The multiverse!

Lawlacaust

Technically speaking, there are enough planets and stars within our own universe to where there could be mirror Earths or any number of worlds that bear a likeness to many of our fantasies. The only limitation on such worlds is that the laws of physics are likely to remain constant... So there may be no Force, but the existence of Klingons somewhere in our own universe is almost guaranteed. From a multiverse perspective, it's a certainty since you are talking about an infinite number of permutations on a countless number of worlds.

However, this leads to an interesting part regarding how physics work in other universes. The only stable universe that we know of is one in which the laws of physics react in the same way in which they do in our universe... Which is to say that if some aspect was slightly different, a universe might not even be viable for stars or any of the structures we would even recognize to form, and thus arguably not even exist. The question however is if a stable universe could form on different physics.

As for dreams. Nope. Dreams all pretty much derive from the process in which our own brain manages memories and processes data. Which is just as well since most dream "worlds" don't follow any logical pattern beyond what our own conscious mind tries to establish after the fact. Dreams themselves are still good for giving us inspiration and occasionally a solution to our own problems, but are mostly just a collection of jumbled memories, sights, ideas, and sounds as the complex circuitry in our brain dumps the useless information.

I believe that timelines do not just split but sometimes they fuse together. I also believe that many timelines become 'non viable' and fade from existence. I call them 'Alternates'.

As for dreams being just a result of activity of the brain the question is one of does the brain create dreams or just lets us perceive them. It is a question that has arisen more than once and is related to the process of perception of phenomena as much as to the nature of the phenomena itself and more of the same that I will not bother to go into; what is cause as versus what is just coincidental. In other words, when it comes to dreams, we are still in the early stage of understanding their nature are and functionality.

Science can only prove that certain things, certain processes, exist under a given set of conditions. When it comes to proving that dreams are only a direct result of brain activity solid proof is hard to find. People might say that it is obvious but people said that about other matters in the past that were then proven, by science, to not be so straight forward. For example it was considered obvious that bad smells, miasma, caused illness. What we now know is that bad smells that indicate conditions that are of illness or can lead to illness such as the stench of rotten food filled with dangerous bacteria or the horrible smell of gangrene flesh. Brain activity may correlate well with dreams but may not be the cause of dreaming or the only cause of dreaming.

Just a thought!

Your actions and the actions of others have changed things, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse- we are really all connected. Is it possible that we are actually one being split across multiple dimensions acting out every possilble outcome from 1 to infinity? Mind blowing, isnt it? The bible teaches us that God started with one (Adam) and took a part of him to create Eve - is this just a story or is there more to this?

Pretty much what Vagrant said. Dreams are a reflection of the rewiring your subconscious does while you sleep. It's something you aren't supposed to see but occasionally you do (hence it is so random and often incoherent).

They are the meaningless machinations of a busy brain preparing itself for the day ahead.

There is also another theory that since 95% of all dreams are bad they are (or were) supposed to train humans and our subspecies to be prepared for certain emotions they may feel during the day. Things like fear, anger, hysteria. If I am being chased by a predator I may react better if I have been conditioned to the emotion I am feeling.

Edited by Dan3345

Scientists dismiss that claim http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/teehee.gif although that's what i thought to?? Edited by Thor.

There is also another theory that since 95% of all dreams are bad they are (or were) supposed to train humans and our subspecies to be prepared for certain emotions they may feel during the day. Things like fear, anger, hysteria. If I am being chased by a predator I may react better if I have been conditioned to the emotion I am feeling.

Actually, I think that everything about that is incorrect.

95% of all dreams aren't all bad or else none of us would get any sleep. Those times when you do have bad dreams or dreams which instill fear, anger, or panic are usually the result of performing some task that had left that feeling unresolved during the day, or it is something that you have consciously or unconsciously dug up in an attempt to resolve these feelings. In a sense, it is our mind's way of rehearsing a negative situation so that we would be more able to deal with it in the future. In contrast to what you are implying, it doesn't condition you to feel an emotion, but rather put you in a frame of mind so that you are not as bothered by it. Almost unilaterally, the more often you experience something, the less of a response you will have to it, with the only exception being allergic reactions.

I guess I worded it wrong but I tried to imply that with the word condition.

I will say though do you remember all your dreams? Hard as I may try I do not, so I cannot actually tell you how many I have that are bad. I can tell you I sometimes wake up with a terrible disposition caused by a dream I can't even remember. But this is irrelevant it's not my theory.

I am partial to the first one, where dreams are simply reflections of your brain working to make synapses for things you learned, or trying to create new connections and the dream is simply a reflection; something you weren't meant to see. Hence why dreams, my dreams anyways, are always so fragmented or hard to remember.