ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

How to edit Vanillia armors

So I want to use a Guard Armor replacer mod, but I also like the vanilla armors. Solution -- make the old guard armor regular, run-of-the-mill gear that shows up in level lists. I decided that this actually might be a good place to start for modding on my own, but I'm a complete, total noob. Any advice or tutorial recommendations would be super helpful. Thank you.

I think the problem you've got is that you say you want to use a 'replacer'.

It depends how the mod replaces the armour that guards wear. The easiest way to do it is worst for you: the mod adds new models and edits the pieces of the guards' armour to point to those models. That's all they neeed to do. It means, though that the original pieces will never appear in-game with the mod active.

They could have done it by adding entirely new armour, setting up all the armour add-on forms and making new 'Outfits' for the guards, then assigning the new armour pieces to the outfits. That's a whole lot of work, so I'd guess they did it the first way.

First of all open up the mod you like and search for any piece of guard armour (they'll have done them all the same way). If the form has a * beside it, they've edited the vanilla form.

To get the original versions back in, open up CK with no esp active and duplicate each of the vanilla armour pieces you want to keep. Rename each duplicate to a unique ID. You'll have to do this for everything you want to keep. You'll also have to add new 'tempering' recipes so that players can improve the new armour.

You shouldn't need to alter any armour addon forms because the duplicated pieces should all point to the correct forms.Then you can go about adding it to levelled lists, or you can just simply add some chests into the game that contain your armour pieces. That last way is neat in that it doesn't alter any vanilla forms. You could even just plonk the pieces in without the chest and have the player find them. Save and name your esp. Now the modded armour that you like will be on all the guards, levelled lists etc and the vanilla armour will be found wherever you put it!

Hope that helps. It all sounds a bit complex but it's not too bad.