⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Mods don't show up in-game

hurdel

My oblivion is installed in the x86 and everything works fine. My testing buddy couldn't run any of my mods, just like you, and then we figured out he'd never installed the official patch. Once he patched it everything worked perfectly. He also has his in the x86.

You should not have Oblivion installed in Program files. Period.

But why? Everything works perfectly. With administrator privileges I set my whole Oblivion folder to be read/writable by anything, so there's no issue. Sure, before I did that, things were being saved to a virtual storage folder, but it was an easy matter to change the permissions on the Oblivion folder and all its subfolders.

Is there some harm that can be done by having Oblivion in the Program Files?

Is there some harm that can be done by having Oblivion in the Program Files?

It will make your life much more difficult in general, if only because a large number of people who will provide support for issues (myself included) will not provide said support until after it is moved.

Also disabling the UAC just because you don't want to move your Oblivion installation is a really, really terrible idea.

Also disabling the UAC just because you don't want to move your Oblivion installation is a really, really terrible idea.

Why? I'm the only one who uses my box and I know what I'm doing on it... I'm not a 2-year-old banging on the keyboard with a rubber mallet :-P

• 4 months later...

Trying to bump this thread back to life, i'm having a similair issue with a few texture and environmental mods.

OP, was issue resolved?

To begin to explain my situation I have the following mods :
-DarNfield UI (No issues)
-Updated Loading Screen Mod (No Issues)
-Expanded Song Track [several seperate mods] (No Issues)
-Qarl's Texture Pack 3 (Issue)
-Natural Environments (Issue)
-Darker Nights and Dungeons (Issue)

The only mod installed using OBMM was the DarNfield UI mod, and that works perfectly fine. The two other mod's that are not having issues were both installed just extracting the files directly into the Data folder.

The texture and environmental mods were all installed following the readme instructions and directly extracted to Data folder. They do not cause my game to crash or expose glitches, they simply do not activate. They are recognized though, by looking in the launchers Data Files they are all listed.

I intend to re-install my game to a location outside of my program files later on. But I would like to hear back from OP.

Edited by Arhedee

Having the game installed outside of program files is the only sane place when on OS like Vista or Win 7.

Though I wouldn't call it 'bugged', if the tools are simply denied access to the files by your OS. There's nothing the devs could've done different to make it work, after all.

Steam, along with all its contents, has been successfully migrated to C: Games. Sadly, I had to do a clean install on Oblivion because of a noobish mistake. Before I downloaded my first mod i made a vanilla back up of the Data folder. And after I moved steam's files I decided to revert Oblivion back to stock, just by replacing the modded data folder with the back up. And nowwww it doesn't launch. This time I'm going to back up all Oblivion's files onto my little tiny 70 GB external HD.

Oh well, i'm just worried that my saved games won't apply to the fresh version.

After I get this up and running again, i'm going to reinstall one of the mods that wasn't working before and see if migrating Steam to the new location helped at all. I will keep this thread updated when new info arrises.

**Edit: This is now a question about modding TES in general, but the problem does occur in both Oblivion and Skyrim so this might be the same issue as I was having before.

A quick update from the post above this one. After reverting Oblivion back to vanilla, my save files were no longer compatible with the game and I lost all my progress. So I moved on to Skyrim, and what do you know, I'm having the same issues...

It seems like it is only the graphical mods that affect the textures and what not of the environment. I have successfully installed all three Sounds of Skyrim mods, "Eat, Drink, Sleep and Bathe", as well as the Bandolier mod. But then I decided to install "Better Dynamic Snow" through the Steam Workshop with no prevail. When that didn't work I went to this site to dl the HD Snow Mod because apparently that and BDS are extremely compatible with eachother. And, predictably, recieved no results.

I'm really stumped here... I'm at work so I can't give the exact models of the hardware im running but I can give a rough outline if that helps out.

Win7 64bit

16GB DDR3 RAM

Intel Core i7

AMD Radeon 7xxxM

Intel HD 4000 On-board GPU (This could be another model, I don't believe Skyrim is actually using this though)

I can give more info once I get home.

Edited by Arhedee

• 1 year later...

for me i run boss it fixes my mods it says no errors like errors:0 but when i run the game the mods dont show up like the master sword in the temple of one when i fast travel to the temple disrect and i go in its not there so please help me like i might try unistialling it but until that

i want to see if there any other last resorts other than being a suicide bomber with this