[REQ].223 Pistol

bonghead1918

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget .223 Pistol I want this its so fallout.

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/...hunder_50_.html

and yes you can fire it comfotably due to the extreme muzzle brake, its just loud as hell and you wouldn't want to standing next to the shooter.

Heres the junk version.

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/...aadi_griff.html

Yes these are real.

Yes they are real - Real Stupid. I guarantee that unless its bolted into a bench rest that you'd never fire it twice.

You need to understand that there's a few guns like this that were simply made for the laughs and bragging rights, and this is precisely one of them

If you'd ever fired a .50 BMG rifle, you'd understand that the muzzle brake barely makes survivable -not comfortable- to shoot in rifle form, and that there isn't a muzzle brake on the planet that would make it shootable when cut down to that size & such a light weight.

Certainly, there's techniques for handling high-recoil handguns that could be applied.. and that might save you from breaking your wrist and just leave you with nasty bruises instead.

FWIW, all muzzle-braked guns are loud as hell and you wouldn't want to be right next to the muzzle of an M82, either.

Wreckless I appreciate & respect your knowledge of weapons is far more then mine (being an Aussie I can't even have an SKS). I agree with you completely but you don't see people firing 7.62 x 51mm man portable miniguns either in real life either... unless your jesse ventura and firing blanks alone was almost unmanagable for him. Irrespective of whether its practical in reality or not you must agree it does fit fallout. And there is a Vid on the net of the chick in the pics firing that "Handgun" where its doesn't seem too bad I'd argue that it is no more impractitle then the .50 S&W revolver.

Anyway what I'd really like to see more then anything would be a 0.50 BMG Gast Gun (For W40K fans thats a Reaper Autocannon) I can totally see a BOS paladin mowing down Super Mutants with one practicularly when theres so much .50 BMG ammo in circulation & in storage someone would try to make use of it.

Wreckless I appreciate & respect your knowledge of weapons is far more then mine (being an Aussie I can't even have an SKS). I agree with you completely but you don't see people firing 7.62 x 51mm man portable miniguns either in real life either... unless your jesse ventura and firing blanks alone was almost unmanagable for him. Irrespective of whether its practical in reality or not you must agree it does fit fallout. And there is a Vid on the net of the chick in the pics firing that "Handgun" where its doesn't seem too bad I'd argue that it is no more impractitle then the .50 S&W revolver.

Anyway what I'd really like to see more then anything would be a 0.50 BMG Gast Gun (For W40K fans thats a Reaper Autocannon) I can totally see a BOS paladin mowing down Super Mutants with one practicularly when theres so much .50 BMG ammo in circulation & in storage someone would try to make use of it.

And there is a Vid on the net of the chick in the pics firing that "Handgun" where its doesn't seem too bad I'd argue that it is no more impractitle then the .50 S&W revolver.

... Wait, did you just say that there is a video in the internet of a girl in the pictures firing a handgun? Is it a video or a single picture now? (However I'd love to see the video (or was it a picture) you were talking about. Mind to send me the URL?)

Alright, casting that aside:

I don't see how being an aussie prevents you from gaining knowledge about weapons and calibers. Just scavenge the internet some more! :)

By the way, some members in the community might feel slightly offended by your post, implying that even a woman is able to fire that handgun.

You should be careful on what you start arguing. I believe you would lose your argue about, a .50BMG pistol being just as impractical as a .50AE S&W, before wreckless even starts. So you really should start to differ between .50BMG and .50AE before throwing in assertions you don't know a thing about, just because you saw a vid on the net of a chick in a pic firing some ridiculous gun...

As for comparison. This is a supposedly .50BMG revolver shown below. And no, I am sure she isn't suicidal enought to fire it without benching it - if she ever decides to do so.

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/50bmgrevolvercompound.png

You also should differ between a thread requesting a .223 pistol and a thread for "Warhammer 40k Autoreaper caliber 50.BMG Autocannon"

So if you want to appreciate and respect something, respect that first.

biggest real working wheel gun ive seen was a .600 nitro (i think it was nitro)

i could hardly imagine firing that stuff out of a rifle, let alone a revolver

Why am I not surprised that Vash knows a bit about really huge revolvers? lol :)

You're absolutely right, it was a very expensive one-off made for some crazy Swiss gentleman that must have been determined to win the ubiquitous "I have the bigger gun" arguments.

I found a page on it with a quick google search

http://www.vincelewis.net/60magnum.html

While it speaks about the gun's 13 lb weight making it 'shootable' I'll let the expression on the guy's face speak for how practical that is. There's a video of a .600 Nitro Express single shot handgun (a custom barreled Thompson-Center Encore) being fired, too. I'll also let that speak for itself lol.

Yeah, .600 Nitro Express is not a joke, as it says on the page the typical modern load is a 900 grain projectile at 1800-1900 feet per second.

Now, as for the .50 handgun idea - time for a few pictures followed by a little physics :)

http://turboninjas.com/gallery/d/44083-1/Deagle_50_50_1.jpg

Here's a picture of my .50 BMG dummy round you saw earlier in this thread, sitting next to my Father's polished chrome .50 AE Desert Eagle, and a .50AE cartridge.

Note that the .50 BMG's casing capacity for gunpowder is well in excess of four times the volume of the .50 AE casing.

That .50 AE fires a 325gr bullet at about 1400 feet per second from that DE. The DE weighs about 6lbs and is gas-operated, which helps act as a shock absorber with the recoil, its more of a harsh shove, unlike the sharp punt of recoil experienced in powerful revolvers or single-shot handguns. That being said it is still quite a handful for a novice shooter and it is almost impossible to shoot accurately in rapid fire in 'Counter-Strike' style despite my experience in PPC matches. I gave up because the ammo was just too expensive to justify the practice lol.

The .50 BMG, on the other hand, fires a 680-720gr projectile at 2800-2900 feet per second. Think about that for a second. We're talking about more than twice the mass being accelerated to over twice the velocity. Now go back to high school physics class, and yes, I know its tough - the impossibly beautiful blonde girl I had a crush on was assigned to sit next to me in physics, so it was quite a task to fully pay attention... Fate has a sick sense of humor sometimes..

Anyway, What happens when you double mass *AND* velocity? The it results in EIGHT TIMES the KE.

But lets check the exact numbers first! To keep things simple and convert to everything nice, lovely and sensible metric (I wish the US would convert already, seriously!) and since this isn't that big of a deal we'll go to two significant figures.

So converting the .50AE and .50BMG projectiles from 325 grains and 680 grains respectively, we get:

.50 AE 325gr = 21.05 grams

.50 BMG 680gr = 44.05 grams

For velocity the conversion is much simpler:

.50 AE 1400fps = 426.72 meters per second

.50 BMG 2900fps = 883.92 meters per second

So lets calcuate the kinetic energy of both examples-

For .50 AE we get

(.5).002105 kg x (426.72)^2 = 191.64 Joules. That's a pretty considerable amount of energy.

For .50 BMG we get

(.5).004405 kg x (883.92)^2 = 1720.84 Joules. Yes, that's approaching ten times as much energy because both the velocity and mass have been slightly more than doubled.

Now thanks to Mr. Newton's third law we know that this is shoving in both directions. For the sake of argument, lets assume that the muzzle brake on the Senseless Technologies "Mister McFifty" .50 BMG Hand Howitzer is almost impossibly effective and cuts the felt recoil by a full 50%. Keep in mind that no practical muzzle brake exists that is anywhere close to this effective. Most of the systems you find on a .50 BMG rifle will be in the 30-35% range at best.

So, 50% it is! Then we're still dealing with 191.64 J vs 860.42 J. Over four and a half times the energy of a handgun that is on the bleeding edge of what is truly practical and manageable.

And that's enough math for me for a Saturday but you all are welcome to go on with it - factor in the greater mass of the .50 BMG "pistol", etc etc, do whatever - No matter how generous one is with things like unrealistic muzzle brake effectiveness, its extremely unrealistic.

The bottom line is that under no circumstance would that ever be viable. Super Muties, maybe, if they had the patience to deal with a single-shot bolt action or swinging breech-lock but that doesn't really seem to fit in with their psyche to me. Power Armor? Power Armor doesn't seem to help out your wrist or hands from what I've seen of FO1/FO2 canon and the existing FO3 models. If anything, with your arms being held rigid by the Power Armor it'd just focus that much more punishment into your hand and wrist and it would likely be even more painful because of that.

And about that oh-so-famous Stembridge M134A that made appearances in Predator and Terminator 2 - it was actually quite manageable when firing blanks because blanks have virtually zero recoil. Also, the actor never carried any quantity of ammo OR the power source - if you watch either movie closely you can see the power cable coming out of the back of the gun and going off-screen. Besides, comparing a 70+ lb weapon firing blanks to a .50 BMG pistol firing live ammo is almost diametric opposites.

Besides, in Fallout the 'minigun' fires 5mm - remember that the only thing that really held back the XM214 'Microgun' in 5.56 was the dual need for a reliable power source (fission batteries, anyone) and the copious amounts of ammo it needs to be fed. But then we deal with the fact that according to FO3 a minigun + 5000 rounds of 5mm ammo weigh a total of 18lbs but hey, its not like people have been pushing to fix obvious oversights like that :)

lol im surprised i managed to read all that. i was too distracted by that beautiful gun you have pictured there. XD the desert eagle is my favorite American designed handgun btw :wink: and not for reasons pertaining to what movies or games it has been featured in.

but yeah, there is no question in my mind that those bmg's pack quite a punch, im glad someone actually did the math lol

lol im surprised i managed to read all that. i was too distracted by that beautiful gun you have pictured there. XD the desert eagle is my favorite American designed handgun btw :wink: and not for reasons pertaining to what movies or games it has been featured in.

but yeah, there is no question in my mind that those bmg's pack quite a punch, im glad someone actually did the math lol

The one thing I still can't get over about the DE is just how bloody huge it is.

Every handgun I own looks comically small sitting next to it.

Naturally, the day my Father bought the DE I asked him if he'd ever seen Snatch - and he hadn't.

He almost died laughing at the infamous "Desert Eagle. point five-oh" scene with Bullet Tooth Tony. What a great movie!

Edit :

You know, I don't think I could pick just one *Favorite* I held above all others. Like cars, some firearms have a charm that isn't quantifiable in numbers. Like my little Remington 600 carbine, for instance. Its not particularly accurate compared to many other rifles that shoot .308/7.62 NATO. Its just a tiny little fixed-magazine bolt action with a semi-decent scope on it on paper - but I utterly love the little guy and its one of my favorite rifles.

BTW, even with the scope its at least a pound *lighter* than the .50 AE Desert Eagle LOL.

Archived