ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Forum or IE Display Issue

pedantic

I have read pages and pages (and tried numerous search criteria) but, still, I can't find the answer to my problem. My problem is, too many of the pages I view are not centred on my screen and there is no scroll bar visible to correct this with. Here's a screenshot to show exactly what I see so that someone can post, dumkoff - click yadda yadda, problem solved (Hopefully) :whistling:

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp79/Pedantic_2008/WeirdScreen.jpg

I'd say it's more of a display/default browser zoom issue. You can zoom out by holding down ctrl and then scroll the mousewheel backwards, or forwards for zooming in. I just noted this while I changed between IE, FF and Opera that IE had the closest zooming option, while both FF and Opera had one level lower, which most likely prevents the above mentioned issue from occurring.

This also leads to one problem with IE; When you zoom out, it starts making the font used on the site slightly jagged, which means IE lacks the automatic smoothing(NOT blur.) that Opera for example seems to have. The main reason behind all of this is most likely over sized signatures by someone(In length.) or how the 'word wrap' feature on site works.(Mainly about how long it allows each row of text to be.)

In the end it comes down to what resolution your display is, what zoom level your browser is using/been 'customized' to use. If it becomes unbearable,(And even if not.) I'd advice you to change to FF, Opera or try out the google Chrome.(Which I've left alone since I'm happy with Opera.)

I'd say it's more of a display/default browser zoom issue. You can zoom out by holding down ctrl and then scroll the mousewheel backwards, or forwards for zooming in. I just noted this while I changed between IE, FF and Opera that IE had the closest zooming option, while both FF and Opera had one level lower, which most likely prevents the above mentioned issue from occurring.

Not 'All' pages are displayed incorrectly, as in, "too many ...." , but approaching almost half.

For instance, this page (when I click your reply) just resizes itself to fit my screen resolution.

Further, you might have seen (at the bottom right of my posted screenshot) the magnifying glass set at 100%. At this setting I view the whole WWW without issue and, as a rule, only ever zoom when I read PDF's. Incidentally, if I do zoom in on this page, this page is still centralised and fully visible on my screen at 130% zoom.

Thanks for your reply, it enables me to respond with further info. At least that's what I hope. :thanks:

Have you tried increasing your display resolution? I used to use the same reso as you 1024x768, however when I cranked it to 1280x1024, all of the problems disappeared with the few topics that I've seen it happen in.(This implies that I've used IE a lot, which is true, with me having over 450 pages currently open in Opera. Everytime I open it, you can imagine the load time. I only use it when I've got loads of things I need to browse simultaneously.)

If not possible, tell me and I'll try to think of other alternatives.

That happens with all browsers with large images, however FF/Opera/IE all use different zoom settings and possibly different settings for text row length control/sharpen/smoothing settings. If pedantic wants to stick with IE, I believe cranking up the resolution would solve this, otherwise a change of browser could help. I'll just throw in the links for the heck of it;

Opera download(clicky)

Mozilla Firefox(clicky)

Google Chrome(clicky)

Have you tried increasing your display resolution? I used to use the same reso as you 1024x768, however when I cranked it to 1280x1024, all of the problems disappeared with the few topics that I've seen it happen in.(This implies that I've used IE a lot, which is true, with me having over 450 pages currently open in Opera. Everytime I open it, you can imagine the load time. I only use it when I've got loads of things I need to browse simultaneously.)

If not possible, tell me and I'll try to think of other alternatives.

Yes, 1280 x 1024 resulted in the reference page politely popping into place. However, I can't read a darned thing at that resolution. I'm an aged individual. :rolleyes:

In that same thread, now that I can see the righthand side of the screen, I noticed even URL text breaking out of the text box.

Sigh, I need to go back to 1024 x 768, even then I have to glue my snout to the screen. Thanks for your consideration. :thanks:

Well, there are still those three other suggested browsers, if you don't mind switching. :) Glad if these posts helped you though.

~Elraine

edit; On a note, although it's slow, you can use your mouse to start whiting out(Can't remember the correct term/word for it.) the text and moving your cursor to the right edge of the page, so it starts automatically dragging the center of your browser in the same direction, which lets you read what's hidden there. Another option is to simply quote the unreadable posts and read them in the reply window.

I use Firefox & the only time it stretches off screen like that is when a large image is loading on the page (regardless if on-screen or not).

That's as far as I got in my enquiries, the reference screenshot I posted was loosely on that subject. I couldn't reply earlier, Flood Control playing up this end .. Thanks for your input. :thanks:

EDIT: And I lost half of my CTRL-C post, ugh! The first part. Yes, I have Internet Options/ Advanced/ Multimedia/ Automatic Image Resizing - enabled. That's a normal occurence when your own resolution is exceeded.

Well, there are still those three other suggested browsers, if you don't mind switching. :) Glad if these posts helped you though.

~Elraine

I'm an Engineer, so I'm not about to change browser without first dicovering the reason behind my problem. It only ever occurs on this brilliant Nexus. :wallbash:

Archived