[REQ].223 Pistol

bonghead1918

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And about that oh-so-famous Stembridge M134A that made appearances in Predator and Terminator 2 - it was actually quite manageable when firing blanks because blanks have virtually zero recoil. Also, the actor never carried any quantity of ammo OR the power source - if you watch either movie closely you can see the power cable coming out of the back of the gun and going off-screen. Besides, comparing a 70+ lb weapon firing blanks to a .50 BMG pistol firing live ammo is almost diametric opposites.

Besides, in Fallout the 'minigun' fires 5mm - remember that the only thing that really held back the XM214 'Microgun' in 5.56 was the dual need for a reliable power source (fission batteries, anyone) and the copious amounts of ammo it needs to be fed. But then we deal with the fact that according to FO3 a minigun + 5000 rounds of 5mm ammo weigh a total of 18lbs but hey, its not like people have been pushing to fix obvious oversights like that :)

I think I read the biggest problem he had on the movie set was the torque effect from the rotating barrels making the weapon almost uncontrollable when fired, which is simple to fix in theory with a counter rotating cylinder mass at the center of the barrels. Would it be possible for a human to fire 5.7 x 28mm or the MP7 round from a minigun at 3000 rpm??

I never said a .50 BMG pistol was a good or sensible idea in reality but does it fit fallout?? I think it does as a backup weapon to deal with SMs.

Is anyone working on the AR-15 Beowulf?? this gun has SM bullet hose written all over it.

Oh, it's another "I think I have once read" posts. ;)

Madcaddie, you throw in one assertion after the other without proof or sources. As you might have already read (If you have even bothered reading the post of wreckless at all, which I saddly start to doubt - You might not even have seen the pictures and Joule statistics), it would be even impossible to fire a 50BMG pistol with a power armor on. So wreckless technically already did the math, on how your requested single shot 50BMG pistol would work in a fictional game with Supermutants storming at you. Also he had stated, that your movie heroes were firing blanks. Also 5mm isn't the same as 5.7mm.

However, if you really desire a .50BMG pistol that much... I am sure you can rename .44 ammunition to .50BMG and set the damage value on a gun to your desired level.

Once again, you should start to differ between a thread requesting a .223 pistol and a thread requesting "AR-15 Beowulf" - Why not start a new thread then?

I am sure you will find plenty of other community members joining in with you on your requests.

@Vash here it is (around 3 minutes):

Dude whats with the hostility?? Do you have anything positive to contribute?? whether 0.50 BMG is practical or not in a handgun it is irrelevant as I never claimed it wasn't. The fact remains some nutcases have made handguns to fire .50 BMG and yes they have fired them this is a fact. As for 5mm & 5.7mm congratulations for pointing out the difference that didn't answer my question though did it?

Wreckless in your calculations you've used the muzzle velocity of a rifle/machine gun what velocity would that round have with a 4-6 inch barrel??

...Hmmm, I guess you are right.

Since I absolutely don't have anything useful to contribute right now to actually help modding the .223 pistol (unlike you as it seems) - may that be with technical details or models - I will take my leave since it would be unfair bumping up this thread further for no apparent reason. ;)

I'm actually curious, but with from the two images Vash posted in the thread on the bethesda boards it looks like his .223 is set to reload like the .45 revolver in game already. I'm not complaining (as I like revolvers and think that animation is pretty well done) I just want to know if that was the intended effect.

btw cheers on the model, Vash. Got an old fanboy drooling and adding this to his xmas wishlist!

Dude whats with the hostility?? Do you have anything positive to contribute?? whether 0.50 BMG is practical or not in a handgun it is irrelevant as I never claimed it wasn't. The fact remains some nutcases have made handguns to fire .50 BMG and yes they have fired them this is a fact. As for 5mm & 5.7mm congratulations for pointing out the difference that didn't answer my question though did it?

Wreckless in your calculations you've used the muzzle velocity of a rifle/machine gun what velocity would that round have with a 4-6 inch barrel??

The velocity of the projectile itself would be a good bit slower out of the 6in pistol barrel of course, but that's not going to affect the recoil because you're still igniting the same amount of gunpowder when the hammer drops and thus you're releasing the same amount of energy. Just less of that energy is making it into the projectile itself in the form of velocity. For what it's worth 2800-2900 is on the lower side of .50 BMG velocities.

Conversely, that .50AE from a 16in carbine barrel would likely pick up 200fps or so, but as with any pistol round the gunpowder itself is formulated specifically to dump its energy quickly in order to get the most velocity possible out of a shorter barrel. So depending on the load it might not even pick up that much.

But If we wanted to get that deep into the nitty gritty and make it truly accurate I'd just pull back the .50 BMG's generous 50% efficient muzzle brake to a more realistic 35% and the stratification would be much wider between the two despite adding 200-250fps to the .50AE calculations.

Honestly, using Joules calculated from projectile velocity and mass is far from perfect for this exercise, I'll totally admit that - but the true underlying math in the PE of the gunpowder acting on the weapon as a weighted system, etc makes the math much more complicated and would essentially illustrate the same damn thing, and I'm speaking from experience of having calculated a lot of this stuff for a 200 level physics class I took.

Archived