What's your story?

AnubisRaven

I've seen a few threads similar to this, but all of them are ancient. I figured with Dragonborn coming soon (sooner for some than others) now would be a good time to look back.

So, what's the story behind your dovahkiin? If you're using mods, those definitely count as part of it. Who are they? Why are they in Skyrim? Did they arrive in Helgen, or did they get to Skyrim by some other way? How do they feel about being the Dragonborn? All those sorts of questions. Feel free to share as much, or as little as you like.

Although I've had a plethora of characters, my main one at the moment is a Nord named Jon, 23 years old, born in the year 178 of the 4th era.. Although a Nord, he grew up in Chorrol, the son of an impoverished knight turned blacksmith. His mother was a trader who died shortly after his birth when she was attacked by a pack of wolves while on the road. He was born some time after the Great War, but, even while growing up, he still saw it's impact. In the year 200, his father died, and he became a guard of Chorrol, learning to fight with a sword a shield. In the year 201, his Uncle, Andmund dies. As Jon is his last surviving relative, Admund gifts Jon with his modest property, Winterglow Estate, which sits on the edge of Laintar Dale. It is this that provokes Jon to cross the border, where he was caught in the middle of Tullius's ambush, and assumed to be a Stormcloak rebel. His escape is, of course, typical.

Jon's not quite sure what to think about becoming the Dragonborn. While a part of him somewhat enjoys the power and attention, another part thinks that both the Greybeards and the Blades are insane to think that he will be able to kill the world-eater.

As I've said before, I'm really bad at role-playing, so my Dragonborn's story somewhat mirrors my own life, right up until the bit with the dragons...

He's a Breton in his early thirties. He served in the Legions for a number of years in his youth before being injured while fighting bandits. He was discharged from the Legion as it was not believed that he would be able to serve with his injuries, though he has since regained full use of the wounded limb.

He spent some time working in various capacities under a number of minor noblemen in High Rock before growing restless and joining a merchant caravan as a guard.

He travelled to Bruma where he left the caravan and, having heard of the situation in Skyrim, decided to head North to seek employment and we all know where that path led.

After his escape from Helgen in the company of a Stormcloak rebel he found himself plagued by uncertainty arising from his bitterness toward to Legion for casting him aside and his fellowship with the Legionnaires. Eventually he re-enlisted with the local Legion, noting with some grim amusement the commander's remark that 'once you're in, you're in for life'.

As it is Skyrim is currently in an uneasy peace and the Dragonborn, still coming to terms with the events of the last few months (incuding a trip into the afterlife), is focussing on his duties as a thegn of Whiterun and considering pursuing further studies at the college in Winterhold.

Edited by Tundrastrider

I don't have one right now, recently I've started several new character and none of them have really stuck. I'm a bit torn actually.

Part of me feels like my character must have some magic skill for a lot of stuff to make sense, such as all the quests that require you to enter the College which forces you to become a member. I want to do the quests, but I don't necessarily want to join the college if it doesn't make sense for my character. Also, the fact that the First Lessons quest stays in my log drives me crazy. Because of that, I feel like a mage or spellsword type of character is what makes the most sense, thing is, I've played that archetype so much I'm getting really tired of it.

Also, seeing as Dragonborn will take place in Apocrypha to some extent, I feel like I should be a magical character of some sort to fully appreciate the realm of forbidden knowledge.

The other part of me wants to just do a pure warrior. Someone who relies on his equipment to win fights and uses Shouts as backup. This will also let me use crossbows without it feeling redundant (Why use a ranged weapon when you can shoot lightning out of your hands?) and crossbows are awesome.

I do want to make a character relatively soon to be ready for Dragonborn, but I can't make up my mind. If anyone has any insight on this issue I would love to hear it.

This is my new character I'm about to start. I tend to use this template whenever I'm creating a character.

Name:Percius Lerus

Race: Imperial

Born: Last Seed-12-181-Imperial City, Cyrodiil

Family:

Mother: Unknown

Father: Garuss Lerus

Background:

Year 181: Percius is born. His mother dies giving birth.

Year 182: Percius is abandoned by his father and left to live in an orphonage.

Year 183: Percius takes interest in stories of dragons.

Year 184: Percius becomes very aggressive.

Year 185: Percius at age four shows trouble following rules.

Year 186: After attempting to run away Percius is beat.

Year 187: Percius forms a tight bond with two friends with Percius as the leader.

Year 188: Percius learns to read basic stories.

Year 189: Percius is becoming a quick learner and displaying much intelligence.

Percius and his friends are caught trying to steal an iron dagger from

the local blacksmith and are punished.

Year 190: Percius's friends are both adopted.

Year 191: At ten years old Percius is now allowed to explore more. He meets a

legion member who secretly teaches him to fight with a sword and shield.

Year 192: Percius gets in a huge fight will another orphan who was bullying a

young girl. Percius takes down the bully as well as his two friends.

Percius is severely punished.

Year 193: A man in armor comes to take Percius away. They travel to Bravil.

The man is harsh but trains Percius in combat and is amazed with

his natural talent... Although he never tells Percius this. The man

is a former legion member who was kicked out for various crimes

within the legion.

Year 194: Percius tries to escape the man but is captured, beaten harshly and

almsot killed.

Year 195: Percius continues his training and is not allowed outside.

Year 196: Percius is forced to fight for his life as the man forces him to face

a bandit. Percius has no choice but to fight. He easily kills the bandit.

After this fight Percius is treated much better and the man tells him he

will be leaving shorlty although Percius does not know where.

Year 197: Percius meets his father who is a "mercenary". It turns out that his father

after much debate decided to let Percius live with the hopes that he could

use him as a source of money later in life. Percius had been trained to be

a mercenary like his father. Although his father considered himself a

mercenary he resembled an assassin much more closely.

Year 198: Percius travels with his father around Cyrodiil and sees his father commit

many horrible acts: including murder, theft, and rape. He fears trying to escape

however, because he knows his father is a powerful man as well as being

a very capable warrior himself.

Year 199: One night, Percius's father, threatened by his son's fighting abilities, tries to

kill Percius. They engage in an epic fight with Percius taking out all his anger

he has towards his father. Percius faces the fight of his life and cannot seem

to find a weakness. However, his father is having similar troubles. Fighting to

for almost an hour his older father finds an opening and slashes Percius

across the face with a dagger. Percius hesitates and then lunges his sword

right through his father's chest. Percius only moderately injured his finally free.

Year 200: Knowing the connections his father had, Percius knows men are looking for

him. He plans an escape through Skyrim's border.

Year 201: Percius heads north through Skyrim where he is ambushed...

Personality:

Natural Leader

Brave

Loyal

Skills:

Sword and Shield

Speech (Loyalty)

All Races

Combat

Dislikes:

Politics

Thalmor

Magic

Fears:

Darkness

Goals:

Looking for a Purpose

Misc:

Occasionally Drinks

Favors One Handed Weapons and Shield

Favors Light Armor

I always make millions of characters, I never stay on one for to long.

I'm thinking of making an assassin, so here's his story, and I've decided to give it a bit of an 'epic' sort of feel.

In 4E 174, a tavern prostitute of Wayrest was visited by a ghostly apparition, the Dread Father personified. 9 months later, following a bloody and painful birth, the child, an Imperial, had taken his father's name. Lachance.

As a child was merely a burden on the business of a prostitute, Giovanni Lachance was given for adoption. From a young age, Giovanni had displayed a very sadistic nature, and the harsh life of an orphan only cemented his twisted personality. He was rightfully feared by all of the church going staff of the orphanage, whom eventually came to legitimately regard him as truly the spawn of Oblivion, as he could truly be called nothing but Daedric. He had, on many instances, bought great harm to his fellow orphans and eventually began terrorising anyone who attempted to bring the word of Mara to him. One noteworthy instance was when he had intentionally set the hair of a small girl on fire for his amusement. He was the boy who even the hardened, older bullies avoided.

The one person who stood up to him was the headmistress of the orphanage, who strongly believed that she could mend his ways through beatings. It was during one of his usual beatings that he lost his left eye. It was hoped now that his disability would force him to to rehabilitate and he would eventually give up his inherent brutality. Of course, the result was the exact opposite. While usually following a beating, Giovanni would take his anger out on an innocent child, this time he had chosen to vent his rage on the headmistress herself. That night, he had managed to sneak into her quarters with a simple, home made shiv. In an attempt to silence the victim, he placed his right hand firmly over her mouth. This had unexpectedly awoken his victim and a struggle ensued.

Neither combatant having any experience in a fight, it was far from an epic battle. Swiftly bought to the ground and gripped firmly by the throat, Giovanni looked set to loose the fight there and then. knowing this, the Headmistress had forgotten the weapon that was still firmly planted her younger adversaries hand. She, of course, remembered it after she found it planted in her chest. The sudden realisation and horror forced to to unhand the child with a look that pleaded mercy and portrayed desperation, met with another swift strike, and another. Thinking himself the victor, Giovanni stood over the bloodied corpse with a grin. Only to have it wiped from his face at the sound of the creaking of the door.

By luck, or the will of the Dread Father, it turned out that the Headmistress was a hated woman. So hated, in fact, that the only words of the man whom had just entered the room where "An amateur job".

To this end, Giovanni, at just 6 years of age, had been presented with the adoption papers to join the family he had for so long been in need of. It was without any thought or question that he agreed to join the Wayrest family of the Dark Brotherhood.

His training had begun the following day. He was taught professional knife play and archery, and practiced his lessons in the art of stealth in the streets of Wayrest. Occasionally, to test his abilities, he would choose at random a stranger amongst the crowds to stalk, and eventually kill. His lack of one eye, however, proved a severe barrier in his training, effecting his depth perception and his field of vision. He had, eventually overcome these obstacles, and his archery and knife work were amongst the best in the sanctuary.

It was with the Brotherhood also, that Giovanni gained religion. He was bought up with, and embraced, the worship of Sithis and the Night Mother. He would often display a zealousness matched only by the most reverent of Sithis' children. The 5 Tenants to him where more than simple rules. They were the whole foundation of his 'morality'.

By the time he was 14, Giovanni was the embodiment of the Brotherhood. A seasoned assassin. Heart of stone, blood of ice. The words of his superiors were law, and his traditions of the Brotherhood were his very foundations.

It was at this age, that he was tasked with the assassination of a High Ranking nobleman in the court of Sentinel. The contract took several months of stalking, assessing security and planning until, finally, the murder. The job went down relatively well. Posing as a chef, he managed to spike the nobleman's wine with Nightshade extract. He fell face first into his meal in the middle of a speech to a crowd of thousands. This did, however, prove to create quite a problem for his escape route. Eventually, Giovanni managed his way back to Wayrest, only to behold the aftermath of the cities fall to the corsairs.

He couldn't stay in High Rock. it was too close to Sentinel, and the Redguards were surely after him. He decided to make his way north to Skyrim, and from there, south to Cyrodiil. He was almost sure the Brotherhood had completely fallen, and his only hopes were to try and build a new life in service to some corrupt Imperial official. As it turned out, a member of the Elder Council was in need of someone to do his dirty work, and as such, for the next 9 years, Giovanni engaged in political assassinations under the safety of his employer.

This didn't last though, as other members of the Elder Council had formed an alliance against his employer, and eventually, Giovanni's activities were uncovered. His only option was to flee north, as he had no guarantee that the Thalmor would have need of his services. It was in this exile, that just outside of Darkwater Crossing, the real story of Giovanni Lachance began...

EDIT: Wow, not to blow my own horn, But I should probably look at writing a fan fiction with this. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by RighthandofSithis

my current character

Ingrid the Icewolf

Level: 155 (character type: Assassin-ish)

Race/Sex: Female Dunmer (I know it’s a nordish type of name)

Birthdate: 3E 428 Lokken Village, Solstheim, Vvardenfell

Parents: Selene the Wraith (Female Dumer Nightblade), Wulfren (Male Nord Warrior/Chieftain)

Ingrid was born the only daughter of the Morag Tong’s guildmaster and the Chieftain of Lokken Village. Selene also happened to be the Nerevarine & Head of the Morrowind branch of the Imperial Intelligence Service, amongst other things. Selene, Wulfren, Ingrid and the rest of their family lived in the castle overlooking Lokken Village. Ingrid picked up most of her mother’s features & her father’s white hair. She also inherited her mother’s immortality. At the age of 4 Ingrid was abducted by an ancient & powerful lich, possibly linked to the underking (perhaps not though). Ingrid was banished to a lesser realm of oblivion (in a fashion similar to how Uriel the VII was held by his battlemage), it took Selene 2 months to track down and defeat this lich & figure out how to rescue her daughter from oblivion. In the two months that passed in the mortal realm Ingrid lived 10 years, becoming 14 instead of 4 years of age. Surviving in a realm of oblivion for 10 years turned Ingrid into a lethal stealthy killer, with a cold personality and pale complexion to match. These features earned her the moniker “Icewolf”.

Ingrid the icewolf began taking writs for her mother’s guild of assassins, quickly rising in the ranks under her own merits, and doing so nearly as quickly as her mother did in the previous years. In 3 months she attained the rank Exalted Master (though 3 times as long as it took her mother)

1 year later Selene the Wraith vanished from solstheim, a few months later her daughter tried to follow, first heading to the main island of morrowind then to Cyrodiil. Ingrid lost the sent in the imperial city. Where she ran afoul of a certain corrupt imperial guard captain who had her imprisoned just before the mythic dawn attacked the emperor and his heirs.

***Oblivion Crisis Happens***

After the battle for the imperial city & the daedra all dead, well dead-ish... Ingrid decided to stop looking for her lost mother and for a time settled down in the imperial City with her good friend Vilja. However, the dark brotherhood wouldn’t likely forget the actions of her mother (mainly slaying the nightmother in morrowind), and having the daughter of the Morag Tong’s guildmaster in reach was too good to pass up... so they tried to strike, and failed to connect. And Ingrid decided to go on the move, never stopping for long, never making friends, just a never ending series of movements... and every so often a group of dark brotherhood assassins would turn up dead somewhere, until the rival guild of assassins was no longer able to strike. And Ingrid returned to cyrodiil and decided to head north to skyrim.

Personality:

Tight-lipped, and more than a tad frosty, initially. However, she is honourable, confident, charismatic, and clever.

At first glance appears to be all business, no humour, just matter of fact in general.

Deep down, she is actually quite kind, caring, and empathetic. You just have to get past the frosty exterior to get to the warm & fuzzy parts.

never liked all this hero concept so my natural choice is that my character isn't dragonborn.

Name: unknown (doesn't remember)

Given name: Cael (by a wanderer to whom she refers as "mother")

Born: exact date unknown, presumably 1st era after founding of eight divines religion by empress Alessia.

exact origins shrouded in mists (still working on it).

Found freezing to death at her physical age of twenty two, her body recovered by random wanderer.

Passed into death after 3 days sttruggling on verge of death, emerged two nights after.

Wanders the world of Tamriel since then in search for her creator, successfully walking in shadows whole this time. Walked past most events in Elder Scrolls series so far.

Personality:

Arrogant

Jealous and passively hostile to anyone who treasure, honor their origins.

Shows her bright side on rare occasions.

Loyal to Cyrodiil Vampyrum order even though she claims to have no affiliations.

Philosophy: "monster, yes...some hunt out of their needs, some still deny what they've become,

I find pleasure in what I am I do not regret it, I embrace what I am."

Traits:

Excessive blood addiction (feeds even when she doesn't have to).

Doesn't use transformation (most likely to go frenzy everytime she transforms).

Obsession with Molag Bal (even though she doesn't know why).

Hatred towards anyone demostrating their power.

Maintains rather large wardrobe and is a honored customer in Radiant raiments

Current Residence: secretly lives in Solitude exploiting the fact that Jarl's court wizard is a vampire.

Political orientation: Imperial, given the fact that she has ties to Cyrodiil vampyrum order and is a shadow shareholder of east empire company.

After eras her endless journey leads her back where it all begun, to Skyrim...arrived in Solitude on a east empire company ship shortly before attack on Helgen. Caught up rumours about vampire hunters activity after encountering a vigilant of stendarr in Markarth. Where she went intrigued by rumours of forsworn.

Despite her character she bears no hostility towards vampire hunters and dawnguard in general.

Most likely she harbors resentment and jealousy towards Volkihar royal family ever since after realasing Serana from her slumber.

Edited by k361

Right, I've made a new character, or resurrected an old one really. We'll see if it sticks untill Dragonborn comes out, I think and hope it will.

Name: Ghorak

Age: Late twenties to early thirties (I prefer having it remain flexible in case I've gotten part of the timeline mixed up.)

Race: Orsimer

Ghorak was found abandoned on the doorstep of the Fighter's Guild in Bruma along with a note carrying his name. He was taken in by a Nord (Still haven't come up with a good name for him), a veteran of the Great War and a warrior of some local fame. After losing his wife to disease while fighting the Dominion, this warrior decided he would raise Ghorak as the son he never had the chance to have.

Ghorak grew up strong, as Orcs tend to do and quickly proved to be a natural in the art of combat. Every day was spent training with his father, with sword, shield and heavy armour. Ghorak was Orc by birth, but was raised a Nord. His father instilled the values of courage, honour, loyalty, hospitatlity and kindness in his adopted son and would tell Ghorak stories of Skyrim, the ancient nords and their great deeds. "Ghorak my boy, you may never see Sovngarde, but I'll be damned if you won't earn the right anyway." Ghorak would carry these words with him for the rest of his life.

In the 201st year of the fourth era, Ghorak's father fell in battle while on assignment for the Guild. He died well as a warrior should and this provided Ghorak with some measure of comfort, yet the fact remained that there was nothing left for him in Bruma. He looked to the North, to Skyrim, and remembered the tales he had heard as a boy. He remembered hearing of Orc Strongholds spread around the mountains. Ghorak's purpose was two-fold, he would go to Skyrim and connect with the heritage of his father and his own, in the Strongholds. He left Bruma behind and would never return.

After a long journey, Ghorak reached the border. He had been slowed by bandits accosting a caravan of farmers on their way to market. He easily dispatched the bandits, but the farmers had already lost a horse and much of their crops. Ghorak did the only thing he thought right, he gave the farmers what little coin he had left and travelled on. With no money for the toll, he would have to find another way, his timing was poor however and he was caught in the middle of a skirmish between Imperial soldiers and stormcloaks. Next thing he knew, he woke up in a cart with his hands bound, on it's way to Helgen.

• 2 months later...

Name: Mike Steel-Knife

Race: Nord

Mike Steel-Knife was born a Nord in 4E 175, in an estate just south of the Cyrodiil-Skyrim border, and his father, a member of the Imperial Legion, died 2 months later, while defending the Imperial City during the Great War. This information eventually lead to Mike harboring a deep resentment of all Altmer, especially the Thalmor, and Emperor Titus Mede II, for being "a spineless coward." At the age of 6, he became an apprentice to a nearby blacksmith, and supposedly could craft an ebony battleaxe at age 10! (Mike also had a bit of an ego) After his house burned down, because an embittered (and vengeful) Imperial Legate lost his arm because his sword, crafted by Mike, shattered in the heat of battle, his mother moved to Bruma, where he spent the majority of his rather uneventful adolescence. There, through a mysterious Khajiit trader, Mike came upon a mysterious little trinket: a small automaton the size of one's hand, that was in the likeness of a Dwemer warrior. This started an obsession with Dwemer relics, ruins, and weaponry. He lost the Dwemer trinket three weeks later, but what did you expect?

Mike later continued the family tradition, and became a blacksmith. The first weapon to come out of his forge was, fittingly, a steel dagger. He always mounted it on his wall, right above the bed. Mike eventually became a supplier for the Imperial Legion, and eventually enlisted in 4E 199. Although he was a decent fighter, he never was a good strategist, oftentimes charging into the heat of battle, sometimes yelling a battle cry about his fellow Legionnaire, Leroy, who died in battle. It was in a battle where he took an ax to the face, leaving him with a scar. He served in the legion for a bit over a year, retiring to tend to his ailing mother, who could barely walk due to rockjoint. His mother died 5 months later.

Mike no longer felt any joy or satisfaction in being a blacksmith, after the ax incident described above. He sold his blacksmith shop, and tried to turn to the simple life of farming. However, it was not meant to be. Once, a small group of Thalmor were searching the area for a hidden shrine of Talos. Mike was approached, and denied anything, but a Justicar noticed an Amulet of Talos on a side table inside. They tried to arrest him, but Mike tried to fight back. He was knocked out, and when he awoke a minute later, his farmhouse and barn were on fire, and his field was salted. He fled north to Skyrim, trying to get in touch with Ulfric Stormcloak's newly formed rebellion. It was there that he would find his calling, on the battlefield, fighting for his Nord heritage, against the dreaded Thalmor and their puppets, against the elimination of a true hero-turned-God. Little did he know, he would find himself much closer to Ulfric than he would expect...

Edited by Dovahkiin234

My dovahkin character, an imperial.

Attia Stormblade, nee unknown

Attia grew up in Bruma, in a modest house legend says once belonged to a hero, across the road from the Great Chapel of Talos that dominated the small, icy city.

She hadn't always lived there, she has vague memories of another, even tinier house near the western ramparts, crowded around on all sides by shacks and shanties inundated with southern refugees. As the only city untouched by the Great War, Bruma was flooded by people trying to escape it. There were cats from Leyawiin and displaced Argonians from Bravil trying to make sense of the snow. Her mother was a heartland Nibenese woman from the Imperial City and came as far north to escape the war as she could before the permafrost quelled her urge to travel. Attia remembers little of her except how much she hated the cold, the ice, the sleet and snow of Bruma, the 'bloody' elves and the filthy nord savages, the thieving Khajiit and sly Argonians and that it was the frigid cold of a particularly unforgiving blizzard that claimed her life one night.

So as a 7 or 8 year old, she found herself relegated to the care of a father she had met only once or twice before. He was a giant of a man, as ruddy as he was rugged with a profusion of flaxen hair that sprouted all over his head. She moved into the afore-mentioned house across the temple and found herself appalled by the thick honey scent of mead that permeated the sooty wooden beams and intimidated by the gleaming war-axe that hung over the fireplace.

Despite all her mother had taught her to despise, her culture-shock was short lived and she adjusted, with time even growing fond of her father's boisterousness and absorbing his love of songs and stories. Her father had fought in the Great War and from him she learned all about Talos, and Tiber Septim and Martin Septim and the Champion of Cyrodiil whose likeness frowned down over the city, and how to fletch a bow and hone a blade. She grew up on legends of fierce men and women like General Jonna, and her own grandfather, a Legate who died in the Battle of Red Ring. She grew up attuned to the simmering rage of the nord people and a yawning hunger in her heart for something more. As a young woman, she enlisted in the Imperial Army, following in her father's footsteps and was deployed to Bravil still smouldering from the civil troubles of '88.

She did another tour of duty in the Imperial City and was garrisoned there when in spring 201, a letter to her father was returned undelivered along with a hastily scribbled note from the innkeep that he had crossed the border into Skyrim.

Shocked and worried, she returned to Bruma to make sense of what happened and learned that the High King of Skyrim had been killed and the country erupted in civil war. The citizens of Bruma were restless, some heartened Skyrim was finally taking a stand, others horrified by the thought of secession and more war. Friends and neighbours each had a different story, some certain her father had gone to Solitude to join the legion, others equally sure he had joined the revolt.

She knew she had to follow in his footsteps yet again, little did she know it was her own destiny that was calling her to Helgen.

Over the next few years, Attia wanders the bleak landscape of her ancestors in search of her father whom she never finds, not even in Sovngarde when her battles take her there. Once Alduin is defeated, she reports to General Tullius in Solitude and renews her commission (despite the misunderstanding at Helgen) but the battle with stormcloaks at Korvanjund makes her question her loyalties.

Alone in the ancient nordic tomb while a deadly blizzard rages outside, with nothing but her thoughts and the Jagged Crown to keep her company, she emerges with a change of heart and sets course for Eastmarch, delivering the Crown to Ulfric Stormcloak and swearing allegiance.

With Skyrim freed, she marries a nord woman and settles down near Oakwood in Falkreath Hold to raise a family, knowing she and her dragons would someday soon be called to defend the homeland yet again.

Edited by Lithium Flower