Need a reliable Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini and settings info

zyg0tic

I dont think he meant he runs fupdatebudget ay 500, thats just we way he typed the sentence. The loading screen budget seems like a fair enough setting to safely increase but my thoughts are if you need to, then your system is not handling all the scripts anyway, outside that window that is.

For z-fighting, the terrainmanager settings seem the only combat. I run a splitmulti of 2, i still get 60fps mostly outdoors and its a good balance. I had it at 3 for a while but i noted better performance at 2. Also more z fighting at closer ranges with that setting higher.

Edit - small observation i made to today, i reinstalled wet n cold. First save i loaded was at windhelm, mcm menu registered in 10 seconds. Out of curiousity i loaded a save outside Winterhold, looking south over the hills where i usually drop down to 50fps. Mcm menu took over a minute, maybe 2 to load. I might go back and test this multiple times to see if it always is like this.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For z-fighting, the terrainmanager settings seem the only combat. I run a splitmulti of 2, i still get 60fps mostly outdoors and its a good balance. I had it at 3 for a while but i noted better performance at 2. Also more z fighting at closer ranges with that setting higher.

Here's a link to STEP that handles Z-Fighting: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Z-Fighting#tab=What_is_your_fix_3F

That's what I did, except for the ugrids to load changes... that's simply too dangerous in my opinion. Oh and yes it involved fiddling with fSplitDistanceMult and vision/object load distance range.

Edited by blattgeist

You know, i played the first 95 hours of my current save at 7 grids. I changed it back to 5 while testing/patching another guys load order on my machine. 145hours in now, at 5 grids, same save, no noticeable problems.

Having said that i agree with not changing this setting. Overall you have a happier framerate and you dont miss out on all the action. It kinda sucks out on Whiterun plains though, watching everything pop in.

Edit - i have a previous 350 hour save that was at 7 also.

Having said that i agree with not changing this setting. Overall you have a happier framerate and you dont miss out on all the action. It kinda sucks out on Whiterun plains though, watching everything pop in.

That's where mods that add distant terrain objects come in handy. Like enhanced distant terrain, to make things look more lively. But yes, Whiterun plains are a pain to look at... there's no helping it though :wink:

I don't really play the game much. I'm more into modding it.. so can't give such high hour examples.

Edited by blattgeist

Ive got a couple of those, EDT, SFO and something else. I can see all the buildings from afar and the mountains look great so i havent put all that much effort into it. Regarding saves, those 2 saves are starting from the beginning of 2014. My latest one i started, i think, March this year. These are just my observations really, i too cannot fathom limits as a concept ;). This is why Skyrim has broken my bank at the hardware level XD.

It's fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS that I run at 500 (the game default) and I keep all of the other Papyrus settings at the defaults too. The 30 FPS is due to both my graphics card and CPU being significantly substandard. There are lots of mods that I can't even think of using, but a surprising number of them work just fine too, including some that are considered script intensive. But even my Storage Helpers mod is much nicer with higher framerates because it sorts items twice as fast if you're running at 60 fps as it does for me at 30 fps. I actually keep fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS at 500 because I would rather deal with watching mannequins walking across the room occasionally than have extra delay at every single load screen whether it's needed or not. (Unfortunately when you change that setting the game will add that amount of time to every load screen even if there's no extra Papyrus script activity that needs to be done.)

The simple fact is that if you optimize your system in general and keep your framerate as close to 60 as you can then you've already optimized the Papyrus performance with the game's default settings. Raising the BudgetMS settings can lower your framerate and (unintuitively) make some script activity slower. Think of Papyrus as one of those people who constantly procrastinates but does best under pressure and manages to get things done at the last minute. Give it too much time and it will just waste it, not get more things done.

Ok i think i understand why now, if a frame takes longer than that means it will take longer for the next script update to occur because the budget is indeed used per frame. I should have picked that up in the beginning when i mentioned the framecapping. This really seems like an uneconomical implementation of a script engine.