Mod permissions fine print

nisen

Hi, if someone on heres a moderator or knowledable on the fine print of mod permissions could you answer this question

Ive ported a FONV mod to FO3 and think other would appreciate it being available, plus on the FONV mod page it says

"You can do ANYTING with this file. You can use it on your projects, include it in other mods, modify as you like, anything. Just give me a little credit."

Buut the 'official' permissions section says its not to be ported to any other game.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5281/saysthis.jpg

So is that a cut and dry issue, that it can never be uploaded to fallout3nexus by people other than the original author? or is it more likely one of those default settings 99% of modders forget to deselect when releasing mods. I know ive never looked at changing default permissions myself, plus this mod author mentions hes not that great with English, so might not even reply my PM, or mabye hell just think my questions stupid after he left the disclaimer on the mod page

Edited by nisen

You should contact the original mod author and explain your question, just as you have done here. It is a ligitimate concern and not checking could result in you being banned if the original author objects to your conversion and upload for a different game.

I've read the forums A LOT for information on this from the staff and it sounds like, if the mod uses resources from FO:NV and is a direct port then it cannot be used because of licensing. If the mod created its own resources and just happens to be on FO:NV this seems to be okay. Directly ported resources from FO:NV put the Nexus in a real bind because FO:NV is a different game from FO3. Edited by drjones013

thanks drjones, i had a strong feeling that was something they wouldnt like so much.

Interestingly as i was figuring out how to remake the esp, had been looking at porting guides, guess it was lucky i ended up knowing what to do to make it soley with FO3 GECK, (very simple mod) as im hardly a skilled modder and took a while a accept id covered the bases

Edited by nisen

There is a lot of crossover between FO3 & FONV.

FONV includes most of the vanilla FO3 assets - those they could legally allow that were not 3rd party creations. Many were not even used in FONV, but are still in the program item listings. All of those are allowed by default.

Some FONV only vanilla assets are not allowed in FO3 mods. And some FO3 vanilla assets that are not included in the FONV assets are also not allowed.

As for user made assets, if the author allows - they can be used in other games. There are authors who just don't want their work used in particular kinds of mods. - such as mods that show explicit sex, or nude mods. One who makes clothing for males only who asks that her creations not be converted to be used by female characters. If your mod does not fit any of the categories that they object to, they are usually happy to allow it.

If the author is still active here, it should be easy to get permission.

Thanks for the clarification Ben, the authors still active so expect ill hear from him soon and that he wont have concerns how its been used, it essentially just patches the mod to do the same thing, (even down to the installer appearance) in FO3 as in NV and even left his name as the author in the installer script, just giving a mention that i added the esp in the short description, and changing the mod url to the FO3 address. Can see it here