only known to them - steal silver candlesticks in broad daylight so they can be slaughtered by the local townsfolk.

I liked the Robin Hood feel of the Oblivion quests but enjoyed the Skyrim Thieves Guild quests, too - until those fellows started showing up everywhere. Kind of embarrassing for my master thief PC, you know?

I don't care if the guild is going for the robin hood approach or the thug approach, i want to sneak around and STEAL things.

that's what oblivion gets right. in skyrim, your expected to go around with heavy armour and a warhammer killing things.

Not really, I've played through the Thieves Guild twice and I suck at stealth in this game, I managed fine with light armour, a bow and a dagger. I avoided killing if I could, but I didn't hesitate to cut a few throats if I had to. I really don't see where you're coming from with this one.

As for Guild Armour, yeah that is a bit silly. But then I figure the Thieves armour could just as easily be practical light armour for any adventurer. It doesn't really look like something made specifcally for thievery, I usually either ignore it when guards comment on it, or pretend they're corrupt like so many of them are.

I went through the thieves guild wearing regular clothes most of the time, and the official TG outfit when I was 'on-duty' (and not in public in town) The only killing I ever did on the job was taking care of Mercer and during the reputation quests.

No, I wasn't in god-mode, running normal difficulty, and with no gameplay-altering mods...I was just, y'know, SNEAKY.

So yeah, there's no reason to be killing constantly while on the job.

Not really, I've played through the Thieves Guild twice and I suck at stealth in this game, I managed fine with light armour, a bow and a dagger. I avoided killing if I could, but I didn't hesitate to cut a few throats if I had to. I really don't see where you're coming from with this one.

As for Guild Armour, yeah that is a bit silly. But then I figure the Thieves armour could just as easily be practical light armour for any adventurer. It doesn't really look like something made specifcally for thievery, I usually either ignore it when guards comment on it, or pretend they're corrupt like so many of them are.

I probably should have worded that better. Not saying its impossible to be sneaky, or use light armour or whatever, its just that you get in no trouble when you kill, killing is recommended, killing is easier than sneaking by, ect.

In oblivion, killing anyone on the job gets you in trouble with the guild, giving you a reason to be sneaky. The thieves guild in skyrim wasn't built with stealth in mind. Being sneaky shouldn't be in option in the guild. it should be a requirement.

Edited by Carmelpoptart